WTB: Douay Rheims or Vulgate Bible

Started by dueSicilie, October 23, 2013, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dueSicilie

I love old books. I would really like to buy an old Douay-Rheims or Vulgate bible.

PM me!

dueSicilie

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

I've got a Confraternity Version that I'd be happy to sell. St. Joseph textbook edition.  ;)
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Tan Books used to carry a very nice 1899 Challoner Vulgate.  The English is easy to read.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

You still looking? I have a DRB from the mid to late 1800's, good condition, but I have no idea what the value might be. I can take pics. It has a personal inscription and some family tree info in it from the original owners.

If still looking, please respond here AND send a PM so I don't miss it.

Thanks.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

dueSicilie

I did not see your response! Do you still have it?

I shall send you a PM also.

Baldrick

I've been reading the Biblica Sacra juxta Vulgatam Clementinam - it's a fairly large book; and I would like a small-format, bedside version.  Anyone know where I can get such a thing? 

Gardener

Quote from: dueSicilie on July 08, 2015, 02:53:03 PM
I did not see your response! Do you still have it?

I shall send you a PM also.

I still have it. Will get some pics together and send them to you.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

dueSicilie

Quote from: Baldrick on July 08, 2015, 03:05:22 PM
I've been reading the Biblica Sacra juxta Vulgatam Clementinam - it's a fairly large book; and I would like a small-format, bedside version.  Anyone know where I can get such a thing?
I do not know, but have you perchance a cunning plan?

Baldrick

Quote from: dueSicilie on July 08, 2015, 07:00:44 PM
Quote from: Baldrick on July 08, 2015, 03:05:22 PM
I do not know, but have you perchance a cunning plan?

;D   ...was wondering when I was going to run into a fellow "Black Adder" fan, lol.  I was last night looking for a good "I have a cunning plan" scene but it appears the best ones have been taken down from youtube.  I did find, however, a few episodes that were either never aired/were pilots, and were not part of the boxed release. 

Arun

blackadder was great. seasons three and four were my favourites, season two was great too but the first run while it had some great moments just wasn't as good as the rest.

to the OP: do any booksellers where your at sell the "Family Fireside Edition" bibles? The Vulgate version of those is a real treasure.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Baldrick

Quote from: Arun on July 09, 2015, 08:55:27 PM
blackadder was great. seasons three and four were my favourites, season two was great too but the first run while it had some great moments just wasn't as good as the rest.

to the OP: do any booksellers where your at sell the "Family Fireside Edition" bibles? The Vulgate version of those is a real treasure.

I agree completely.  It took a while to find it's legs.  I still love watching season one though; there are some great moments, as in two.  But three and four are just superb, some moments of real genius.  I won't say anymore so not to ruin it for anyone else. 

Gardener

Attached in PDF to this post.

Let me know if you can't see it and we can go the email route.

I'm simply unsure as to the exact printing date of this Bible, but I suppose if we could find out the earliest year of each Bishop, who approved it, that would give us a no earlier than year. If we can figure out when the first one to die was, that would give us a no later than year.

When I looked it all up before, I was thinking sometime between 1850 and late 1800s or so, but it's been a while since I did the math.

Gardener

This page contains a bunch of title page scans with publishing year info:

http://bibles.wikidot.com/sadlier-quarto-reprints

A diligent comparison with the copy in hand, in addition to the NET/NLT dates of the approving Bishops should yield a good ballpark estimate.

Oddly, many of the title pages on the website contain printing year, with the exception of 1845 (and perhaps others -- haven't been able to compare all yet).

My copy does not have the printing year. One will also notice the "With Annotations" is also in capitalize, fancy print. That feature is not common to all printings, so it should help narrow the potential years.

ETA: This page contains some publisher info: http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/SADLIER/Husband.htm