Authority of a husband over wife's medical care

Started by Bernadette, April 22, 2024, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

This came up in another thread, and I asked the question there, but I wanted to oppen it up to a wider audience and get your opinions.

Quote from: Bernadette on April 22, 2024, 02:19:56 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on April 18, 2024, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on April 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PMWeren't her fluids withheld as well?  I can't remember the exact details, I was a wee lad at the time. 

Yes, and Cekada references that:

"A wicked husband still maintains his headship over the wife before God and his "domestic and paternal authority.  He has the right to say yes or no to ice chips and Jello, unless and until an ecclesiastical or civil court, for a grave and just reason, legitimately impedes him from exercising his right."

The ice chips and Jell-O reference would only be for someone who could swallow.

A husband has the right to refuse jello and ice chips for his wife? What if she's conscious? Does he still have the same right?
Does a husband have the authority to refuse certain medications or treatments for his wife, if she's competent?
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

No, the husband is not the owner or master of his wife; she has the right to decide for herself, as long as her decisions are in accord with morality.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

queen.saints

"It is fundamentally the patient himself who has the right to decide whether or not he shall continue with [even] a useless and extraordinary means which will prolong his intense suffering...

"the first rule concerning the doctor's duty: he must do what the patient wishes. It is the patient who has the right to use or to refuse the extraordinary means; hence, it is primarily the patient who must be consulted. Obviously there are many cases in which it is impossible to consult the patient, e.g., when he is delirious or in a coma, or when he is a small child. In these cases the right to make the decision is vested in those who are closest to the patient, i.e., husband, wife, parents, guardians... the relatives do not make this decision precisely in their own name, but rather as representing the patient; hence, they should try to determine what he would reasonably want done under the circumstances."

Fr. Joseph McFadden, Medical Ethics, 1958
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.