card games

Started by Eliza, January 02, 2013, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Since there is a topic on board games, why not card games?

My favorites in this order:
Pitch- especially call for your partner.
Rummy
Skipbo- I actually played this with my grandma this evening. She owned me.
Spoons
War

tmw89

I like Blackjack.

Fond memories of playing War as a child.

Would love to learn Baccarat and the various Hanafuda card games.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Eliza

I would like to get better at bridge. It's kind of hard.

EcceQuamBonum

Bridge is well worth the investment of time.  Too bad there are relatively few people with whom to play.

I very much enjoy cribbage, canasta, gin, euchre, pinochle, bézique, five-hundred, whist, and piquet.

(When I was a boy, I taught myself all kinds of card games.  Of course, I was an only child and none of my friends really knew how to play any of the card games I taught myself, and none of them was particularly interested in learning.  And no one from my generation really knows how to play cards or cares to learn.  Consequently, I never have card partners...)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

I can always go for a game of Egyptian War. It's also known as Egyptian Ratzu.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 02, 2013, 10:22:09 PM

We always called it Egyptian Ratscrew at scout camp.  This may simply have been a perverse corruption.   :P

We took the slapping component rather seriously, as I recall...
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 02, 2013, 10:27:27 PM

We always called it Egyptian Ratscrew at scout camp.  This may simply have been a perverse corruption.   :P

Yeah, some people call it that. What rules did you guys use?

For us, people could slap in, but if one wasn't in the game and they incorrectly slapped, they'd get a strike. Three strikes and their out of the game permanently. If you have cards, you have to burn, but we allowed strategic, intentional burning.

Did you guys have sandwiches?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lyubov

DUTCH BLITZ!

Dutch Blitz is the funnest card game ever invented in the history of the world. Golf is alright, too, but Dutch Blitz is the best.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-Gwx_9I6Q[/yt]

Quote from: Eliza on January 02, 2013, 09:04:56 PM
War

I remember using our TI-89 calculators to play War during math class in high school.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

PatrickG

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 03, 2013, 12:16:52 AM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 02, 2013, 10:27:27 PM

Yeah, some people call it that. What rules did you guys use?

For us, people could slap in, but if one wasn't in the game and they incorrectly slapped, they'd get a strike. Three strikes and their out of the game permanently. If you have cards, you have to burn, but we allowed strategic, intentional burning.

Did you guys have sandwiches?

The rules we used were slapping on doubles and sandwiches.  Ace causes next player to forfeit four cards, kings three, etc.

What do you mean by "strategic, intentional burning"?  Sounds like fun.  ;)

People who were without cards were allowed to slap in.  The rule we had for mis-slaps, though, was that the person whose card you mis-slapped got to punch you in the arm as hard as he could.  This made people much less likely to get slap-happy.   ;D

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2013, 10:20:36 PM
Euchre

I didn't think anybody outside of my family played this game. None of my friends growing up ever heard of it. I grew up in Jersey but my father is from the midwest which may explain why we were the only Euchre players around.
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Roland Deschain on January 03, 2013, 12:46:24 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2013, 10:20:36 PM
Euchre

I didn't think anybody outside of my family played this game. None of my friends growing up ever heard of it. I grew up in Jersey but my father is from the midwest which may explain why we were the only Euchre players around.

Yeah, I learned it on my own, but if you know anyone from Michigan, Indiana, or Ohio, it's srs bzns up there.

Eliza

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 03, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
Uno!

Oh, and speed.

Yes. Two games worthy of being called awesome.

Since you like speed, have you ever heard of spit? It's a lot like speed, except more intense because you're playing off of more cards at one time. It gets going so fast that it makes it incredibly easy to cheat.  :P