Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

attiret

Ridicule (1996)

Quote from: WikipediaRidicule is a 1996 French film set in the 18th century at the decadent court of Versailles, where social status can rise and fall based on one's ability to mete out witty insults and avoid ridicule oneself. The story examines the social injustices of late 18th century France, in showing the corruption and callousness of the aristocrats.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODD-pOhZ48[/yt]

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

red solo cup

"Hell of a thing killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Matto

I just watched again a Japanese Movie from 1949 called "Late Spring". It is about a professor who tries to marry off his daughter who is reluctant to marry in postwar Japan. The director's name is Yasujiro Ozu. He is my favorite director and this is one of my favorite movies. The last scene where the father peels the apple is one of my favorite moments in any movie I have ever seen.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/embed/aQMQnHyUwJM[/yt]
I would say the movie is safe to watch for those worried about modesty issues. There are no short skirts or dresses that do not cover the knees, though there are a couple of women in pants. Perhaps Jerome would object to it but I think it most people would think it is fine to watch especially when compared to modern American movies.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

PerEvangelicaDicta

Matto, may I ask how you became familiar with this director?
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Matto

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on May 16, 2017, 10:44:40 AM
Matto, may I ask how you became familiar with this director?
When I was in college I took a class on film. As strange as it sounds they have college classes about movies that you get credit for, LOL. And one of the movies I saw was called "Tokyo Story" and was directed by Ozu. I thought it was easily the best movie I have ever seen. Later I found out that among those who consider foreign films and not just American ones, "Tokyo Story" is on many lists of the best films ever made and Roger Ebert said that of all of the movies he has ever seen, more people in the audience cry during "Tokyo Story" than any other movie. I admit that when I first saw it I also cried. Then a few years later one of the independent movie houses in New York had a series where they showed a lot of Ozu's movies and I watched a number of them and they were all very good. And then many of Ozu's movies were released in America on DVD for the first time and I bought many of them and thought they were all of the highest quality. My other favorite director is Carl Dreyer, but he only made a few feature length films. I plan on watching one of Dreyer's films again today and if I find it is safe to watch, I plan on posting about it on this thread also.

Matto

I just finished watching "Ordet" again which means The Word, directed by Carl Dreyer. It is a movie about a protestant family who live on a farm. One of the sons went insane and now believes he is Jesus Christ. I think it is one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen.

Part 1
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/embed/IWK_s93AhFo[/yt]
Part 2
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/embed/mURITCRtfFM[/yt]

I would recommend this movie for adults and not for children because something happens in the movie that I do not think young children should know about. The characters dress modestly. There is one scene where a woman is in labor and while you do not see anything you can hear her moaning in pain. But I think it is a good movie for adults to watch. Remember to turn on the subtitles by clicking on the "cc" button on the youtube video.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Matto on May 16, 2017, 07:21:38 PM
I just finished watching "Ordet" again which means The Word, directed by Carl Dreyer. It is a movie about a protestant family who live on a farm. One of the sons went insane and now believes he is Jesus Christ. I think it is one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen.

I would recommend this movie for adults and not for children because something happens in the movie that I do not think young children should know about. The characters dress modestly. There is one scene where a woman is in labor and while you do not see anything you can hear her moaning in pain. But I think it is a good movie for adults to watch. Remember to turn on the subtitles by clicking on the "cc" button on the youtube video.

Sounds and looks like my type of movie. I love black and white.  :thumbsup:
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

The Homesman with Tommy Lee Jones. Depressing.

red solo cup

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. Meh.

Heinrich

If ever i needed another reason Not to eat McDonalds: The Flounder.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

clau clau

The Bounty - 1984 (Didn't Bonaventure star in that  ;D )
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Mono no aware