Moving Movie Moments

Started by Ben, January 01, 2013, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

E.T. (1982)

We've all seen it. Some of us loved it, some didn't.

I have long been touched by the scene of Elliott mimicking John Wayne's kiss of Maureen O'Hara in John Ford's classic movie The Quiet Man.

Elliott felt everything E.T. felt.

One day while Elliot was at school E.T. raided the fridge and got drunk on some Coor's.

Elliott was in science class where the day's lesson involved dissecting frogs.

Elliott was drunk, and people react to drunkenness differently. Elliott is a sad drunk. He feels great pity for these frogs.

He leads the other students in a rebellion against the teacher, and his classmates throw the frogs out the window where they fall gently on the grass outside.

Concurrently, E.T. is at home watching John Ford's classic The Quiet Man on TV. The famous kiss scene.

Elliott mimics it. Erika Eleniak, future star of Baywatch, is running out the door in terror. A student has placed a frog between her shoes and it makes her uncomfortable. Elliott grabs her and pulls her back.

He's too short to reach her, so he stands on top of a classmate and kisses her.

A teacher grabs Elliott and takes him to the principals office.

A very touching scene!

Eleniak grew up to marry (and divorce) the actor and real estate agent William McNamara, a follower of the disinfo agent David Icke. She recently made an anti-abortion movie called Meant to Be.

Henry Thomas has continued to carve out a journeyman's career in film, looking back fondly on the days when he was the envy of all 10-year-old boys in the United States of America.

An interview Eleniak recently gave wherein she shares her thoughts about making E.T.:

gJg: What was the experience like working with Steven Spielberg?

EE: Working with Steven was wonderful. He was very playful with all of the kids and caring as well.

I remember when it was time for our on-screen kiss. He cleared the set and had private conversations with both Henry Thomas (Elliott) and myself to reassure us that it would be handled with care.

gJg: Did you ever expect the movie to become the phenomenon that it did?

EE: When I was cast for E.T. great care was taken with everyone to make sure that "E.T." stayed a secret until it was time for its release. This was done to avoid the possibility of the film being ripped off before it's release.

I was told that the name of the film was "A Boys Life" and that it was going to be about a boy and an alien. That's all. I had no idea what to expect.

I still remember sitting with my Mom, Grandma and Sister in the Hollywood Dome Theater for the premiere and just being wide-eyed the whole time!

gJg: Are there any funny stories from being on the set that you'd like to share?

EE: I think the funniest memory I have is that Henry had told everyone that he was in a "Girl Hater's Club".

The other thing was that he was 10 years old and I was 12 so we were both pretty freaked out about having to do that kiss!

totiusque

"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Ben

Amadeus (1984)

Many consider Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart the greatest composer of all times. In 1984 a Polish director named Milos Forman unleashed on the theaters of the world one of the most popular movies of that year.

Mozart had a childish nature. Some would say childlike.

In the following scene Mozart is being his usual naughty self, flirting with his future wife Constanze.

Unbeknownst to Mozart and Constanze a man is hiding in the room. His name is Antonio Salieri, a fellow composer. He has never seen Mozart before, and doesn't know that this vulgarian before him is Mozart.

In the other room Mozart's recital is beginning without him. Mozart's stands up and goes, "Shhh!"

He recognizes the music and says, "My music . . . they've started without me."

Salieri, who has heard Mozart's music and considers him a genius, is stunned that this man is Mozart.

Mozart runs out the door and down a long corridor to the sound of his music.

It is a sequence that gives me goose bumps even after all these years.

Ben

Idiocracy (2006)

A scene that can make one laugh could not be described in many cases as "moving." The following scene certainly isn't moving, but it is notable in my moviegoing history for being the one scene I actually had to stop watching for fear that I would have a heart attack.

Idiocracy was not a hit at the box office. I heard through the grapevine that it was worth seeking out and I was delighted.

It's 2005, and Rita (Maya Rudolph) and Joe (Luke Wilson) participate in a top secret military experiment called the Human Hibernation Project. Things go wrong. The man who heads the project is arrested for running a prostitution ring. The military doesn't know about the HHP, and so when the base is demolished, Rita and Joe are still in hibernation in sealed canisters.

Fast forward some years and Rita and Joe are participants in the The Great Garbage Avalanche of 2505.

You read that right. 2505. For 1/2 a millennium these two have been enjoying a deep sleep in their canisters. But now they are face to face with a new world. A dumber world. A MUCH dumber world.

This scene shows Rita walking around the city. She approaches a pay phone and is trying to make sense of things. She hasn't quite yet figured out that she's in the year 2505.

Rita approaches a pay phone  . . .

and is flustered. The automated voice on the telephone is asking her for $2000 to make the connection to her pimp.

A young man approaches and propositions her.

She is not in a great mood, and she says to the man, "Listen, can you wait a second please?"

The man says, "Oh yeah, baby, I can wait soooo good."

This alerts her to the fact that this man is very stupid. She says, "Really?"

So she says, "Think maybe you can wait a day?"

And he replies in a drawl, "Baby, I can wait two days."

She says, "That's good . . . because I charge by the hour."

So this guy hands her a wad of dough and saunters off, completely oblivious to the fact that he has been taken.

She opens one of the bills, and to her surprise:

She now has a pretty good inkling that she ain't in Kansas anymore, but in a very, very strange place!

Haha, that scene gets me every time!

Ben

Godfather, The (1972)

Most everyone has seen this movie. It is Francis Ford Coppola's most famous work, and made many of its performers stars.

I have always been touched by Michael Corleone's courtship scenes in Sicily.

Michael murdered some men in New York City . . .

and fled to Sicily to hide from the authorities. Those men he murdered could have been your grandfathers. He's a wicked man.

One day he is walking across the Sicilian countryside with a couple bodyguards.

He happens upon a young woman walking with some village women. She makes eye contact with him:

And he with her:

And she with him some more:

Needless to say Michael is smitten.

Skipping ahead a bit, he has located her father and learned her name: Apollonia. He asks the father for Apollonia's hand in marriage. The father agrees.

He goes to a get-together hosted by her family where he gets to know her better.

He hands her a present.

She says, "Thank you."

He says, "You're welcome"

Later Michael goes to Apollonia's restaurant:

He looks over at her:

She touches the necklace he gave her and she smiles:

He smiles because he's happy that she appears interested in him:

She smiles back:

Then as Carmine Coppola's music swells there's a dissolve to Michael and Appolonia walking together down a path followed by chaperones.

It just goes to show that cold-blooded murderers can fall in love, too!

Gottmitunsalex

I'll just post the one minute movie moments: (from my youtube channel  ;))
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t22FHLOnes[/yt]
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYvqX_wc04[/yt]

PRE-V2 Encyclicals
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=789beIRVEho[/yt]

This is for all the "luke-warm" Catholics who are "on-edge" and their morale is low.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjmag0bCR10[/yt]
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

piabee

When Paul Dano's character takes the color-blindness test in Little Miss Sunshine.

Ben

I'll have to see that Martin Sheen movie.

Little Miss Sunshine had a bizarre ending. Hard to believe that's legal.

LouisIX

Every damn scene in There Will Be Blood.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ben

Quote from: LouisIX on January 10, 2013, 02:23:38 PM
Every damn scene in There Will Be Blood.

Speaking of Paul Dano, what did you think of his performance?

totiusque

"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Ben

Haven't seen Hoosiers for ages.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.