Liturgical Abuse in Philadelphia - LaSalle College High School's poolside Mass

Started by jonfrey, August 24, 2014, 12:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonfrey

I am a 1992 graduate of LaSalle College High School in suburban Philadelphia, and recently discovered via a Twitter posting by the school that the swim team had an outdoor Mass by the pool, with the students wearing only towels. This occurred on August 15 on the Feast of the Assumption.

I submitted an article to Rorate Caeli that contemplates the differences in how the Mass was offered at this school compared to a Tridentine Mass held on the same day at the Archdiocese of Philiadelphia's cathedral.

The Rorate article can be read here: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/08/guest-post-former-student-laments.html.

Anyone wishing to contact the school to express their displeasure with the liturgical abuse should contact Brother James Butler by email: ButlerJ@lschs.org.
The school's contact information is: 8605 W Cheltenham Ave, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, (215) 233-2911.
http://www.lschs.org/.

If you are motivated to do more than contact the school, please consider forwarding a link of the Rorate Article to Archbishop Chaput: shepherd@adphila.org

Recovering NOer

LausTibiChriste

I see crap like that and think it's small wonder the Orthodox don't want to heal the schism.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Ancilla Domini

Traditionally the Feast of the Assumption is associated with the sea and other bodies of water, which are blessed on that day, along with the people who live near or work on the water. Could that have been the idea here? To bless the pool and the swim team? Probably wishful thinking on my part, but...? 

BigMelvin

what in the world is going through that Priest's mind? Other than human dignity that is.
I saw the sun go down, on dreams of a utopian evermore...

Modernism controls its victims in the name of obedience, thanks to the suspicion of pride which is cast on any criticism of their reforms, in the name of respect for the Pope, in the name of missionary zeal, of charity, and of unity."
– Fr. Roger Calmel OP, Letter of 8th August, 1973

"In reference to the created intellect, however, (and specifically to the human) things may be said to be false when by their appearances they invite misconception of their true nature"
H.D. Gardeil, O.P., Introduction to the Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Vol. 4: Metaphysics, 138.

verenaerin

I don't think there could be less of an effort made. Absolutely pathetic.

Chestertonian

when i went to the novus ordo a lot of them came like they were dressed for the pool, maybe the priests got confused and forgot that mass is for church
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

peccator

My son graduated from LaSalle High a few years ago and, if anything, this report may be understating how bad it is there. He was on the crew team and the Masses held at their boathouse were horribly Protestant and liberal.

Then there's my daughter, who graduated from LaSalle's sister high school, Mount St Joseph Academy. That school is run by LCWR Mercy sisters. Their liberalism makes LaSalle seem positively Orthodox in comparison.

ResRev

Some of those poor boys look so miserable! Almost ashamed. I want to scoop them up and get them out of there.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

bben15

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on August 24, 2014, 12:44:23 PM
Traditionally the Feast of the Assumption is associated with the sea and other bodies of water, which are blessed on that day, along with the people who live near or work on the water. Could that have been the idea here? To bless the pool and the swim team? Probably wishful thinking on my part, but...?
Hello Ancilla!  It's a good point.  Isn't the name, Mary, also associated with water in many languages?  I guess we'll never know if this was the point, without the sermon. 

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Recovering NOer

Quote from: Landless Laborer on August 24, 2014, 04:33:08 PM
Hello Ancilla!  It's a good point.  Isn't the name, Mary, also associated with water in many languages?  I guess we'll never know if this was the point, without the sermon.

Yeah that would totally excuse everything.  ::)

jonfrey

I did make an attempt to bring the matter to the attention of the school's president, but I'm afraid we don't see eye to eye on the matter. Do keep the school, priest and faculty in your prayers.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Recovering NOer on August 24, 2014, 05:27:48 PM
Quote from: Landless Laborer on August 24, 2014, 04:33:08 PM

Yeah that would totally excuse everything.  ::)

Not what I (or LL) said. But hey, never miss an opportunity to be a jerk, right?