To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalLogos

"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 28, 2021, 07:24:32 PM
Where's PdR at?

Neil Young sang, "rock n' roll can never die."  But Neil Young was wrong.  Rock music is dead.  The novel is dead.  Cinema is dead.  I'm not saying movies aren't being made; I'm just saying the aesthetic and the language are too much in the vein of modernity's ugliness and fashionable rainbow politics.  I think we are living at the end of an age.  This isn't even decadence.  Verlaine and Baudelaire and Toulouse-Lautrec were decadents, and we moderns can look back on that fin de siècle culture as quite beautiful in comparison to our own.  This is something far worse.  This present century is the end of civilization.  Goodbye to it—and good riddance.  A band that recycles and consolidates every ridiculous trope of speed metal is not worth anything.  I mean, that's just comedy.  It's a gauche cartoon.

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 10:27:14 AM
Where's PdR at?

Neil Young sang, "rock n' roll can never die."  But Neil Young was wrong.  Rock music is dead.  The novel is dead.  Cinema is dead.  I'm not saying movies aren't being made; I'm just saying the aesthetic and the language are too much in the vein of modernity's ugliness and fashionable rainbow politics.  I think we are living at the end of an age.  This isn't even decadence.  Verlaine and Baudelaire and Toulouse-Lautrec were decadents, and we moderns can look back on that fin de siècle culture as quite beautiful in comparison to our own.  This is something far worse.  This present century is the end of civilization.  Goodbye to it—and good riddance.  A band that recycles and consolidates every ridiculous trope of speed metal is not worth anything.  I mean, that's just comedy.  It's a gauche cartoon.

Entirely agreed. 

I suspect you disagree here, but it seems to me as if God is willing civilization to die in order for it to be recreated, and that the best thing to do is position oneself to capitalize on the subsequent opportunity this brings.

Perhaps what you view as a disagreement between us is actually two people talking past each other.

The Dragonforce and Beets posts were done in jest, people are overly sensitive about music and I ruthlessly exploit that for my own amusement, as well as to teasingly signal my disapproval. 
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Melkor

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 10:27:14 AM
Where's PdR at?

Rock isn't dead, it's actually making a comeback IMO. A lot of young guys listen to both new and old stuff.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 10:45:09 AM
I suspect you disagree here, but it seems to me as if God is willing civilization to die in order for it to be recreated, and that the best thing to do is position oneself to capitalize on the subsequent opportunity this brings.

Right.  I think civilization is coming to an end, and something (who knows what) will grow up in its place.  Maybe traditional Catholicism will.  It does seem to have some hipster cachet.  But maybe too much.  After all, the Evangelicals have the numbers—and the guns.  You yourself accuse traditional Catholics of LARPing.  You could well be right, and wasting time disputing like rabbis on the internet will render the movement ineffectual when the moment comes.  A nicely-waxed mustache and well-trimmed stubble and finely-parted hair and a heap of studiously-considered opinions will not be worth much.

Or maybe it will be tattooed Norwegians with topknots, listening to pagan death metal and sacrificing horses.  Depending on the extremity of the collapse, it may all become balkanized.  That would be good.  Things would get more völkisch.  As for whether God is charge of all this, yo no sé.  It's like what Laplace said on the functioning of the cosmos, when Napoleon asked him where God fit into the equation.  "I have no need of that hypothesis."

Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 10:45:09 AMThe Dragonforce and Beets posts were done in jest, people are overly sensitive about music and I ruthlessly exploit that for my own amusement, as well as to teasingly signal my disapproval.

Ah, I see.  It is difficult to discern these things, though, since you had said you were in earnest about liking Taylor Swift.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Melkor on April 30, 2021, 11:07:45 AMRock isn't dead, it's actually making a comeback IMO. A lot of young guys listen to both new and old stuff.

