Bad day here in Paris

Started by ABlaine, November 01, 2017, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

As I was at Mass last night for All Saints' Day, I happily noticed that it was *all* men in the choir lot and in the sacristy. <sigh>
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Miriam_M

Quote from: Lynne on November 02, 2017, 08:35:14 AM
As I was at Mass last night for All Saints' Day, I happily noticed that it was *all* men in the choir lot and in the sacristy. <sigh>

You meant loft, not lot.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 02, 2017, 07:03:54 AM
Quote from: Elizabeth on November 01, 2017, 10:14:56 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 01, 2017, 03:57:05 PM
Noticed the old woman trying to beat them with a leaflet?

In my experience, old women are the worst in NO parishes. They're often the most liberal of all.

They always seek some form of control in the parish, also.

There's nothing more sinister in the New Mass than the typical old harpy doing all the readings, while Fr. John sits lazily in a chair between the old altar and the new.

Or even while Fr. is nowhere to be found.  Nothing is a bigger turnoff than watching women take over the sanctuary -- as lectors, sacristans, and various "leaders" -- positions to which they've usually nominated themselves.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 02, 2017, 07:03:54 AM
Quote from: Elizabeth on November 01, 2017, 10:14:56 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 01, 2017, 03:57:05 PM
Noticed the old woman trying to beat them with a leaflet?

In my experience, old women are the worst in NO parishes. They're often the most liberal of all.

They always seek some form of control in the parish, also.

There's nothing more sinister in the New Mass than the typical old harpy doing all the readings, while Fr. John sits lazily in a chair between the old altar and the new.

Yes, nothing more sinister *EXCEPT* when that same harpie distributes holy Communion, while Fr. John looks on.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Vetus Ordo

The new altars are also so...lame. No beauty or majesty whatsoever. Just a random table put there in the middle of the sanctuary. Completely out of place.

The same happens with the new vestments which are supposedly a recovery of gothic vestments, I believe. They usually look silly, oversized and dull. If you couple that with priests that refuse to wear the cassock and it gets surreal.

The whole ambiance of the New Mass, with a few honorable exceptions here and there, is of a Church that doesn't take herself very seriously. That's my conclusion. They don't really believe the stuff they're doing there. Or they believe it just as another humanitarian cause with a veneer of religion. Something nice ,but changeable and disposable if so be it. And I'm not even touching on doctrine. It's just the way they conduct things and present themselves. The way they clothe the sancturay. The way harpies run business as if the clergy had nothing better to do. The whole thing is just silly.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 02, 2017, 09:19:57 AM
The new altars are also so...lame. No beauty or majesty whatsoever. Just a random table put there in the middle of the sanctuary. Completely out of place.

The same happens with the new vestments which are supposedly a recovery of gothic vestments, I believe. They usually look silly, oversized and dull. If you couple that with priests that refuse to wear the cassock and it gets surreal.

The whole ambiance of the New Mass, with a few honorable exceptions here and there, is of a Church that doesn't take herself very seriously. That's my conclusion. They don't really believe the stuff they're doing there. Or they believe it just as another humanitarian cause with a veneer of religion. Something nice ,but changeable and disposable if so be it. And I'm not even touching on doctrine. It's just the way they conduct things and present themselves. The way they clothe the sancturay. The way harpies run business as if the clergy had nothing better to do. The whole thing is just silly.

Indeed -- to your observations and perceptions.  It is also several other things, in my opinion.

1.  It communicates a church that doesn't enjoy what it's doing -- despite all the happy clappy talk-- but is just as bored as it makes other people bored, with its boring beige, plain-cloth chasubles and complete rejection of anything formal whatsoever. 

2. It wants not to distinguish itself, including in clothing, so that "everyone" can relate -- but actually that's quite an insult, as well, to assume that the congregation is as boring and indistinguishable as the vestments the priest wears.  Talk about appealing to the lowest common denominator.  Think about what political system strives for uniformity across the population.

3. It is also an unmistakable -- and in my opinion, deliberate -- rejection of beauty -- along with form.  Be as ugly as possible; now THAT will attract people to come to Mass.

4.  As a subversive political message, it rejects anything elevated, because what is elevated might appeal to someone with more refined taste, which in turn supposedly smacks of elitism.  God forbid that the Mass should appeal to anyone with an education, let alone someone truly cultivated.  If you think the latter is just my imagination out of control, I am telling you, as someone previously but regretfully well traveled within the N.O., that I have seen this formally and informally preached and sung at such Masses:  that the Mass is for ordinary folk explicitly and officially, and the rest of us are not nearly as welcome as "average" people, whatever that means.

You know, newChurch can't even keep up with its own communications directors.  We are all ordinary folk, spiritually, and some of us are extraordinary sinners, but again, the political message is a new Commandment:  Thou shalt not, in appearance or in fact, be recognizably different from anyone else in the congregation; thou shalt be overtly ordinary, which is why we in the N.O. call so much of the liturgical year Ordinary Time:  we mean it.  That would be the Eleventh Commandment

Lynne

Quote from: Miriam_M on November 02, 2017, 08:37:46 AM
Quote from: Lynne on November 02, 2017, 08:35:14 AM

You meant loft, not lot.

lol Thank you! I blame my keyboard. It frequently drops 'f's now. I need to be more consistent in my proof-reading.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Quote from: Archer on November 02, 2017, 08:34:56 AM
Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2017, 04:01:52 PM
I would have decked that bitch.

How accepting and tolerant of them not to.

Yes, you can see how liberalism spreads.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

dymphna17

While I tend to lay much of the blame of today's church at the feet of the harpies, had men been men years ago this church as well as this world would have been vastly different.  Our forums and books are full of one example after another citing various reasons why they are not.  It seems to get worse with each generation that passes. 

Looking at the people in these videos, I see alot of gray hair.  I would love to look at them and say, "Oh, you poor older people must suffer very much having to attend the NO.  Perhaps you are edified seeing these young men come in and stand for the true Faith as you would certainly have done in your day."  But no, most of them would have been the ones calling the police.  It didn't look as though a single one came to the aid of these young men.  It is all too true, most of these people want things the way they are.  Sadly, I know and am related to many who believe the same way and can barely stomach another litany of reasons why "it's so much better now".  And with that, the current generations, well, you're not going to defend what you don't understand.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Jacob

It's interesting how when i first started checking out Catholic blogs and fora, old ladies were often lauded as the ones who prayed their rosaries before Mass and had their novenas going.  It takes a bit of wrapping one's head around the fact that all those old ladies are mostly dead by now and have been replaced by the harpies.

RIP Catholic old ladies.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson