Top Must Read Books for Traditional Catholics

Started by Sophia3, July 25, 2018, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia3

I thought it would be fun to start a list. What would you add?
I would start with the Imitation of Christ, The Baltimore Catechism, and The Glories Of Mary.

Jacob

Question: Are these books specific to Traditional Catholics or should they be read by all Catholics?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Michael Wilson

On devotion to Our Lady: The Secret of the Rosay; The Glories of Mary.
On the spiritual life:
An Easy way to become a Saint, Fr. Paul O'Sullivan.
Conversation With Christ: The Teaching of St. Teresa of Avila About Personal Prayer. Fr. Peter Thomas Rohrbach, OCD
Christian Perfection and Contemplation, Fr. Garigou La Grange O.P.
Doctrine:
Baltimore Catechism #'s 1,2, 3.
Catechism of the Council of Trent.
The Crisis in the Church:
Open Letter to Confused Catholics, Msgr. Lefbvre
They Have Uncrowned Him, Msgr. Lefebvre
Against the Heresies; Msgr. Lefebvre.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2018, 12:43:13 PM
Question: Are these books specific to Traditional Catholics or should they be read by all Catholics?

Are the others even Catholic?  :popcorn:
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Clare

"Introduction to the Devout Life", St Francis de Sales
"All For Jesus" and "Kindness", Fr Faber
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Sophia3

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2018, 12:43:13 PM
Jacob,
When I say "Traditional Catholics" I mean Catholics. We shouldn't have to qualify it in that way, but today it is just a way to denote that you are referring to actual Catholicism and not a new religion that calls itself by the same name.

Jacob

Quote from: Sophia3 on July 26, 2018, 09:18:07 AM
Jacob,
When I say "Traditional Catholics" I mean Catholics. We shouldn't have to qualify it in that way, but today it is just a way to denote that you are referring to actual Catholicism and not a new religion that calls itself by the same name.

Those folks need solid Catholic reading material as much as we do, if not more.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Sophia3

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
Quote from: Sophia3 on July 26, 2018, 09:18:07 AM
Jacob,

Those folks need solid Catholic reading material as much as we do, if not more.
I completely agree.

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Daniel

I just finished reading A Landscape with Dragons and its sequel Harry Potter and the Paganization of Culture by Michael O'Brien, and they are excellent. They are not about Catholicism per se, but he shows the kinds of particular theological problems (and other problems) you find in film and literature, in order that you may go about identifying these problems when deciding which fantasy/fiction books you or your children read. Specifically, he compares Rowling against Lewis/Tolkien and he does a good job explaining the difference.

And a good catechism book is St. Augustine's Enchiridion (which is also a good summary of St. Augustine's philosophical views).

GloriaPatri

For those of you with smart phones or tablets, there's the iPieta app. It has most of the well-known prayers in Latin, English, and multiple other languages. The Bible, including the Douay-Rheims, Vulgata, Greek and Hebrew translations, etc are also included. Also includes Butlers Daily Lives of the Saints, readings from the traditional calendar, multiple traditional catechisms, all of the encyclicals of the popes back to Pius VI, Haydock's biblical commentary, Aquinas' Catena Aurea, Lapide's gospel, Pauline, and Joahine commentaries, and a whole bunch of spiritual readings. And to top it all off, it has a huge collection of the ante-nicene and nicene fathers, along with the Summa Theologica and Summa Contra Gentiles.

Even though I no longer identify as a Catholic in any meaningful sense, I still find the app to be incredibly useful and well put together. Also, I believe it is free (though I can't be 100% certain, since if I did pay for it it was years ago).

Heinrich

" The School of Christian Perfection" by St. Alphonsus Liguori. 201 level reading, perhaps.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Innocent Smith

The Rheims New Testament which is available online for free as a PDF.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

samguk yusa

Saint Philomena the wonder worker by Father Paul o sullivan