I only have a small sample size for my anecdotal evidence, but all I seem to encounter these days among the young and the male is hipster fairies or hip-hop goons.  That, and the "bros," of course, who I suppose must listen to rock music on occasion, but I imagine their tastes in it must be poor.  Nu-metal and such.

dellery

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 10:45:09 AM

Right.  I think civilization is coming to an end, and something (who knows what) will grow up in its place.  Maybe traditional Catholicism will.  It does seem to have some hipster cachet.  But maybe too much.  After all, the Evangelicals have the numbers—and the guns.  You yourself accuse traditional Catholics of LARPing.  You could well be right, and wasting time disputing like rabbis on the internet will render the movement ineffectual when the moment comes.  A nicely-waxed mustache and well-trimmed stubble and finely-parted hair and a heap of studiously-considered opinions will not be worth much.

Or maybe it will be tattooed Norwegians with topknots, listening to pagan death metal and sacrificing horses.  Depending on the extremity of the collapse, it may all become balkanized.  That would be good.  Things would get more völkisch.  As for whether God is charge of all this, yo no sé.  It's like what Laplace said on the functioning of the cosmos, when Napoleon asked him where God fit into the equation.  "I have no need of that hypothesis."

Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 10:45:09 AMThe Dragonforce and Beets posts were done in jest, people are overly sensitive about music and I ruthlessly exploit that for my own amusement, as well as to teasingly signal my disapproval.

Ah, I see.  It is difficult to discern these things, though, since you had said you were in earnest about liking Taylor Swift.

The top-knotted pagan types are bigger LARPers than any Trad, and will probably go down in a wince inducing display of masochism in the event of a fight.

At any rate, I do not see what's so bad about Taylor Swift, but admittedly am a hopeless sucker for the sung female voice.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Melkor

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 11:24:55 AM
Quote from: Melkor on April 30, 2021, 11:07:45 AMRock isn't dead, it's actually making a comeback IMO. A lot of young guys listen to both new and old stuff.

I only have a small sample size for my anecdotal evidence, but all I seem to encounter these days among the young and the male is hipster fairies or hip-hop goons.  That, and the "bros," of course, who I suppose must listen to rock music on occasion, but I imagine their tastes in it must be poor.  Nu-metal and such.

I used to work at a cabinet shop before college. The boss had an IPad hooked up to two massive speakers. You could listen to any kind of music you wanted; as long as it was heavy. Once a guy put on Drake essentials. I swear every other guy (including myself) wanted to kill him. I feel like while pop and hip hop are pretty mainstream, a lot of people still listen to the real stuff. 

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Mono no aware

Quote from: Melkor on April 30, 2021, 11:52:02 AMI used to work at a cabinet shop before college. The boss had an IPad hooked up to two massive speakers. You could listen to any kind of music you wanted; as long as it was heavy. Once a guy put on Drake essentials. I swear every other guy (including myself) wanted to kill him. I feel like while pop and hip hop are pretty mainstream, a lot of people still listen to the real stuff.

No offense, but I think "heavy" is part of the problem.  There's this idea that rock music has to bite your head off.  There were some bands who did that sort of thing well in the 90s, like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, but it shouldn't have had a legacy, and from it came Nickelback and nu-metal and too much metal altogether.  Rock music, to the extent that it remains, is a macho caricature.  It's devil horns and "rock on" and "you rock" and "that's totally rockstar."  One could blame Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and not be off the mark.  Rock music was probably never meant to last, but it was good in its time.

Mono no aware

Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 11:46:55 AMThe top-knotted pagan types are bigger LARPers than any Trad, and will probably go down in a wince inducing display of masochism in the event of a fight.

You might be surprised about those pagans.  I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.  The saying used to be, "this will separate the men from the boys."  If things do go south in the future, then it will surely separate the LARPers and the poseurs from those who know what's what.  Time will tell.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 05:17:17 PM
Quote from: dellery on April 30, 2021, 11:46:55 AMThe top-knotted pagan types are bigger LARPers than any Trad, and will probably go down in a wince inducing display of masochism in the event of a fight.

You might be surprised about those pagans.  I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.  The saying used to be, "this will separate the men from the boys."  If things do go south in the future, then it will surely separate the LARPers and the poseurs from those who know what's what.  Time will tell.

