Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Started Rudy. Saw it when it first came out. Turned it off. Blasphemy and insufferably mawkish.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Daniel

Quote from: recessus on July 21, 2020, 07:53:25 PM
JAWS 2. It's a perfect summer movie and while not the original, a great followup.

This past summer I saw the first Jaws for the first time, in an actual movie theatre (the movie theatre was showing only old movies for some reason... something to do with COVID). So that was nice. But as for the film itself, I didn't like it. (More like, hated it.) Too much foul language. (Even a single blasphemy would ruin the film.) And also, the movie IMO seemed overrated. I had always heard great things about it which gave me high expectations. But then I actually saw it, and was disappointed. If it weren't for the blasphemies, I'd probably have been more willing to overlook this, but: 1.) the shark puppet looked a little cheesy (and lifeless, not as I'd imagine an actual shark to look like), and 2.) none of the characters were very likable. (The latter is one thing I hate about most Hollywood films these days: the movies are all about "self redemption" which not only is a theologically-incorrect concept but also results in a story where the "good guys" are all unlikable antiheroes who have some sort of vice to overcome. And half the time this vice isn't even rooted out before the end of the movie, but is merely coped with, or, in some cases, nullified as if by way of "sacrifice", by the voluntary or involuntary death of the still-vicious antihero.)

Just as an aside, before seeing the movie I was under the impression that "Jaws" was the name of the shark. Turns out it wasn't :(

Jacob

Jaws is one of those movies that have so permeated the culture that it would be impossible to go into it totally fresh I would think.  One has to imagine being in a movie theater in the seventies with no foreknowledge aside from knowing it was a book that sold very well.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Many beaches were almost empty that summer it frightened people so badly.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Philip G.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

I watched The Impossible with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor about a family and the Boxer Day Tsunami.  It was really good.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Bernadette

Bright Eyes, with Shirley Temple.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

christulsa

FamilyRosary

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_D3K4FcEz8[/yt]

Don't worry, it's not in Portuguese. Ann Blyth, Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald. Lots of Irish music, Irish village life, and the Blarney Stone.

From the days when American Catholics could actually make a decent movie.
The family that prays together stays together.

Elizabeth.2

Watching Zodiac bit by bit
Superb acting by Robert Downey!

Jacob

Quote from: Elizabeth.2 on November 23, 2020, 10:11:38 AM
Watching Zodiac bit by bit
Superb acting by Robert Downey!

Great movie.  The Zodiac is such a compelling subject.
--Neal Stephenson

Bernadette

Children of Heaven, by Majid Majidi. One of my absolute favorites.
My Lord and my God.

Santantonio

This was a touching but not sappy (has some rough parts) movie from 1983 which I enjoyed Sunday night.
The poor old woman (Lillian Gish) loses her dog, who goes on adventures and runs into trouble trying to get home.
Good acting lovable animals.

Hambone and Hillie
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ib0g0XPoc[/yt]