Hebrew Question

Started by Vetus Ordo, May 06, 2020, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

I want to translate victorious cross or triumphant cross into Hebrew.

A quick search in Google Translate gives me ??? ????. This should be tzlv mntzch but I don't know how the vowels go in there. I recognize tzlv as a cognate of the Arabic salib.

Furthermore, this is modern Hebrew. Does anyone know how to translate it both into Modern and Biblical Hebrew?

Thank you in advance.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

??? ???? is transliterated tslav menatse'akh.

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

.?????, ????

aquinas138

Since the word doesn't occur in the OT, it's hard to know for sure. I found ?????, which makes sense given that the Syriac (and presumably other Aramaic forms) is ?leeba. It's Modern Hebrew, but the word is unlikely to be different; Modern Hebrew generally differs more in grammar than spelling. Checking rabbinic works would be the only way to be sure, but most of that is Aramaic anyway. I have an exceptionally knowledgeable Israeli friend I can ask.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.