"Renting" Books

Started by Bernadette, January 20, 2014, 08:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

I agree with you for non-fiction or academic reading.  The one thing I use an e-reader for is lighter fiction. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Lynne

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:06:55 PM
I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

You can highlight passages and make notes that are stored in the cloud. You can make as many bookmarks as you like...They're just virtual...   :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Penelope

Quote from: Lynne on January 20, 2014, 01:21:25 PM
I could never just rent a book, even if the rental period was long enough to read the entire thing. I like to write in my books, dog-ear the pages, etc.

You can highlight passages and make notes that are stored in the cloud. You can make as many bookmarks as you like...They're just virtual...   :)

The thought makes my blood run cold. *Shudder*

Kaesekopf

I enjoy the convenience of e-books and e-readers, but I do find myself missing hardcopies/print. 

Which is why Half Price Books is so great......  :D
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Penelope:

hahaha You Luddite! ;-)

(should have quoted you)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LouisIX

There's nothing inherently wrong with electronic books.  In fact, having a PDF of a text is much better when working intimately with the text since it is immediately and perfectly searchable.

The physical book is aesthetically pleasing and I think it will remain important for a long, long time, but it's not perfect.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Lynne

I'm a packrat. So are my husband and daughter. Every room in our house has books all over the place.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on January 20, 2014, 01:33:33 PM
I'm a packrat. So are my husband and daughter. Every room in our house has books all over the place.

You make this sound like a bad thing?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 12:39:30 PM
I've rented books on my kindle for a month from Amazon.

You can borrow books on Amazon for free.  Not sure about text books, though.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

piabee

Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 01:08:10 PM

You wouldn't like an e-reader then.

I am a librarian's daughter and would burn before marking a book, but I love highlighting in my Kindle.

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:10:08 PMI also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

This is trickier on the Kindle but I've usually been able to find stuff using a word search.

LouisIX

You didn't mark in your books during college?

LouisIX

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on January 20, 2014, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 12:39:30 PM
I've rented books on my kindle for a month from Amazon.

You can borrow books on Amazon for free.  Not sure about text books, though.

Yeah.  It wasn't a textbook but it was a somewhat expensive, academic text.  I think they charge for renting those since many would not spend $100 or more on a book if they can temporarily rent it.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Penelope on January 20, 2014, 01:10:08 PM
Yeah, I super don't like them. I also like being able to flip quickly back to something I read earlier to compare it to what I just read. You know, "Oh, that symbol (or whatever) popped up earlier in the book, too; let me flip back and find it."

This is me, 100%.  I don't write in my books, but I do love the ease of a physical book when it comes to finding things that were mentioned in earlier chapters.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 01:43:10 PM

Gosh no!  My mother would have sensed it, driven to the college, and tanned my hide.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LouisIX

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 20, 2014, 01:47:18 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 20, 2014, 01:43:10 PM

Gosh no!  My mother would have sensed it, driven to the college, and tanned my hide.

You know that books have margins solely so that you can write in them, right?