Started by Godfrey of Bouillon, May 10, 2014, 02:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Older Salt on May 11, 2014, 10:10:02 AM
Quote from: verenaerin on May 11, 2014, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: Older Salt on May 11, 2014, 09:07:50 AM
Quote from: verenaerin on May 11, 2014, 08:55:56 AM
Quote from: Older Salt on May 11, 2014, 08:26:46 AM
I could be wrong but Pope Francis is a true liberal and he wants all Catholics under one big tent.

He most likely will regularize the SSPX unilaterally, whether Bishop Fellay asks for it or not.

No strings attached.

And that is a good thing.

I don't agree with this at all. Over the past year he has made negative comments against traditionalists, subtle and otherwise. Also, what about the FFI.

You are either for or against. We are coming to the end of fence straddling.
My brother is in the FFI and he has told me that Francis has admitted making a mistake in appointing Volpe and will soon remove him.

He will also overturn the ludicrous ruling of not allowing the FFI from offering the TLM and the Traditional breviary.

I guess we will see when this happens. Talk is cheap.
I believe my brother is telling the truth.

Praise God.

Do you believe this would have occurred had the FFI snubbed their noses and been disobedient in the matter? Or, as some cast it, "obedient"?

My personal belief is it would have corroborated Volpe's assertion of the necessity to ban/restrict. But I'm wondering what you think.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

verenaerin

I could be wrong but Pope Francis is a true liberal and he wants all Catholics under one big tent.

He most likely will regularize the SSPX unilaterally, whether Bishop Fellay asks for it or not.

No strings attached.

I don't agree with this at all. Over the past year he has made negative comments against traditionalists, subtle and otherwise. Also, what about the FFI.

My brother is in the FFI and he has told me that Francis has admitted making a mistake in appointing Volpe and will soon remove him.

He will also overturn the ludicrous ruling of not allowing the FFI from offering the TLM and the Traditional breviary.

I don't doubt your brother, I doubt the Pope.

Older Salt

Quote from: Gardener on May 11, 2014, 10:15:08 AM

No strings attached.

Praise God.

Do you believe this would have occurred had the FFI snubbed their noses and been disobedient in the matter? Or, as some cast it, "obedient"?

My personal belief is it would have corroborated Volpe's assertion of the necessity to ban/restrict. But I'm wondering what you think.
I agree.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Petrie

Quote from: verenaerin on May 11, 2014, 10:34:02 AM

No strings attached.

Yes, I don't think anyone doubts his brother.
Also known as 2Vermont in case you were wondering :-)

QuaeriteDominum

I don't think this 'short and cordial" meeting portends any new agreement or breakthrough.  Nor do I think the recognition of the SSPX is imminent. As +Lefebvre met with JPII upon his accession to the Papal See, this is merely a Roman Catholic Bishop meeting with the Pope, showing a recognition by the SSPX of his legitimacy.  The SSPX is not a sedevacantist organization and all, at least outwardly, profess to believe that he is the Vicar of Christ.  The church gives us very limited means of deposing a Pope and it does not involve the private judgements of the laity, priests, or individual bishops.

If the Pope unilaterally recognized the SSPX, there is little at risk, IMHO.  If its leaders were asked to do anything against tradition, they would ignore the direction and, perhaps, once again be suppressed.

As previous posts have pointed out, the visible church is defined as the Pope and the Bishops canonically united with him.  +Lefebvre completely understood this and regardless of how heretical the Popes acted, he always strove to remove the suppression of the SSPX. It was important enough for him to pursue, even after "I accuse the Council" of 1984 and Assisi 1986.

ADMG

Bishop Fellay denies all rumours of a forthcoming recognition/ralliement, unilateral or otherwise

According to the moderator of the largest SSPX forum in France, who has often been critical of bp Fellay, the bishop today in a conference given in France which the moderator attended, denied all rumours of an impending agreement/unilateral recognition etc from Rome. He described his encounter with pope Francis, hastily arranged, which included little more than the typical Francis' "please pray for me" line. No talk about the status of the society etc. In addition, bishop Fellay repeatedly emphasised that in the church today no agreement is possible.

This sums it up:
QuoteMgr Fellay a vraiment beaucoup et lourdement insisté tout au long de son exposé pour dire qu'aucun accord n'est possible avec Rome, ni aucun accord unilatérale non plus

Source here.

Larry

Quote from: verenaerin on May 11, 2014, 10:34:02 AM

This. I'm sure Older Salt's brother is telling the truth as he understands it. But I don't trust Francis.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Lynne

Quote from: ADMG on May 11, 2014, 04:01:08 PM
Bishop Fellay denies all rumours of a forthcoming recognition/ralliement, unilateral or otherwise

According to the moderator of the largest SSPX forum in France, who has often been critical of bp Fellay, the bishop today in a conference given in France which the moderator attended, denied all rumours of an impending agreement/unilateral recognition etc from Rome. He described his encounter with pope Francis, hastily arranged, which included little more than the typical Francis' "please pray for me" line. No talk about the status of the society etc. In addition, bishop Fellay repeatedly emphasised that in the church today no agreement is possible.

This sums it up:
QuoteMgr Fellay a vraiment beaucoup et lourdement insisté tout au long de son exposé pour dire qu'aucun accord n'est possible avec Rome, ni aucun accord unilatérale non plus

Source here.

Good.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Elizabeth

Quote from: Mysterium Fidei on May 11, 2014, 09:49:50 AM
I wonder if Francis called Fellay his "brother bishop" like he did the Pentecostal Anglican, Tony Palmer?

Oh Mysterium, that's what I'm talkin bout. 

(except TP seems more like an effete warlock than a brother)

Geremia

It looks like the SSPX isn't going sedevacantist anytime soon...

Abp. Lefebvre had the advantage of being old during the war of attrition he fought; he felt closer to death and that helped him cease playing chicken with those opposed to his consecrating a traditional bishop. Bp. Fellay is only 58! He will "wait and see" for at least a couple more decades...

lauermar

No strings attached.

From Ripley ' s Believe It Or Not. Or possibly Eye Of The Tiber. Yes I believe somebody probably read it there and told the brother. I think Lynne ' s post tells us exactly where Pope Francis stands with tradition today.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Angelorum

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ

Parresia

No strings attached.

Really?  That is incredible news!  I pray your brother is correct! 

Do you mind if I share this? 

Geremia

Quote from: Older Salt on May 11, 2014, 09:07:50 AMMy brother is in the FFI and he has told me that Francis has admitted making a mistake in appointing Volpe and will soon remove him.

Deo gratias!
Perhaps we need to give Francis a chance. He could be our modern-day Bl. Pope Pius IX. Didn't it take him at least a year to "convert" and be harsh on Liberalism?

JuniorCouncilor

Quote from: Parresia on May 11, 2014, 07:37:52 PM

Really?  That is incredible news!  I pray your brother is correct! 

Do you mind if I share this?

I would hesitate, if I were you.  It will only make things worse if it turns out to be wrong.

At Dei voluntas fiat!