A book to be avoided - The Kingdom of Little Wounds

Started by Habitual_Ritual, February 28, 2015, 11:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habitual_Ritual

So, Mrs Habit picked up a book for teens that she hoped would be a but 'Princess Bride-ish'.

It wasn't. Be aware, the book titled ' The Kingdom of Little Wounds ' describes itself as a "fairy tale about syphilis," . There is all kinds of sex and perversion in this book that no adult, let alone teen need sully themselves with.

Here is one review from Amazon:

QuoteWhat I didn't like: Pretty much everything else. This book is VERY graphic, to the point that I do not think it is appropriate for tweens or teens at all. I would not ever recommend this book to a teen or a child. I would barely recommend this to an adult. This is a very long book, and it's filled with graphic death scenes, sex scenes, rape, etc. In the first sixty pages alone there are three sex scenes, one of which ends in a death and one of which is forced. The first rapist we meet has jewels sewn into his penis so he can keep them on himself in case of emergency, with the added bonus that he gets to enjoy hurting those women he rapes. One of the protagonists believes that she was impregnated when her fiance ejaculated onto her stomach: she says that his "seed" must have found its way inside her to make her pregnant.

I spent most of the time while reading this book either shuddering in disgust or shaking my head in disbelief. People who enjoy well-written books and are not bothered by graphic violence and sex might really enjoy this book, but it's not one I would ever put in my library, nor would I consider recommending it to my patrons. I'm not sure why Publisher's Weekly passed up so many good books to put this one on their top-ten list for this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Little-Wounds-Susann-Cokal/product-reviews/1491581379/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)