Spend Lent with Dom Gueranger

Started by Magnificat, January 28, 2013, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnificat

(Disclaimer: This website is far from finished, there's still a lot of work to be done. Where you see question marks -- there is no content, only plans.)

But there's a good head start on the Septuagesima "season", or pre-Lent, under Daily Liturgy and God willing we will be able to keep it up through Lent and the rest of the year. Pertinent excerpts of The Liturgical Year by Dom Prosper Gueranger are posted with the aim of providing easy reading and meditation for the laity who usually do not own the volumes or have time to read them in their entirety. I'd hate to waste what is done if it will make good meditations for someone in the meantime so I'd like to publish the link although the website is still under construction.

http://gaudeamus-hodie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Daily.Septuagesima

The purpose of the website is to help Catholics deepen their understanding of the Catechism, the Church liturgical year and other aspects of the Faith that we often take for granted or know only superficially. Since time is such a constraint for the lay person, excerpts from a variety of sources are (will be) presented in bite size morsels that are easy to read in a few minutes then think about during daily activities. The pages are such that it's easy to pick up again where you left off, no fumbling with PDFs or deep navigation.

More is added daily and it will be a year long project (at least). There is a section under Blogs and Forums of Interest that directs for feedback or you're welcome to PM here with any questions, concerns or suggestions.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

FaithByProxy

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Magnificat

You are welcome. I am very happy to be of service.

Unfortunately the host upgraded servers and lost all of my updates. The website is back to its original form from a month ago. Among other things, this loss includes all the Septuagesima pages.  :'(  I will see if it can be restored but in the meantime, it feels like Lent has already started. That was a lot of work to see go down the drain.

Magnificat

It is restored  :)

Thank goodness. Now I know I'm an idiot -- websites must be backed up!

Cesar_Augustus

Magnificat

Ash Wednesday is done and I hope to have some time to get a few weeks ahead for Lent.

I have started The History of Lent and The Mystery of Lent which preface the volume. They will be finished shortly but there's a good start for some extra Lent-related reading. I found the history to be very interesting. Especially since Dom Gueranger was lamenting how easy their lents were in his time (1800s)! Imagine what he would say now. We haven't the first clue on how to do penance anymore. It must be at the core of most of our personal and social demons.

http://gaudeamus-hodie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Daily.Lent

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.