Campaign Thread

Started by Heinrich, September 30, 2020, 09:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

There is about a month left before the election. Do we want to have a thread wherein we post debate comments, polling, videos, other data, etc. to keep us all informed?

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Miriam_M

Jacob

Only if it's one thread.  I don't want to see the forum drown in topics every time someone creates a new one on some new event in the news that are only going to garner one or two specific replies.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Greg

I can never watch Biden without thinking of Christopher Pike in that double length Star Trek episode.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Heinrich on September 30, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
[yt][/yt]

This debate was painful to watch. The intellectual level of the conversation on both sides is, frankly, appalling. When you compare last night's dung show to the demeanor of past candidates like Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr. or even Bill Clinton, you realize how desperately poor politics has become in general. It's a reflection of the degradation of society at large.

I think that Trump did very poorly. His style is too abrasive and interrupting Biden every 20 seconds is just bad strategy. Let Biden talk, the man can hang himself if you let him. But when you interrupt him left and right, most people switch off the conversation after 5 minutes. It's like we're back to the school yard, even with the childish insults thrown around. Trump has to up his game in the next debates if he wants to appeal to the undecided voters. The faithful bases on both sides are set and won't be convinced by anything, it's the undecided that matter.

The moderator was a third debater in his own right. He let Biden off the hook a few times but that's expected. It will only get worse from now on.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Non Nobis

It was very distressing, although I suppose Trump was Trump.  I'm not a big watcher or reader of political debates, but I thought maybe I should go read the Lincoln/Douglas Debates (for Senate...) for relief from modern times getting worse.

Biden couldn't manage to be decently respectful to a President, and Chris Wallace couldn't control either candidate, and I think he was biased in favor of Biden.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/30/debate-fallout-moderator-chris-wallace-slammed-by-critics-and-fox-news-colleagues/

As the article also says, the Presidential Debate Commission is supposed to make some changes to the format to make the next debates more orderly, e.g. giving the moderator some control over the microphones.

I'm still voting for Trump, for better opinions and actions then the competition, even if not good manners and deep intellectual expression and understanding. Lincoln and Reagan are not candidates in 2020.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Vetus Ordo

Although it was excruciating to watch the 90 minutes of the debate, we can say that in substance Trump won because in substance Trump's policies are saner than Biden's and he was at least able to articulate a couple of valid points on the topics of environment, law enforcement, racism, Covid-19 or healthcare. Biden couldn't articulate anything worth anyone's time and it was a shame Trump didn't let him speak more freely because he was just drowning every time he had to string two or more sentences together. He was able to contradict himself on the GND in just a matter of 10 seconds before being saved by Wallace.

In any case, Trump has to do better in the next few debates to win the votes of the undecided. Last night's approach was exhausting and no-one is going to want to watch another spectacle like that again.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 30, 2020, 04:27:23 PM
[yt][/yt]

This debate was painful to watch. The intellectual level of the conversation on both sides is, frankly, appalling. When you compare last night's dung show to the demeanor of past candidates like Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr. or even Bill Clinton, you realize how desperately poor politics has become in general. It's a reflection of the degradation of society at large.

I think that Trump did very poorly. His style is too abrasive and interrupting Biden every 20 seconds is just bad strategy. Let Biden talk, the man can hang himself if you let him. But when you interrupt him left and right, most people switch off the conversation after 5 minutes. It's like we're back to the school yard, even with the childish insults thrown around. Trump has to up his game in the next debates if he wants to appeal to the undecided voters. The faithful bases on both sides are set and won't be convinced by anything, it's the undecided that matter.

The moderator was a third debater in his own right. He let Biden off the hook a few times but that's expected. It will only get worse from now on.

I'm sure it was painful to watch, that's why I would not.  They have all pretty much stunk, all the time.  Now I might be wrong, but I believe the first presidential debate in the "modern" era was 1976.  Ford vs Carter.  I'm pretty sure I am correct about that as it was touted as a big deal, being the first debate since Nixon vs Kennedy. 

Carter beat Ford with a KO punch, as they say, by informing Ford that yes, Poland was indeed a Communist country at the time.  Ford totally blew it as he insisted Poland was "free" since he had just visited in 1975.  And that was true, because I was there during his visit and saw his speech in the Square in Krakow and saw Betty entering the University of Krakow that day.  Total surprise to us that our President was following us on that trip.  But, I digress.

In the early '80s I was in college and even then we mocked the entire event.  They've turned the exchange of ideas and eloquent discourse into something worse than a bunch of loud mouths arguing sports at a bar. 

It's a complete disgrace and I refuse to watch anymore.  I know who I am going to vote for.  And I also am old enough to realize that my watching and rooting on my candidate will do nothing for the candidacy.  It will only give me more worry and indigestion.   
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

John Lamb

"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

Philip G.

Quote from: John Lamb on October 02, 2020, 01:33:05 AM
Trump & Melania have tested positive for COVID.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WVhujt3AQ[/yt]

Dumb video.  It is not as if the mask helps.  Nor is it as if I would believe Trump in the past to be honest about a positive test result or not.  To me this just means that Trump now has cover to more so get on board and further the plandemic onto its next stage.  Now he will be allowed to wear a mask like Biden and promote the muzzle to a greater degree, which his team has been doing.  My guess is that this is what will be the result of the Trumps testing positive.   I may be wrong, but I do not think that I am. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

drummerboy

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 30, 2020, 04:27:23 PM
[yt][/yt]

I was surprised at Trump's approach as well; I was expecting him to use his humor to demolish Biden like he did with Hillary, but now that's he president alot of what's going on isn't humorous anymore, esp the riots and destruction and deaths.  I think he was honestly pissed off and what Biden and his cronies are saying and doing, and he just let it out.  Perhaps he will be "cooler" next debate not that he blew off the steam, and demonstrated and a weak old man Biden is to boot.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

mikemac

I liked his Proud Boys "stand back" and "stand by" comment.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Greg

I like the Proud Boys.  They a basically patriots who like a fight with commies.  I hope they crack some heads.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

mikemac

Yeah.  There are a few videos online showing the Proud Boys cracking some Antifa heads.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source