Is Irish citizenship worth anything?

Started by GiftOfGod, November 11, 2020, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

I just found out that I can become an Irish citizen because my grandmother was an Irish citizen. I am considering pursuing it in case the ship USA sinks with Joe Biden/Kamela Harris at the helm. I am also interested in knowing if the Irish national health system is any good because if so, I've love to stop paying $300/month for medical insurance and just fly over to Ireland for free quality medical care.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Lynne

I'll be interested to see the responses.

It's certainly a beautiful country.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

diaduit

You know I'm Irish right :)

Our country is every bit as liberal if not worse than USA and we have an Irish trait where we do not stick our neck above the parapet, its all about appearing respectable and staying on the same side as the majority.  At least in America you have a massive shift towards conservatism and the tide is beginning to turn although you are surrounded by evil statesmen (same here).

We don't own guns and you are only allowed a gun for strict purposes such as a farmer or you shoot for hunting purposes.  It is a very small country and difficult to go under the radar even in the rural areas.  Everybody knows whose who around here.

The health system is chronic if you are depending on the public health system (free).  It is fine for minor issues but if you have a serious illness especially at the discovery stage, it is brutal.  You could be waiting for months just for a consultation never mind an actual scan/procedure.  We have a number of private hospitals which are very good and on average a single man would pay €1800 per year for good cover in these private hospitals.  I myself will not let our family private health insurance lapse no matter what.
Housing is very expensive, cost of living is expensive but if you live outside of the big cities/big towns, it can be very affordable even for a large family.  There is a shortage of housing in most urban areas so you would need to have a good paying job to afford decent accommodation in Dublin.
The traditional Catholic community is small but exploding now with our priests being the only ones who are giving the Sacraments.  Trads would have some familiarity with each other but don't live nearby each other, you won't see too many bbqs or meet up in the parks/social events....its too cold most of the time. We are friendly, very friendly but don't expect invites to homes for Sunday roasts.  Our families are usually living close by and we are tied very much to them e.g visits to cousins, aunts and uncles and parents. 

Culturally we are still very Catholic, lots of Marian shrines on most roads outside of Dublin.  A Catholic church on every corner practically.  Quite a few towns you would still hear the Angelus bells.  Wouldn't be out of place to visit a friend and see a Sacred Heart up on some wall although more as an appeasement to the older Irish Mammies.

https://www.daft.ie/westmeath/apartments-for-sale/athlone/apartment-1-custume-pier-apartments-athlone-westmeath-2729230/

Two bed apartment overlooking River Shannon and two minutes walk from the SSPX church in Athlone

Hope this helps.

Michael Wilson

You could also P.M. Big Bad Trad; he moved his family to Europe, looking to escape from the U.S.A. He loved Ireland; thought the Irish were just wonderful; but he eventually moved back, because he considered the Trad movement outside the U.S. To be doomed to extinction. If you scan through his posting history which isn't that great, you can find a couple of his posts on the subject. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: diaduit on November 11, 2020, 04:01:13 PM

Our country is every bit as liberal if not worse than USA and we have an Irish trait where we do not stick our neck above the parapet, its all about appearing respectable and staying on the same side as the majority.  At least in America you have a massive shift towards conservatism and the tide is beginning to turn although you are surrounded by evil statesmen (same here).

We don't own guns and you are only allowed a gun for strict purposes such as a farmer or you shoot for hunting purposes.  It is a very small country and difficult to go under the radar even in the rural areas.  Everybody knows whose who around here.

The health system is chronic if you are depending on the public health system (free).  It is fine for minor issues but if you have a serious illness especially at the discovery stage, it is brutal.  You could be waiting for months just for a consultation never mind an actual scan/procedure.  We have a number of private hospitals which are very good and on average a single man would pay €1800 per year for good cover in these private hospitals.  I myself will not let our family private health insurance lapse no matter what.
Housing is very expensive, cost of living is expensive but if you live outside of the big cities/big towns, it can be very affordable even for a large family.  There is a shortage of housing in most urban areas so you would need to have a good paying job to afford decent accommodation in Dublin.
The traditional Catholic community is small but exploding now with our priests being the only ones who are giving the Sacraments.  Trads would have some familiarity with each other but don't live nearby each other, you won't see too many bbqs or meet up in the parks/social events....its too cold most of the time. We are friendly, very friendly but don't expect invites to homes for Sunday roasts.  Our families are usually living close by and we are tied very much to them e.g visits to cousins, aunts and uncles and parents. 

