Joan of Arc or Maximilian Kolbe?

Started by lauermar, January 12, 2021, 06:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauermar

I was thinking about the different approaches saints used in their time to endure evil for Christ's sake and preach the gospel.

On one hand, you have fighters like Joan of Arc who suited up and breached an enemy wall that her male colleagues were hesitant to do. She was martyred without winning the war although the liberation came years after her death. Other fighters are St. Boniface who felled the pagan Doan's oak to the shock of pagan worshippers. The Cristo Rey fighters. Jose Maria Escriva and his followers.

On the other hand are martyrs who didn't fight and passively accepted their lot. Kolbe fought Naziism with radio and press until his arrest and eventual torture. The Chinese martyrs and Roman Christians accepted torture without fighting. The nuns in the French Revolution accepted the guillotine.

I'd like to get some perspective from traditionalists on which approach you think is relevant today. We can't tear down false houses of worship anymore or fell oaks. The Capitol riot is now insurrection. A priest advised me to distance myself from all rebellion for any cause. Your thoughts?
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Tennessean

Distance ourselves is the best answer. Northern cities have been bleeding for years, we should take the old neighborhoods back, support them with latifundium. Ride the tiger.

Stubborn

I think the priest gave you good advice.

Strive to keep and grow in the faith, it is only through our faith we accept that everything is in the hands of God, everything.

"Jesus said to them: Because of your unbelief. For, amen I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, Remove from hence hither, and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you."

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

MundaCorMeum

I think we need both.  There are as many paths to heaven as there are saints in heaven.  Some of us will be called to fight on the front lines, while others will be called to suffer in silence.  Active and contemplative life has always worked side by side in Catholicism for the glory of God and building of the Kingdom.  They each provide a unique and necessary piece of the puzzle, and support one another in their complementary roles. 

Personally, I am a Maximilian Kolbe.  I feel like my role is to quietly live out my life as the best Catholic I can be, joyfully accepting whatever suffering Our Lord deigns to send, as that which is best for my salvation.  After all, St. Kolbe's feast day is on my birthday :)

james03

If you have to ask the question, then you are not called to lead the fight.

If you are asked to deny Christ, then you shout "Viva Christo Rey" and take the bullet.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Daniel

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

christulsa

Both.  We have to retreat more now because especially if you're a white (or non white)!conservative Christian (even worse if you add to those categories male, Catholic, traditionalist, Trumper, unambiguously heterosexual, unambiguously masculine or feminine in the traditional sense), you are now more than ever Public Enemy #1, and our Persecution is only going to accelerate considering the Powers-that-Be have almost all the power and rights, and now we have none.   

But fight when necessary per the teaching of the Saints.  It is a sin to not fight or prepare yourself to fight, when your life and those you care about are threatened.  Either a threat to physical life, property, your livelihood, your public reputation, your right to practice your Faith.  Any attack on what is fundamental to your state in life, or the state of life of people in your life.  For each person that is different, so each person has to discern when to fight or not.  The challenge is knowing what fights to engage in or not.

But we have to fight for/defend the rights of God and the Church.  When the time comes, when this Tyrannical government hunts you down, or starts persecuting the Church like the Communists are doing in China, then of course everyone of us here should be ready to fight and lay down our lives.   Right now we need to be largely bearing this worsened situation like the early Christians, but also prepping to fight if/when the time comes.  My new perspective post 2020 election is to step back and watch this thing collapse, while bearing witness and helping those around me, but be ready to fight and rebuild.  Though that might not even come in our lifetimes.

In my opinion.  :)

Melkor

Prudence dictates us to choose the most practical route for the time being, IMO there will be a time to fight and we should be prepared to do so, but clearly the time is not now. Also begs the question when to start fighting? I would have no hesitation to fight for my basic right to own property, but my parents and I disagree on this, them saying that until the actual right to worship the True God is denied, there is no need for force and violence. They are probably right but if you 'give up a little liberty in order to gain a little security, you deserve neither.' Ben Franklin. Just my view. 
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

dellery

Quote from: lauermar on January 12, 2021, 06:31:41 PM
I was thinking about the different approaches saints used in their time to endure evil for Christ's sake and preach the gospel.

On one hand, you have fighters like Joan of Arc who suited up and breached an enemy wall that her male colleagues were hesitant to do. She was martyred without winning the war although the liberation came years after her death. Other fighters are St. Boniface who felled the pagan Doan's oak to the shock of pagan worshippers. The Cristo Rey fighters. Jose Maria Escriva and his followers.

On the other hand are martyrs who didn't fight and passively accepted their lot. Kolbe fought Naziism with radio and press until his arrest and eventual torture. The Chinese martyrs and Roman Christians accepted torture without fighting. The nuns in the French Revolution accepted the guillotine.

I'd like to get some perspective from traditionalists on which approach you think is relevant today. We can't tear down false houses of worship anymore or fell oaks. The Capitol riot is now insurrection. A priest advised me to distance myself from all rebellion for any cause. Your thoughts?

The two approaches are equally valid. Each are valuable arrows to have in one's quiver. You don't use a screwdriver to drive a nail, nor a hammer to turn a screw.

In fact, the two approaches are complimentary in ways. Violence done to non-violent resistors compels others to pick up arms and fight in their defense, but more importantly, it makes a violent defense acceptable in the public's mind.

Protests, especially if widespread and numerous, will exceed the government's ability to manage a crisis by interfering with transportation and requiring more than available man-power to control population centers. This in turn frees up zones for combat units to engage in direct action.

The time to be fighting is now, in whatever way you can.
The Dems are creating a White racial identity, through persecutorial agitation, that will mobilize an overwhelming Communist United Front into a position of unassailable power.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.