Board Games

Started by Lyubov, January 02, 2013, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jovan66102

Quote from: Hat And Beard on January 03, 2013, 03:15:46 PM
Trivial Pursuit from the 1950's at every table....

That must have been pretty amazing, considering the game was invented in 1979 and first released commercially in 1982! ;D
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Adeodatus

Board games are my hobby and I'm passionate about them!
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Lirael

My family enjoys Cranium, Pictionary, Scrabble, Ultimate Outburst, Word Thief, and Say When.

This Christmas, Penelope and her fiance got me Awkward Family Photos. It's the best pictures from the website arranged on a board, and then you answer questions about the pictures (what happened right before this photo was taken, what should the title be, what would make this photo more awkward) and the judge gets to decide the best answer (much like Apples to Apples). It was a blast. I highly recommend!

Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

totiusque

"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Ben

Quote from: totiusque on January 04, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: Ben on January 04, 2013, 05:27:28 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned the king of board games: Scrabble!

I'm equally shocked that no one has mentioned two of the great thinking games of the past century - Candyland and Chutes & Ladders.

Did anyone mention Backgammon? I've probably played that more than any other board game.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Ben on January 05, 2013, 03:16:44 AM
Did anyone mention Backgammon? I've probably played that more than any other board game.

I did.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 04, 2013, 11:39:48 PMMonopoly is pretty good, though I agree it brings out the worst in people.

Aaaaand that's why Monopoly is my favorite board game.

phnuggle

When I was little, my dad used to play this with me.  Definitely for younger kids, but I loved it!

tmw89

Quote from: phnuggle on January 05, 2013, 12:46:11 PM
When I was little, my dad used to play this with me.  Definitely for younger kids, but I loved it!

If we're going to include games for kiddies... don't suppose any of you guys ever heard of an oldie from the early '90s titled It From The Pit?

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Archer

Great topic, there so many good ones...

My wife and I are big into scrabble, chess, and backgammon as well as various card games. 

Good party games:
Wise and Otherwise
Scattergories
Blurt
Apples to Apples

Other favorites growing up:
Axis and Allies
Risk
Monopoly
Stratego
Battleship
Clue
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Ben

RealPresents

Yahtzee any-one?
On the subject of board- and parlor-games, when we play with our children:  some of my fondest child-hood memories are playing cards with my father; Go Fish, Crazy 8's, then Rummy.  Rather than he condescending to child's play, I remember those occasions as elevating me to ' grown-up pursuits', as those games seemed to me at the time.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: tmw89 on January 02, 2013, 01:41:56 PM
Is it just me, or does Monopoly have an odd tendency to bring out the worst in people?  Nearly every time I've played, people either walk away with bad feelings or the board goes airborne an hour to ninety minutes in.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Pmeafeqyw[/yt]
Sorry for the commie commentary at video end.....I just liked the pastors speech...although I certainly eschew naked capitalism.

We like apples to apples and scrabble games
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.