Finance/Investing/Business Books Suggestions

Started by Flora, May 27, 2016, 09:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flora

I am looking for suggestions on books about personal finance, investing, and starting/managing a successful business. I have very little knowledge in these areas aside from the stuff I've read on Reddit, blogs, and one or two elementary books.

Are there any books in particular from this list (including the ones in the sidebar) that you would recommend?

http://astore.amazon.com/whicoainv-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=70

Thanks.

Mac_Benny

This was the textbook for my Accounting for Managers class. It has a "how to read a 10-k" project in the middle. A very good class and textbook for someone needing to understand a business who is not an Accountant or Corp Finance person.

This may be the replacement of the above. Not for sure.

First Finance class is TVM - Time Value Money. This teaches how to calculate and understand Bonds, Mortgages, and basics of investing. You will need a Financial Calculator

Investing in more detail

Yes those are textbooks, but they are clear cut and pack full of information. As far as personal investing, that is going towards automation. The individual investor is going to be greatly disadvantaged. If it is not your full time job, then I would just research Mutual Funds and solid dividend stocks (Realty Income = O) then invest in those. This is where learning to read 10-ks (or 20-f/40-fs for foreign companies) is important. I have a spreadsheet leftover from the Accounting for Managers class if you want it (Financial Ratio Analysis). SEC Company Search

Real Estate, not sure about any books that actually give any real information (plenty of books with no meat). I would look for forums that cater to people who do that. Make sure you thoroughly read up on realty law (local, state, and Federal). I think you will find it is better to research REITs and invest in those (Realty Income being an example).

james03

Those are quite different topics.

On personal finance, save and don't go into debt, except for a non-recourse mortgage on a house.

On investing, I suggest Tarot Card Reading for Beginners, because "returns" now depend on what side of the bed Janet Yellen gets out of.  A recent work based on the classical approach is "The Big Secret for the Small Investor" by Joel Greenblatt, along with "The Little Book that Beats the Market",  but to be honest that kind of analysis of investments will get swamped by any major move done by the Fed.  Good luck with it.

Starting/managing a small business.  Depends what you are talking about.  If it is a little internet blogging/writing/sales thing, I'd find a really good CPA and work with him on that.  Also look for a book on putting together a business plan.  That is important, your business plan, which must be detailed and written out.  I'll give you my advise on the business plan:  Use extremely conservative estimates and calculate the amount of cash you'll need in hand to get the thing running.  DOUBLE THAT AMOUNT and you might be OK.

If you intend to have employees, I recommend "Curing your Self-Hatred, A Self-Help Book for Masochists."
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"