Author Topic: The Five Fold Scapular  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Acolyte

• Korporal
  • Soli Deo gloria
  • Religion: RC
Re: The Five Fold Scapular
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »
I was curious after seeing this thread and wondered if a sort of five fold medal would suffice. I came across this................

Fr. Scott Bailey, C.Ss.R. says:   
8 August 2008 at 1:14 pm   

"The wearing of multiple scapulars has been a practice with a long history in the Church. It was very strongly recommended by St. Alphonsus Liguori and until the middle of the last century was a devotion encouraged by the Redemptorists. St. Alphonsus himself wore a four-fold scapular as the Red Scapular of the Passion was unknown to him and added after his lifetime. It has become the common practice to unite the five scapulars of the Passion (Red), Trinitarians, Carmelites, Servites, and Theatines. The Red Scapular of the Passion and the Theatine Sacapular of the Immaculate Conception are “devotional” scapulars. The other three are based on the habits of the respective religious orders.

The obligations and privileges one incurs by enrollment in the five-fold scapular are the same as for each scapular individually. By enrollment in each scapular one is actually enrolled in a confraternity or archconfraternity of which the scapular is an external sign. However, by omitting the prayers or practices of any of the five confraternities one does not sin but does forgo the privileges associated with the confraterinities. The same is true of being enrolled and then later not wearing the scapulars. If one leaves off wearing the scapulars and/or the practices of each confraternity and then takes them up again he once again enjoys the privileges of being a member of the confraternity and wearing the scapulars. There is no obligation to wear a crucifix or St. Benedict medal associated with any of the five confraternities.

It is also permissable, after enrollment, to substitute a scapular medal for the scapulars if one may lawfully do so. The medal must be blessed once for each scapular. One blessing does not cover all five scapulars. The medal must have a representation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on one side and may have any representation of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the other. Thus, one wears one medal in place of all five scapulars. It is highly recommended, however, that one wear at least one cloth scapular according to one’s devotion and the medal to replace the other four. Thus if one is especially devoted to our Lady of Sorrows or connected to the Servites one would wear the Servite Scapular and the medal for the other four.

The indulgences one may gain are those of the general grants and those specific to each confraternity.

Note that:
- One may add the scapulars of other confraternities or other devotional scapulars.
- The scapulars must be of wool.
- All scapulars are attached to one pair of cords. If the Red Scapular of the Passion is one of the scapulars, the cords must be of red wool.
- Images are only required for those scapulars that demand them. Thus the Carmelite Scapular or the Servite Scapular need have no images on them.
- Chains may never substitute for the cords.
- The scapulars may be enclosed in plastic.
- After blessing and enrollment, subsequent “replacement” scapulars need not be blessed.
- Scapulars that can no longer be worn should be burnt and the ashes buried or otherwise properly disposed of."
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/08/quaeritur-five-fold-scapular/

I came across some threads and articles stating Paul VI abrogated previous indulgences which makes it all a bit confusing.

Anyhow "keep or sweep" the info offered by this Fr Bailey. :shrug:

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
Get a load of the number of Plenary Indulgences attached to this scapular, especially those that are given at the hour of death.
• Innocent XI., by his Constitution of the 10th of February, 1680, and on 1st of September, 1682, have
granted the following indulgences:
1. Four Plenary Indulgences on the day of reception, when they have the four Scapulars, provided
they go to confession and receive Holy Communion and pray for the intention of the Church.
2. Four Plenary Indulgences at the hour of death, if they receive the Sacraments.
3. A Plenary Indulgence of the Festival of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, July 16; also whenever other
Confraternities have a Plenary Indulgence; on all the festivals of Our Lord; of the Blessed Virgin;
and of the Apostles; on any two days of every week, at their option; and on every Friday, if they
devoutly meditate for some time on the Passion of Our Lord, receive the Sacraments and pray for
the intention of the Church. (you should also mention for the intention of the Holy Father.) All
these indulgences are applicable to the souls in Purgatory.
433 Plenary Indulgences
But those aren't still in effect, are they?  The Church has the power to bind and loose the indulgences...

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
I hope so.  Worse thing that can happen is that the indulgences have been abrogated (for what reason, I cannot fathom); but the promises attached to the Scapulars, from Heaven remain in place.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Elizabeth

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Dear Michael,
You've convinced me to dig out my old 5-fold and start wearing it again.  Absolutely can't remember if I was ever enrolled, must be losing my marbles.

Offline Pius Papa Decimus

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
  • Instaurare omnia in Christo
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
I was enrolled today. Deo gratias.
Pius P.P. X

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
I was enrolled today. Deo gratias.
Deo Gratias, indeed!

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline angelcookie

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 12:36:39 AM »
I used to wear the 5 fold but it was staining my stuff (maybe from shkwering and sweat?) so I wear the brown one now. I may give it another go here soon because I think we need every grace possible.  I no longer shower with them- the only thing with tha is sometimes I forget to put them back on. Oh, and if a baby starts messing with it on me so much it becomes bothersome, I take it off for a little while.

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Before I wear my five-fold, I soak them in water and rinse them off several times.  That alleviates most of the problem of staining (the problem is from the red scapular of the Passion),