Catholic-themed movies w/ majority cast kids?

Started by Geremia, May 07, 2021, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

I'm looking for a sort of Catholic-themed version of the Sandlot, comedy or not.

Lydia Purpuraria

One movie that comes to mind is The Perfect Game

It's been years since I last watched it, so I pretty much forget the specifics -- but it's about a Mexican Little League team and they are Catholic so there are religious references and Catholic imagery, etc., throughout the film.  Might be one that works for what you're looking for?

Geremia

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on May 07, 2021, 05:48:44 PMMight be one that works for what you're looking for?
Not really. I can't remember it having much of a Catholic theme in it, does it?

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Geremia on May 07, 2021, 06:11:47 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on May 07, 2021, 05:48:44 PMMight be one that works for what you're looking for?
Not really. I can't remember it having much of a Catholic theme in it, does it?

If you're looking for a "Cristeros-type" or very specifically Catholic theme or story, then no, it's not like that.  But for "a sort of Catholic-themed version of the Sandlot", it fits the bill pretty well, I think.  The kids' priest, prayer, Mass, reliance on their faith, etc. seemed to be pretty prevalent from what I remember.  (And sidenote: it's based on a true story.)  Like I said, though, it's been a long time since I watched it so I don't remember all of the specifics of the movie.  Anyway, just one that came to mind.

Jayne

The 1968 film Yours, Mine and Ours (not the later remake) is Catholic-themed in that it is based on a true story about a Catholic family.  A widower with ten children marries a widow with eight children and they have more children together.  While the story is primarily focused on the parents there are a lot of children in it.  This does not have the sports elements that  Sandlot does. 
Here is a trailer that gives a good idea of what it is like:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pUDnXA0F4[/yt]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Geremia

Thanks
Quote from: Jayne on May 08, 2021, 06:23:02 AMThis does not have the sports elements that  Sandlot does.
That's okay. My reference to Sandlot wasn't intended to mean I'm looking for movies with sports elements.

alittlebirdie11813

Formed.org has a movie about the Vendee in which the cast is entirely kids, it's very amateur but it's very sweet, it's called The Vendee or something
PAX ET BONVM