Ciao

Started by LausTibiChriste, August 28, 2018, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Yeah, well chicory was a fad among those favoring "natural foods," which was a big trend in this country in the 20th century, as you must know.   Coffee was considered by some too jolting to the body.

It was important to have a softer version of everything -- you know, kind of like the Second Vatican Council "protected" Catholics from the straight truth.

MundaCorMeum

I just like to drink my coffee, not over analyse it ;). Preferably with a healthy splash of whole milk and a teaspoon of sugar; and, frothed....ok, well, I guess I do make it slightly more complicated than it needs to be  ;D.

Also, I don't technically add chicory to my coffee myself.  It comes already mixed in with the coffee grinds I buy.  It makes for a nice bold flavor, and I use half as much grinds to get an equally strong coffee compared to pure coffee.  Which makes it more cost effective, because I like bold, strong coffee.

Gardener

Does this mean Ann-Margret is not coming?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

PerEvangelicaDicta

Another Chestertonian classic. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Jayne

Since this seems to have turned into the coffee update thread, I should report that lately I tend to use collagen powder rather than eggs in my bullet-proof coffee (along with butter and MCT oil).
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Jayne on August 30, 2018, 08:23:59 AM
Since this seems to have turned into the coffee update thread, I should report that lately I tend to use collagen powder rather than eggs in my bullet-proof coffee (along with butter and MCT oil).
I've heard that is even better for this purpose.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Heinrich

I am sure once we start talking hockey, vaccines, maple syrup and baby seal blubber sandwich recipes, he'll be back with his oh-so-elegant and refined ripostes.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

aquinas138

Quote from: Miriam_M on August 29, 2018, 01:42:01 PM
It's an herb that has a smoky flavor.  Some people brew it as a substitute for coffee.  Maybe some people add it to coffee, for all I know.

Yeah, coffee with chicory is common in and around New Orleans. Chicory became popular during the Civil War as a coffee substitute in the Confederacy, particularly in Louisiana, because the Union blockaded the Port of New Orleans and coffee was unavailable. It became traditional in New Orleans; it was also used to stretch coffee supplies during the Depression.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Prayerful

Never heard of chicory. I like to grind my own coffee beans every morning.

Laus should come back. Flounces are stupid.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

syllabus.errorum

what is the reasoning for adding collagen powder or eggs to the concoction? more importantly, HOW DOES IT TASTE?!  :P

i ask because i'm a great fan of bulletproof coffee and the ketogenic diet.

Gardener

...wouldn't egg in hot coffee turn it into egg-drop coffee and cook the egg?

I just do 2 tbsp. of coconut oil, 4 oz of heavy whipping cream, and choke it down as fast as I can.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

L.T.C.
This forum isn't for everybody; I pray for all the members every day; so I hope you stay well and let us know how you are doing from time to time.
Ches,
A truly classic post. I used to eat roasted coffee beans all day long when I worked at our family's coffee business; but I had to give Coffee up, because I could no longer tolerate the caffeine.
I once had a cup of Hierba Mate, an Argentinian herbal drink; it was the closest thing to Coffee that I ever tasted; I loved it; unfortunately, it was full of caffeine also. Alas, my kingdom for a cup of coffee! 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 28, 2018, 11:53:06 PM
Miriam_M is too busy making muffins to make coffee too, that's too much to ask. 

That's pretty adorable.  How I wish my busy-ness at the moment had anything whatsoever to do with muffin-making.  The latter would be way more fun and interesting.

QuoteAnd i only drink espresso and you can't expect me to pull shots for every single member here, I might be an english major but i'm not a barista. 

In my corner of the world, English majors are in high demand -- well employed--  so we're not relegated to cafes any longer.
:) 

QuoteSo carleen you had better get back here because only you can make the coffee.

Not to brag, but I make quite carefully, by hand, pour-over coffee, and, like a trad, I make it religiously.  It's the equivalent of espresso. 
;)

Miriam_M

And now I just realized I have to move the whole thing over to the other thread, the new one.
:coffee:

Lynne

Quote from: syllabus.errorum on August 30, 2018, 05:30:46 PM

what is the reasoning for adding collagen powder or eggs to the concoction? more importantly, HOW DOES IT TASTE?!  :P

i ask because i'm a great fan of bulletproof coffee and the ketogenic diet.

Collagen powder has no taste and dissolves instantly into coffee. And after a few weeks of putting it into my coffee, my hair got so smooth and soft, I no longer needed a hair conditioner. It's also beneficial for one's skin.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"