Immorality on TV shows

Started by Jayne, July 24, 2014, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

This was in the "TV you're watching" thread and I thought it should have its own thread:

Quote from: Cesar_Augustus on July 24, 2014, 04:43:10 PM
Quote from: Jayne on July 24, 2014, 10:31:48 AM

Now that I am into second season, I find that the sexual immorality of the characters is bothering me more and more.  The protagonist has had sex with 4 different women over 2 years and this is not portrayed as a bad thing.  It is taken for granted as normal behaviour.  Also some lesbian relationships are introduced and all the good guys are completely fine with it.  Just knowing how this sort of subtext erodes people's understanding of right and wrong really interferes with my ability to enjoy the elements of the show that I would otherwise like.

A question not only for you, but for everyone. What you do when you find these contents in a show or movie?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Most current shows have some amount of this, but after it reaches a certain point, I just get too disgusted to watch it anymore.

Gardener

To be honest, anymore I just turn it off.

Been really reduced in the amount of content available for viewing. More kid's/family style movies and military/historical/action movies.

Don't have TV.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Archer

Quote from: totiusque on July 24, 2014, 06:20:51 PM
Quote from: Jayne on July 24, 2014, 10:31:48 AM
Now that I am into second season, I find that the sexual immorality of the characters is bothering me more and more.  The protagonist has had sex with 4 different women over 2 years and this is not portrayed as a bad thing.  It is taken for granted as normal behaviour.  Also some lesbian relationships are introduced and all the good guys are completely fine with it.  Just knowing how this sort of subtext erodes people's understanding of right and wrong really interferes with my ability to enjoy the elements of the show that I would otherwise like.

Well, this is troubling.  I'm almost finished with Season 1 and am loving the show, but if this is the direction the show is taking, then I may end up giving up on it.  White Collar did the same thing, and I stopped watching that one as well. 

I think this is the norm with mainstream shows nowadays.  Start a show with excellent characters and plot development, and once you've hooked the audience, start throwing in the homosexual garbage.  Most of the audience is too addicted to care, and you end up winning an Emmy because of it.

White Collar went from awkward comments to blatant in your face homosexuality. Person of Interest is headed that direction as well. It's really too bad as both shows have intriguing plots with excellent dialogue.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

Sucks about White Collar.

Didn't know the star actor was a deviant until the deviant FBI couple.

It was pretty good.

Oh well.  Most days my time is spent between girlfriend, SD, and work. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

totiusque

Quote from: Archer on July 24, 2014, 06:27:55 PM
White Collar went from awkward comments to blatant in your face homosexuality. Person of Interest is headed that direction as well. It's really too bad as both shows have intriguing plots with excellent dialogue.

I think POI is far more troubling if they decide to go that route.  For one, it's two of the major characters that are involved.  Every episode will have to deal with that relationship in some way.  Second, Jim Caviezel is one of the few remaining good ones left in Hollywood.  I'd hate to see a faithful Catholic stay on a show that promotes that kind of filth.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Chestertonian

I don't know what it is about TV butifind that it does not mix well with my PTSD

Gay stuff triggers me and for some reason when it is on TV it is worse

There are also a lot of immodestly dressed women.... I don't want my sub growing up thinking that's normal
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

zork

The last decent 'modern' show in my opinion was Psych.

I just stick to watching old programs on DVD, mostly 1950s and 1960s.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Pius Papa Decimus

Quote from: zork on July 24, 2014, 07:29:48 PM

I love Psych! It's a great TV show. So funny. It's actually my favorite show.
Pius P.P. X

angelcookie

Even if your watching a decent program on a family channel now you have to have the remote to flip channels because of commercials because the kids are watching- I just had to do this with that stupid commercial for the movie Sex tape with Cameron Diaz. I already didn't care for her and now she can add a slur of other adjectives to her description.

And what the heck is Jennifer Aniston lately?

Jayne

Quote from: Pius Papa Decimus on July 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM

I thought it had a lot of sexual immorality.  The main character has sex with his girlfriend and he jokes around with his best friend about homosexuality a lot.  Also the basic premise of the show is that he is lying to everyone and this is supposed to be funny.

Pius Papa Decimus

Quote from: Jayne on July 26, 2014, 05:51:33 AM
Quote from: Pius Papa Decimus on July 24, 2014, 09:24:46 PM

I thought it had a lot of sexual immorality.  The main character has sex with his girlfriend and he jokes around with his best friend about homosexuality a lot.  Also the basic premise of the show is that he is lying to everyone and this is supposed to be funny.

I never thought that much about it. I guess I'm just a product of my tv obsessed and morally numb generation. Hahah ;)
Pius P.P. X

Archer

Quote from: totiusque on July 24, 2014, 06:40:07 PM
Quote from: Archer on July 24, 2014, 06:27:55 PM

I think POI is far more troubling if they decide to go that route.  For one, it's two of the major characters that are involved.  Every episode will have to deal with that relationship in some way.  Second, Jim Caviezel is one of the few remaining good ones left in Hollywood.  I'd hate to see a faithful Catholic stay on a show that promotes that kind of filth.

I couldn't agree more with you on both points.  They already had an episode normalizing a lesbian "relationship" so it wouldn't surprise me if they open next season with Root and Shaw together.  This junk is getting shoved down our throats and Catholics aren't batting an eye.  I know Catholics who can't get enough of Modern Family.  They know why it's wrong but still think it's hilarious.

I'm not sure what to think about Caviezel.  I've listened to him talk about the Church and his faith after the Passion and he's pretty spot on.  But he's also a big supporter of Medjugorje....
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Older Salt

I believe Caviezal is blinded by the big bucks and is lost.

In Hollywood there is no hope.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Archer

There's something to that OS.  Even the strong one's like Mel lost their way.