Prefer e readers or books :-)

Started by angelcookie, May 28, 2017, 12:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 01:47:23 PM
I thought I liked my Kindle better, but a buddy started loaning me a bunch of old spiritual classics.  I had forgotten how holding a book makes you connect with it.

I heard a radio interview a while back talking about how our brains activate different pathways when reading physical books vs electronic ones.  Yeah, I'm convinced that's true.

I'd be interested in reading that

Have heard the same about  audiobooks vs text.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Pheo

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 29, 2017, 03:52:42 PMI'd be interested in reading that

Take a look at this one: Your paper brain and your Kindle brain aren't the same thing.  It isn't the interview I heard, but it looks like it's the same content.  Also links to some of the primary sources at the end.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 04:25:58 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 29, 2017, 03:52:42 PMI'd be interested in reading that

Take a look at this one: Your paper brain and your Kindle brain aren't the same thing.  It isn't the interview I heard, but it looks like it's the same content.  Also links to some of the primary sources at the end.

I didn't get so much out of that article, because I read it on my PC, using "non-linear reading". I'll have to print it out, practice with a "real book", and then read it again.  :D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Pheo

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 29, 2017, 04:54:21 PMI didn't get so much out of that article, because I read it on my PC, using "non-linear reading". I'll have to print it out, practice with a "real book", and then read it again.  :D

Believe it or not, I know people who do that!
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 05:05:08 PM
Quote from: Non Nobis on May 29, 2017, 04:54:21 PMI didn't get so much out of that article, because I read it on my PC, using "non-linear reading". I'll have to print it out, practice with a "real book", and then read it again.  :D

Believe it or not, I know people who do that!

Actually, I do that myself sometimes when I want to read something more closely. Well, maybe not the practicing first!

Sometimes I download files from my PC to my Kindle.  Kindle is easier on the eyes.

I'm not consistent.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 29, 2017, 03:25:33 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 28, 2017, 07:13:26 PM
I prefer books, but I do have a Kindle paperwhite for travel and for scanalatons of manga not for sale in English.

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 29, 2017, 02:17:17 AM
I didn't know you were an otaku.  ;)

I definitely had to look this up

Is it scanalatons, scanlations, or scanslations? In any case it's not something I am likely to do.

Otaku? Sometimes.

They are useful when you can't speak Japanese and want to read stuff that hasn't been officially licensed and translated into English.  If I want to read something that IS licensed, I go buy it, so the author gets paid.

But sometimes, decades go by and no one sets up English publication.  Glass Mask began 40 years ago, and has not been published in the US.  Fan translations are literally the only option for fans who don't read Japanese.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Lynne

Quote from: Pheo on May 29, 2017, 04:25:58 PM

Ah, it looks like the article was comparing a book to a Kindle Fire (plasma screen). This other study (mentioned in the comments) involves comparing a book, a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Paperwhite (e-ink).

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083676#s3

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

I will say this, at least for the nook:

I was at a shooting competition on Saturday and we were using the nook for scoring, with one at each station. In full sun, I had exactly ZERO problems reading the screen and battery life seemed good. That had me re-thinking its usefulness. Depending on if it can be charged from my backpack solar rig, I might get one just for things like hiking and such.

I need to find out from the match director which version it was and if they were running a purpose-built program or what. If it can run homemade programs, that's even cooler because it means I could write a program for figuring things like amount of food left, calories, etc. for survival planning (i.e., if caught in a snowstorm and needing to shelter in place or something).
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on May 30, 2017, 06:26:14 AM
I will say this, at least for the nook:

I was at a shooting competition on Saturday and we were using the nook for scoring, with one at each station. In full sun, I had exactly ZERO problems reading the screen and battery life seemed good. That had me re-thinking its usefulness. Depending on if it can be charged from my backpack solar rig, I might get one just for things like hiking and such.

I need to find out from the match director which version it was and if they were running a purpose-built program or what. If it can run homemade programs, that's even cooler because it means I could write a program for figuring things like amount of food left, calories, etc. for survival planning (i.e., if caught in a snowstorm and needing to shelter in place or something).

That's so interesting! I thought the Nook was just an e-reader but it sounds like it can do more.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Non Nobis

Quote from: Lynne on May 28, 2017, 02:46:53 AM
I like books, they don't need to be re-charged.  ::) But I do 90% of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite which I love.

I have a Kindle Voyage.  It is like the Paperwhite (with e-ink) but a little better: brighter back lighting (when you want it bright), higher contrast, a little lighter and slimmer, screen flush with bezel.  However it is a LOT more expensive. When I got it it had higher resolution than the Paperwhite - which was the main reason I forked out more money.  Now I think they have the same resolution.  So I will think twice if I ever need to replace it.

I also have a Kindle Fire  :-[ (by far the cheapest). I don't have a smart phone, so this was my first foray into hand-held devices with "apps".  I read on it sometimes, but it is definitely harder on the eyes, and it is harder to organize books.  I like having both Kindles.

One big benefit of e-books for me is that I definitely read MORE since I got the Kindle. This includes spiritual reading. Books are easier to buy, easier to store, less expensive, and for me, at least in some respects easier to read. (I don't know if I am not reading them as deeply)

Lynne

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 30, 2017, 03:26:00 PM
Quote from: Lynne on May 28, 2017, 02:46:53 AM
I like books, they don't need to be re-charged.  ::) But I do 90% of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite which I love.

I have a Kindle Voyage.  It is like the Paperwhite (with e-ink) but a little better: brighter back lighting (when you want it bright), higher contrast, a little lighter and slimmer, screen flush with bezel.  However it is a LOT more expensive. When I got it it had higher resolution than the Paperwhite - which was the main reason I forked out more money.  Now I think they have the same resolution.  So I will think twice if I ever need to replace it.

I also have a Kindle Fire  :-[ (by far the cheapest). I don't have a smart phone, so this was my first foray into hand-held devices with "apps".  I read on it sometimes, but it is definitely harder on the eyes, and it is harder to organize books.  I like having both Kindles.

One big benefit of e-books for me is that I definitely read MORE since I got the Kindle. This includes spiritual reading. Books are easier to buy, easier to store, less expensive, and for me, at least in some respects easier to read. (I don't know if I am not reading them as deeply)

Back in 2011, I bought a Kindle with the little keyboard. Then I got a Kindle Fire for a Christmas gift. I like it (as a tablet) but all the apps were distracting and affecting my reading time so I got a Paperwhite. It is very nice, the e-ink is easier on the eyes. The Voyager was on sale this week for $100 but I don't need another Kindle...  :laugh:

MilesChristi

Books, I can't really tolerate an E-reader for significant works. I have tried.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Boccaccio

I have a Kindle fire, but have given up using it. Reading on a device isn't the same to me, and I seem to retain more reading print books.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bernadette

e-reader. I have books, but only ones that aren't available as e-books.  :P
My Lord and my God.

misericonfit

Quote from: angelcookie on May 28, 2017, 12:56:18 AM
I prefer the ease of the e- reader now, but used to prefer books.  :coffee:
Definitely prefer books. Books don't die on you when the electricity runs out. And books can be used to support other books. And books can be properly illustrated, unlike PDFs or HTML texts. The current abundance of bad proof-reading is a result of the spread of computer-based technology. And the smell and feel of books has no substitute. And books aren't wrecked by dodgy updates from Microsoft. Nor do they download viruses.
Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; to Thee I give it all back and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone, with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

- St Ignatius Loyola.