The religious (and cultural) community that is in better shape to conquer the future after the West collapses is the Muslim community.

When you consider everything worldwide, they're obviously the emerging force. They have resources, will to power and a common ethos that really binds them together.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Melkor

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 05:12:33 PM
Quote from: Melkor on April 30, 2021, 11:52:02 AMI used to work at a cabinet shop before college. The boss had an IPad hooked up to two massive speakers. You could listen to any kind of music you wanted; as long as it was heavy. Once a guy put on Drake essentials. I swear every other guy (including myself) wanted to kill him. I feel like while pop and hip hop are pretty mainstream, a lot of people still listen to the real stuff.

No offense, but I think "heavy" is part of the problem.  There's this idea that rock music has to bite your head off.  There were some bands who did that sort of thing well in the 90s, like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, but it shouldn't have had a legacy, and from it came Nickelback and nu-metal and too much metal altogether.  Rock music, to the extent that it remains, is a macho caricature.  It's devil horns and "rock on" and "you rock" and "that's totally rockstar."  One could blame Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and not be off the mark.  Rock music was probably never meant to last, but it was good in its time.

None taken.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 30, 2021, 05:30:06 PMThe religious (and cultural) community that is in better shape to conquer the future after the West collapses is the Muslim community.

When you consider everything worldwide, they're obviously the emerging force. They have resources, will to power and a common ethos that really binds them together.

Do Muslims in the West tend to have a lot of guns, though?  To a good extent, they seem to be immigrant populations concentrated in urban areas.  I don't see them being so much into survivalism, prepping, hunting, gardening, and apocalypse ideas.  I mean, I know they're into their own eschatology, but they don't appear to be really living for it in the way that Christian fundamentalists are. 

I'm afraid they will go down pretty quickly.  If the West collapses, the world collapses with it.  Surely Islam will persist in the traditionally Mohammedan lands, though it will largely revert to tribalism and ganglords.  They tend to do that sort of thing well, but they'll be regional, not global.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 30, 2021, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 30, 2021, 05:30:06 PMThe religious (and cultural) community that is in better shape to conquer the future after the West collapses is the Muslim community.

Do Muslims in the West tend to have a lot of guns, though?  To a good extent, they seem to be immigrant populations concentrated in urban areas.  I don't see them being so much into survivalism, prepping, hunting, gardening, and apocalypse ideas.  I mean, I know they're into their own eschatology, but they don't appear to be really living for it in the way that Christian fundamentalists are. 

I'm afraid they will go down pretty quickly.  If the West collapses, the world collapses with it.  Surely Islam will persist in the traditionally Mohammedan lands, though it will largely revert to tribalism and ganglords.  They tend to do that sort of thing well, but they'll be regional, not global.

The idea that if the West collapses, the world collapses with it is merely an expression of our dying Eurocentrism. I think the world will survive just fine once we're gone.

In any case, the Muslim presence in the West itself is growing by each decade. They're organized, they're growing demographically and they are militant about their religion and their culture. I don't see any other group in the world at the moment that has a more cohesive worldview, a natural will to power, a presence in every continent of this planet and a willingness to engage with the world, instead of running away from it. If I had to bet, I'd bet on them.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 30, 2021, 06:14:14 PMThe idea that if the West collapses, the world collapses with it is merely an expression of our dying Eurocentrism. I think the world will survive just fine once we're gone.

Economically, I think, the world is dependent on the West.  The global economic paradigm is based on consumerism and growth.  If the West collapses economically, that's going to sting everyone everywhere, and the receding tide will strand all boats. 

It's possible that the West could disintegrate culturally and still remain economically aloft.  With a precise ideological purge of its members, the U.S. military could become the Praetorian Guard for a non-constitutional government.  But I don't see how Islam in such a situation gets anywhere without nuclear weapons or excellent military tech.  Even with a unified ethos.  If an economic collapse is avoided, brute military might will be the decider of things.