Culturally we are still very Catholic, lots of Marian shrines on most roads outside of Dublin.  A Catholic church on every corner practically.  Quite a few towns you would still hear the Angelus bells.  Wouldn't be out of place to visit a friend and see a Sacred Heart up on some wall although more as an appeasement to the older Irish Mammies.

https://www.daft.ie/westmeath/apartments-for-sale/athlone/apartment-1-custume-pier-apartments-athlone-westmeath-2729230/

Two bed apartment overlooking River Shannon and two minutes walk from the SSPX church in Athlone

Hope this helps.

Word for word, couldn't have said it better. The only thing I will say is that cost of living/housing is expensive in Dublin/big city and moderate/cheap elsewhere. You can still find a 4 bed/3 bath in the country for 900 a month. Food is much cheaper than the US. Healthcare is so insanely affordable. For the best health insurance in the country you are paying per year what you pay here per month.

Diaduit is completely correct about all the political/social/stuff. They had an openly gay man running the country until very recently, they voted for abortion on their own steam (unlike us, who had it forced on us by the SC) and you would be able to hide a lot more easily in rural USA than in rural Ireland.

The Irish people are the most wonderful people in the world and you couldn't find anyone more lovely to die with, so if you just want to wait out the end with a bunch of really grand folks, the move over there. If you are hoping for a conservative place to hide for 20+ years, than stay here.

On the other hand, Irish citizenship will get you entry into the EU, and there are many many places there worth moving to hide/farm/etc.

christulsa

What a minute.  I thought you lived in St. Mary's, KS for some reason.   :huh:   

How many people on Suscipe Domine live in Ireland?  That could be trouble, the Irish temperament and all (I know because I'm half Irish).

diaduit

Quote from: christulsa on November 11, 2020, 09:08:27 PM
What a minute.  I thought you lived in St. Mary's, KS for some reason.   :huh:   

How many people on Suscipe Domine live in Ireland?  That could be trouble, the Irish temperament and all (I know because I'm half Irish).

Haven't you seen the signs of my temperament  ;D
Coffeeandcigs  my eyes nearly watered reading your post.  God Bless.

awkwardcustomer

I'd hate to offend diaduit.

But what about the weather?
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on November 12, 2020, 09:37:02 AM

She did say it was usually cold...lol. Warm hearts, cold weather, that's Ireland.

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on November 12, 2020, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on November 12, 2020, 09:37:02 AM

She did say it was usually cold...lol. Warm hearts, cold weather, that's Ireland.

Do you live in Ireland?
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

diaduit

No offence taken.....its lashing rain and cold cold cold now.

christulsa

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: diaduit on November 12, 2020, 01:50:00 PM
No offence taken.....its lashing rain and cold cold cold now.

Sounds great for a walk down the ol' bog road.

awkwardcustomer

Amazing...  at least two posters here besides me love "lashing rain and cold, cold, cold..".

I thought the weather had to be pointed out to anyone thinking of moving to Ireland, particularly to the west coast.  I've known people move to west Wales or Scotland and the weather has driven them away again.   Funnily enough, it's not the first winter that gets them, but the second.

Some people, like me and others here, would love it.  Others, not so much.

Prayerful

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on November 11, 2020, 07:59:10 PM
Quote from: diaduit on November 11, 2020, 04:01:13 PM

Hope this helps.

Word for word, couldn't have said it better. The only thing I will say is that cost of living/housing is expensive in Dublin/big city and moderate/cheap elsewhere. You can still find a 4 bed/3 bath in the country for 900 a month. Food is much cheaper than the US. Healthcare is so insanely affordable. For the best health insurance in the country you are paying per year what you pay here per month.

Diaduit is completely correct about all the political/social/stuff. They had an openly gay man running the country until very recently, they voted for abortion on their own steam (unlike us, who had it forced on us by the SC) and you would be able to hide a lot more easily in rural USA than in rural Ireland.

The Irish people are the most wonderful people in the world and you couldn't find anyone more lovely to die with, so if you just want to wait out the end with a bunch of really grand folks, the move over there. If you are hoping for a conservative place to hide for 20+ years, than stay here.

On the other hand, Irish citizenship will get you entry into the EU, and there are many many places there worth moving to hide/farm/etc.

The abortion vote result was dubious, but the insiders who ran the pro-life campaign did not challenge it, unless my memory is very wrong.

Rural Ireland has a good places to hide and a few unlicenced firearms. Rural people are not always too literal-minded about stupid laws. A good many parts of the US have relatively colossal property taxes. You never really own your home or land if you have to pay a vast tax bill. The US has issues with some aggressive application of Eminent Domain to the detriment of the property owner.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.