Morality question

Started by Bernadette, February 22, 2024, 08:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

My uncle has offered to buy me a new sewing machine. I was going to pick one that I wanted and then sell the one that I currently have. My aunt got upset when I mentioned this to her and said that it would be wrong. Would it?
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Of course not.  It's your property, you can do as you wish with it.  Perhaps your aunt thinks you're taking advantage of your uncle by selling the old one, and earning money, when he spent money to buy you a new one, so you shouldn't make money off the deal? Some people can be very particular about that.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

Quote from: drummerboy on February 22, 2024, 09:42:16 AMOf course not.  It's your property, you can do as you wish with it.  Perhaps your aunt thinks you're taking advantage of your uncle by selling the old one, and earning money, when he spent money to buy you a new one, so you shouldn't make money off the deal? Some people can be very particular about that.
Yes, I think that's it. I told her it's no different than getting a new kindle and selling the old one, and she said it's different because my uncle would be buying me the new sewing machine, I wouldn't be buying it myself.
My Lord and my God.

The Curt Jester

The question is, what would you want with the old one if you have a new one?  Backup? In case you don't like the new one? Or to make it appear that you're not taking advantage of someone? Would she want you to throw it out instead of selling it to someone who could make good use of it?

It's bad enough that someone would give a gift with strings attached, but worse if it involves what you do with someone that you already had that they had nothing to do with.  It's worse when it's not even the person who is giving the gift who is trying to make stipulations.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Bernadette

Quote from: The Curt Jester on February 22, 2024, 11:10:21 AMThe question is, what would you want with the old one if you have a new one?  Backup? In case you don't like the new one? Or to make it appear that you're not taking advantage of someone? Would she want you to throw it out instead of selling it to someone who could make good use of it?
She wants me to tell him "no thank you I don't want a sewing machine."
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Mushroom

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Greg

Tell your Aunt that you uncle's gift is ordained by the will of God and very clearly spelled out in St. Paul's letter to the Galatians Chapter 6.

'For as ye sew, so shall ye reap'.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

benedicite

Quote from: Bernadette on February 22, 2024, 09:45:28 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on February 22, 2024, 09:42:16 AMOf course not.  It's your property, you can do as you wish with it.  Perhaps your aunt thinks you're taking advantage of your uncle by selling the old one, and earning money, when he spent money to buy you a new one, so you shouldn't make money off the deal? Some people can be very particular about that.
Yes, I think that's it. I told her it's no different than getting a new kindle and selling the old one, and she said it's different because my uncle would be buying me the new sewing machine, I wouldn't be buying it myself.
Maybe it would be a good idea to not confide in that aunt.

Baylee

I don't think this is "wrong" or sinful, but maybe consider donating your old sewing machine if it's in good condition.  This way someone else benefits in a similar way that you benefit. 

On the other hand, if you are in a situation where you need the extra money right now, then definitely sell it.  Has your uncle said anything about your old machine?

Bernadette

Quote from: Baylee on February 23, 2024, 06:34:20 AMOn the other hand, if you are in a situation where you need the extra money right now, then definitely sell it.  Has your uncle said anything about your old machine?
No, he hasn't said anything.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

The uncle knows you have an existing sewing machine?

I don't see the problem if he knows that.  If you feel bad, just tell him, "thanks, I was planning on getting a new one, and selling the old one to buy <new sewing equipment>" or something? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

diaduit

I don't mean to be rude, just curious but is it a cultural thing that your Aunt can have a say in matters in your life, you are an adult. I understand if it is but this just wouldn't really occur in my culture. 
Your Uncle is buying you a new sewing machine, he obviously knows you like sewing and its something you do so therefore I assume he knows you have one already.  I would sell the machine and use the money to buy material and make him something for himself as a return gift.