Stand mixer

Started by MundaCorMeum, May 16, 2020, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Padraig on May 17, 2020, 07:19:37 AM
Cooks Illustrated agrees with the people here who favor Kitchen Aid.

[yt][/yt]

That's a commercial grade one, not the ones people are going to buy in Target.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

The same goes for tools you use in your garden; don't buy the "weed-eater"; lawn mower; hedge trimmer or other power tool at the big retail stores; they are basically junked down versions, made as cheaply as possible. Go to a commercial house and pay a little more money and get a descent machine that wont break down right away; can't be fixed; or isn't worth the price. You will have a machine that will last for years and will pay for itself in the long run.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 17, 2020, 03:15:33 PM
The same goes for tools you use in your garden; don't buy the "weed-eater"; lawn mower; hedge trimmer or other power tool at the big retail stores; they are basically junked down versions, made as cheaply as possible. Go to a commercial house and pay a little more money and get a descent machine that wont break down right away; can't be fixed; or isn't worth the price. You will have a machine that will last for years and will pay for itself in the long run.

Indeed. When I want to buy a tool, I ask those who use them professionally. Notice how many general contractors, who live and die by their thin margins, trust their livelihood to Milwaukee and Ryobi. I've never seen one with Black and Decker, for example.

I think the problem with the modern kitchen aids is they use plastic gears. The old ones were metal. I'd assume the industrial ones are too.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2020, 01:15:03 PM

You didn't watch the video.

Gardener

Quote from: Maximilian on May 17, 2020, 03:20:52 PM
Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2020, 01:15:03 PM

You didn't watch the video.

Yes, I did. Of the 3 kitchen aids, one was the classic type people are generally going to get. The other two were from their various pro series and cost double to triple  what the public generally thinks of when they think kitchen aid stand mixer. They've got more powerful motors and can withstand heavier/denser mixes. They're not the standard Kitchen Aid, which in its modern construction is basically nostalgic crap.

ETA: those particular models cost in the same
Ballpark as other commercial stand mixers, because they are commercial grade, which is what I've been saying to do all along. 

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2020, 03:29:47 PM

Of the 3 kitchen aids, one was the classic type people are generally going to get.

Which was ranked second best out of all the models tested even though it cost the least.

The other two were from their various pro series and cost double to triple  what the public generally thinks of when they think kitchen aid stand mixer.

The higher-end KitchenAid model which ranked first in their tests is sold everywhere you can buy appliances. It is not NSF-rated for commercial use. I have bought one in the past at Sam's Club.

Tales

I am starting to suspect that half of SD posters are Grimer family members...

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Maximilian on May 17, 2020, 04:53:28 PM

Of the 3 kitchen aids, one was the classic type people are generally going to get.

Which was ranked second best out of all the models tested even though it cost the least.

The other two were from their various pro series and cost double to triple  what the public generally thinks of when they think kitchen aid stand mixer.

The higher-end KitchenAid model which ranked first in their tests is sold everywhere you can buy appliances. It is not NSF-rated for commercial use. I have bought one in the past at Sam's Club.

Seems we are talking passed each other. A 600-700 mixer, which costs the same and is marketed as professional, is not the run of the mill Kitchen Aid 4.5 quart classic. I've had the classic. It was NOT up to the task that the OP wants one for.

Were we to buy another, we would buy a truly commercial one.

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2020, 06:15:27 PM

Seems we are talking passed each other. A 600-700 mixer, which costs the same and is marketed as professional, is not the run of the mill Kitchen Aid 4.5 quart classic. I've had the classic. It was NOT up to the task that the OP wants one for.

From Germany?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on May 17, 2020, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: Gardener on May 17, 2020, 06:15:27 PM

From Germany?

I trust German engineering, but I'm not sure if I trust Turkish factory putting-togethering:D

In all seriousness, we gave away the kitchen aid (after the meat grinder attachment choked on anything normative for to-be-ground cuts, the wife decided it was basically worthless compared to cheaper options). A handheld mixer handles the basic stuff and the wife mixes other stuff by hand, as is her choice. I fully support overspending on domestic needs, but she is indeed her mother's daughter.

MundaCorMeum

I appreciate all the responses and discussion so far; it's been helpful.... thanks.  I just have only had time to read through, and not respond thoroughly.

Heinrich, that little mixer is just the cutest thing  ;D

Gardener

(sad trombone noises):

I might have been wrong. Just stay away from the ole' KA.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/15101/kitchenaid-pro-all-steel-gears

http://www.chadwrites.com/kitchenaid-just-doesnt-give-a-damn/  (pre-metal gears upgrade as noted here: https://www.amazon.com/review/R2FDDNXEN48LF1)

More if you google.

I'd look into other brands, and moreover mixers which are made with your intended usage in mind and have solid reviews that aren't based on nostalgia for a brand.

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on May 18, 2020, 07:08:31 AM
(sad trombone noises):

http://www.chadwrites.com/kitchenaid-just-doesnt-give-a-damn/  (pre-metal gears upgrade as noted here: https://www.amazon.com/review/R2FDDNXEN48LF1)

More if you google.

I'd look into other brands, and moreover mixers which are made with your intended usage in mind and have solid reviews that aren't based on nostalgia for a brand.

So, so logical!  :D

I thought the video had wonderful points though about the handles and the chute/cover and the shape of the bowl.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Quote from: Lynne on May 18, 2020, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: Gardener on May 18, 2020, 07:08:31 AM
(sad trombone noises):

More if you google.

So, so logical!  :D

I thought the video had wonderful points though about the handles and the chute/cover and the shape of the bowl.

Yes, the ability of the attachment to reach all parts of the bowl is key. If one has to assist their mixer in mixing, it's problematic.

When we would use the KA for making whipped cream, I found it annoying to have to manually fold in portions which had been untouched.