Why can't trads get along?

Started by Jayne, July 31, 2014, 09:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I saw this question in another thread and want to give it a thread of its own.  It resonated with me because I have been thinking a lot lately about what I can do to be less argumentative. 

I do think there is more to tensions among trads than some people being argumentative, though.  That's just the piece I've been thinking on lately.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Dom Passerini

The question is "why can't trads get along online?" stupid.

I can't believe how................................................................

IDIOT!
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Jayne

ResRev

Maybe it's because we are Trads that we fall into a few categories:

Some are just that passionate about the Faith and Our Lord. Traditionally speaking, a good bulk care enough to die for the Faith. Eh, what's a screaming match or two in the grand scheme of things?

Some are outcasts anyway, why not go whole hog, huh?

Some are a-holes, that just the way of things.

Some people mistype (maybe  :shrug: )

Some people misunderstand

Some people are too sensitive

Some people come from different cultures than others and that's just how they roll

Any more?

eta I didn't see the original thread this was taken from, so...

"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

drummerboy

Trads in general think for themselves, because they obviously don't "Go with the flow" and don't want to.  So they probably by nature of being a trad are a bit on the independent minded side.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Jacob

Trads online have never learned the lesson in my signature.

They either allow themselves to become the suckers or the self-righteous.  Or both.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Jayne

Chestertonian

I

Who wants to bet on how long this thread will go?  My wager is 11 pages
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Recovering NOer

I've quoted this old post of Bonaventure's before, but I really do think it sums up the answer to your question.  As to why THIS happens in the first place, I've been wondering that a lot myself.  I didn't see nearly as much of it even in the Novus Ordo, so why do trads who should "know better" constantly fall into this pattern?

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 31, 2012, 01:27:42 AMUnfortunately, too many Catholics try to attach their own baggage onto what being Catholic means. Political, social, and cultural norms are attached. For some, it's a Leave it to Beaver, 1950s life. For others, it's bunkering up with grain, gold, and silver. The examples go on and on. Through the internet, I've met some intelligent, faithful, and charitable Catholics from all over the world. At the same time, I've encountered real Jew haters, real women haters, real racists, absolutely obsessed conspiracy theorists, and so on. Anyone who disagrees is a liberal or "not a trad," and not one iota of these things have to deal with doctrine or spirituality.

Bernadette

Quote from: Recovering NOer on July 31, 2014, 11:13:32 AM
I've quoted this old post of Bonaventure's before, but I really do think it sums up the answer to your question.  As to why THIS happens in the first place, I've been wondering that a lot myself.  I didn't see nearly as much of it even in the Novus Ordo, so why do trads who should "know better" constantly fall into this pattern?

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 31, 2012, 01:27:42 AMUnfortunately, too many Catholics try to attach their own baggage onto what being Catholic means. Political, social, and cultural norms are attached. For some, it's a Leave it to Beaver, 1950s life. For others, it's bunkering up with grain, gold, and silver. The examples go on and on. Through the internet, I've met some intelligent, faithful, and charitable Catholics from all over the world. At the same time, I've encountered real Jew haters, real women haters, real racists, absolutely obsessed conspiracy theorists, and so on. Anyone who disagrees is a liberal or "not a trad," and not one iota of these things have to deal with doctrine or spirituality.

This makes a lot of sense. So unfortunate.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

Archer

Quote from: Recovering NOer on July 31, 2014, 11:13:32 AM

That is a nugget of gold from Bonaventure. 

In regards to NO people, they have their own set of issues on the other side of the spectrum.  The difference being that their baggage (birth control, broken families, excessive love for the world and it's pleasures etc.) is generally accepted by society while trad baggage is not.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Non Nobis

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Jayne

Quote from: Non Nobis on July 31, 2014, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: Jayne on July 31, 2014, 10:27:40 AM

I need more sleep than that.

Well now you know why I need my bedtime enforced by my husband.   :)

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Jayne on July 31, 2014, 10:27:40 AM

That was me, last night, on an adoption group.  Of course, truthfully, they're wrong about religion and their whole life philosophy and the concept of it being okay to go through life with no intention of self-improvement, spiritually-speaking and otherwise-- and I don't think some chick on Facebook is going to fix that.  *facepalm*

I saw an interesting graph once, I think on Buzzfeed.  It's meant to be funny.  But, basically, it says there are two types of people you will fight with -- the ones you disagree with on just about everything, and the ones you agree with on everything but one tiny point.  That last bit is why comic book fans will have long fights about who is the best super hero that they couldn't ever have with, say, me -- because I don't know or care enough about comic books to keep that fight fueled even if I tried (which I wouldn't, because I don't care).
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"