Only The Good Die Young

Started by lauermar, April 07, 2021, 05:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauermar

I happened to think of this song from the past. I liked Billy Joel's music then and still do. This one is not my favorite however. I wonder what would have happened to him if he'd launched this song with references to Muslim girls hiding in hijabs instead of Catholic girls. Who knew it had a backstory?

https://performingsongwriter.com/only-good-die-young/
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Melkor

Quote from: lauermar on April 07, 2021, 05:32:44 AM
I happened to think of this song from the past. I liked Billy Joel's music then and still do. This one is not my favorite however. I wonder what would have happened to him if he'd launched this song with references to Muslim girls hiding in hijabs instead of Catholic girls. Who knew it had a backstory?

Although the song is lustful (and I hate Billy Joel) the reason he didn't reference Muslim girls in hijabs is because they ain't attractive to white dudes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Gardener

Quote from: Melkor on April 07, 2021, 08:22:56 AM

Although the song is lustful (and I hate Billy Joel) the reason he didn't reference Muslim girls in hijabs is because they ain't attractive to white dudes.

After 6-7 months in the desert, that becomes less true.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Gardener on April 07, 2021, 10:28:19 AM

"Muslim girls hiding in hijabs" are not any different visually than Catholic girls hiding in veils.

The difference is that the tradition of veiling outside the home slowly died off in the West after the Industrial Revolution.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Gardener

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on April 07, 2021, 10:36:35 AM
Quote from: Gardener on April 07, 2021, 10:28:19 AM

"Muslim girls hiding in hijabs" are not any different visually than Catholic girls hiding in veils.

The difference is that the tradition of veiling outside the home slowly died off in the West after the Industrial Revolution.

There's something highly attractive about a face framed by cloth and the barrier of language. Especially in the middle east. Can't speak to Afghanistan, but some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life were in Iraq. Age was never kind to their mothers, though.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Melkor

Ah yer right. It was just my bad attempt at a good joke. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I believe all nationalities produce beautiful women.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Melkor on April 07, 2021, 11:29:23 AM
Ah yer right. It was just my bad attempt at a good joke. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I believe all nationalities produce beautiful women.

"Muslim girls" aren't an ethnicity or nationality.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Michael Wilson

Never mind I couldn't post the image of the Afghan girl on the cover of Natl. Geographic. Beautifully haunting.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kaesekopf

Jewish media person 'pursuing' a Catholic woman?

Color me shocked! 

:lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 07, 2021, 04:31:22 PM
Never mind I couldn't post the image of the Afghan girl on the cover of Natl. Geographic. Beautifully haunting.

It was 1st from 1985 cover, found by google... We had old issues when I was a kid but I wouldn't remember that specifically.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/article/afghan-girl-home-afghanistan

https://www.readingthepictures.org/2013/10/thoughts-on-afghan-girls-third-cover-as-national-geographic-looks-back-forward/

Well she didn't die young but good is.still possible.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

lauermar

She has beautiful eyes. Too bad she belongs to a religion that is an abomination to God.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)