Which webcams are good?

Started by Daniel, August 19, 2020, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

So I am in need of a decent webcam so that I can record videos for uploading to YouTube, and also do online job interviews over Zoom or whatever.

I use an iMac, and it has a built-in webcam... but the webcam uses a wide-angle lens, which is horrible. It's also positioned such as to look down on me, which is also bad. (And since it's built into the monitor, I can't physically move it so that it looks up on me)

I also have an older USB webcam (a Kodak S101) which is great. Not sure what the lens angle is, but it's perfect. And it's not attached to the computer so I can put it wherever I want.
However, I can't use it for what I need it for, as the camera is too low-res, too blurry (even when I adjust the focus), and the color balance is off. (And you can see the halo around me when I use my green screen on Zoom, probably due to the camera's blurriness / resolution...)

I've searched Amazon for webcams, and most of them seem to have a wide angle lens (in the range of like 90 to 120 degrees). I have no idea why. Anyone who knows anything about photography will tell you that this is the stupidest thing ever... you don't use a wide angle lens for head shots! (causes distortion like the top image here. Facial features become exaggerated, and the camera captures more background too which is undesirable)

A few of the more expensive webcams give you the option of using less wideness.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Preferably one that works with Mac, and preferably one that isn't too expensive but still at least decent video quality. (And maybe a lens angle of around 60 degrees or so.) I really don't have any money, but I suppose I have no choice but to buy one anyway.

I'm kind of wondering what people use to shoot high-quality YouTube videos? I'm assuming that they use some sort of a camcorder or DSLR rather than a webcam?

Southern Ascetic

The logitech stream cam is really good 1080p 60fps.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/streamcam

Alternatively, you can use a DSLR on a tripod with a mic. It's really up to you.