Today's Gospel

Started by Heinrich, January 22, 2013, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

I just came home from Mass and today's Gospel was piercing: Luke 21 9-19:

"When you shall hear of wars and seditions, be not terrified:  . . .     ."

http://drbo.org/chapter/49021.htm

This, a day after an inauguration of a certain enemy of the Faith. What are we to make of this? What are the Breviary readings today?

Saints Vincent and Anastasius, martyrs, pray for us.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mithrandylan

Thanks for sharing.

The little chapter from Vespers is Wisdoms 3:

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and the torment of death shall not touch them. In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die, but they are in peace.

Being the feast of Ss Vincent and Anastasius, the hymn is for martyrs:

Sing, O sons of the Church sounding the martyrs' praise!
God's true soldiers applaud, who, in their weary days,
Won bright trophies of good, glad be the voice ye raise,
While these heroes of Christ ye sing!

They, while yet in the world were by the world abhorred;
Felt how fading the joys, fleeting the wealth it stored;
Spurned all pleasure for thee, and at thy call, O Lord,
Came forth strong in thy name, as King.

Lord, how bravely they bore fury and pain for thee!
Scourge, rod, sword, and the rack strongly endured; but free
Sang out, bold in thy love, longing on high to be;
Earth's might never their souls could bend.

While they, shedding their blood, victims for Jesus fell,
No sound out of their lips came of their throes to tell;
Bowed low, patient and meek, loving the Lord so well,
Turned they still to the Christ, their friend.

What joys, bright with the blood shed for thy love they share,
Those brave martyrs of thine crowned with thy laurels rare;
Man's tongue never can tell, never can half declare,
How pure now is their bliss above!

Yet we, Father on high, God of eternal might,
Lift weak voices in prayer asking for peace and light;
Cleanse thou out of our hearts every stain and blight,
So our songs may be songs of love, Amen.
Amen.

And the Magnificat antiphon is similar:

In heaven do rejoice the souls of the Saints * who have followed the steps of Christ; and because they shed their blood for the love of Christ, therefore shall they be made glad for ever with Christ.

http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Mithrandylan

It all seems quite thematic
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

tmw89

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Heinrich

Thank you. I just read/prayed Compline. I don't know if I can truly say I prayed this hour since I am not going to bed just yet. Beautiful and praiseworthy nonetheless.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

tmw89

Also, I keep meaning to post about the differences between the original Douay-Rheims Bible and +Challoner's revision of it in a dedicated thread, but I thought all of you might be edified by a comparison of the verses Heinrich referenced, Luke 21: 9-19.

First, Challoner:

Quote from: Luke 21: 9-19, Challoner's revision of the Douay-Rheims[9] And when you shall hear of wars and seditions, be not terrified: these things must first come to pass; but the end is not yet presently. [10] Then he said to them: Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.

[11] And there shall be great earthquakes in divers places, and pestilences, and famines, and terrors from heaven; and there shall be great signs. [12] But before all these things, they will lay their hands upon you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and into prisons, dragging you before kings and governors, for my name's sake. [13] And it shall happen unto you for a testimony. [14] Lay it up therefore into your hearts, not to meditate before how you shall answer: [15] For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to resist and gainsay.

[16] And you shall be betrayed by your parents and brethren, and kinsmen and friends; and some of you they will put to death. [17] And you shall be hated by all men for my name's sake. [18] But a hair of your head shall not perish. [19] In your patience you shall possess your souls.

Now, the original - pay attention to verse 12 especially:

Quote from: Luke 21: 9-19, Rheims New Testament of 1582, spelling modernized and internal quote demarcation inserted by tmw89[9] And when you shall hear of wars and seditions, be not terrified:  these things must first come to pass, but the end is not yet by and by.  [10] Then he said to them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.  [11] And there shall be great earth quakes in places, and pestilences and famines, and terrors from heaven, and there shall be great signs.  [12] But before all these things they will lay their hands upon you:  and persecute you delivering you into synagogs and prisons, drawing you to kings and presidents for my name.  [13] and it shall happen unto you for testimony.  [14] Lay up this therefore into your hearts, not to premeditate how you shall answer.  [15] For I will give you mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to resist and gainsay.  [16] And you shall be delivered up of your parents and brethren, and kinsmen & friends:  and they will put to death of you.  [17] And you shall be odious to all men for my name:  [18] and a hair of your head shall not perish.  [19] In your patience you shall possess your souls.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Bonaventure

Quote from: Heinrich on January 22, 2013, 09:33:47 PM
Thank you. I just read/prayed Compline. I don't know if I can truly say I prayed this hour since I am not going to bed just yet. Beautiful and praiseworthy nonetheless.

Compline is awesome.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."