Gamergate

Started by james03, January 03, 2016, 10:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

This is kind of an interesting topic, and in fact you sense there is something of great importance here.   It's kind of a topic where the Catholic just stands back and watch.  You basically have the socially liberal libertarian , usually atheist (taking the gamers side) against the old school commie leftist feminists.

First a quick background for those who don't know anything about it.  I heard about it a year or more ago, and never really studied it much.  I was surprised to find it still around as a controversy.  It started rather benign, a feminist gamer developer was outed for having slept with a reporter from the gaming industry, and she got good reviews from him for what evidently was a crappy game.  This was the Zoe person.  The gamers formed a hashtag "gamergate" and began discussing it.  You had the normal trolls posting threats, but you also had people discussing topics about the gaming press, and how it had become dishonest.

The gaming press hit back literally attacking its own audience, focusing on the troll remarks and not addressing the issue.  It became a feminist issue.  There were reports of death threats, which many suspect were faked by the reporters themselves, and yes probably some real threats by trolls.

Gamergate then goes national and a feminist named Sarkeesian, claiming to be a gamer or some sort of expert, wades in writing a story about depictions of women in games.  She even posted a game template for a new game promoting feminism, which became a joke with not one developer buying the game.

As of now, it looks like Gamergate is winning the war, actually they might have already won.  The gaming press, which was in bed with feminists kind of started a war they could not win, and the computer/social media prowess of gamers outmaneuvered the liberal press.  Even Anonymous chimed in outing Sarkeesian as someone who lied -- she was not a gamer.  So where it stands now the gaming press has agreed to a code of ethics, but interestingly, the feminists can't let it die.  Here's a good video summing things up.  Note it is from an atheist libertarian youtube channel, which is in itself interesting:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCExXie1XB4[/yt]

I don't know what to make of this, so I'll just list some points:
1.  This was a war between socially liberal vs. socially liberal.
2.  There's a lot wrong with games for Catholics, especially sexually suggestive stuff, so we don't have much of a dog in this fight.  However its good to see the feminists getting their butts kicked.
3.  This is a predictable outcome of feminism.  You take away the feminine female side of the social bargain, and men have taken away the gentlemen side of the bargain.  So secular males want to see scantily clad women that look hot in their games.  This is the same phenomenon that explains why men don't marry.  It is satisfying to watch the feminists whine about what they themselves created, predictable by anyone with a Catholic brain.  I want to stress this point, the feminists killed the gentlemen in secular culture.
4.  The press got their butts kicked by believing their own feminist crap.  They some how convinced themselves that attacking their own audience would be acceptable since it was a feminist message.  I've seen this kind of drinking their own kool aide mentality before.  It is something we need to observe and remember.
5.  Sarkeesian is an interesting character, it is hard to figure her motive.  First and obvious she got page views from the controversy.  She made money off of it.  This is the most obvious, so is probably all there is to it.  Second, the suggested game she came up with keeps me from accepting the first explanation as the only cause.  She could have been setting up a "feminist consultant" industry, which I observed in the oil industry with the "sensitivity training" consultants.  Gaming is where the money is, so get your slice.  Third, and most sinister, is again revealed by her suggested game.  It goes like this:  the commie feminists realize that TV and the mainline press are dying out.  Gaming is huge.  So this could be an attempt to get a new vector for reprogramming, just like TV was used to reprogram people to accept faggots.

I find this topic interesting.  There's more here than meets the eye.

For the logically challenged, I don't accept the scantily clad women in the games.  However, I reject feminism obviously.  Men are still men, and when you take away the Catholic Faith, they are going to revert to their fallen nature.  So it is predictable that they will look for hook ups, not want to marry, and want to see hot chicks in their games. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

One more interesting point.  You have a fag named Milo who evidently is popular on the internet chiming in in support of the gamers.  I suggest you not watch his interview, I did for you.  Anyhow, when you get a trendy, hip fag laughing at you, it is interesting to say the least.  The feminists are a laughing stock in certain circles.  Being laughed at is a big no-no in the revolution.  It means you have lost pull.

Again, I can't quite wrap my mind around what the implications are around all of this, but I do know that there are lessons learned buried in this controversy we should figure out.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

The Harlequin King

I'm a PC game enthusiast ("gamer" in the conventional sense is probably misleading). Gamergate is a trainwreck that I just watch and shake my head from the sidelines at. The Gamergaters make some good points, but they're also composed largely of juvenile trolls. I have noticed that female characters in some games that came out in 2015 have more realistic, less sexualized figures, so the backlash must have been felt by the industry.

While there are few game developers that could be called "conservative", the game industry as a whole is inherently more conservative in certain respects than the rest of the entertainment world. It's certainly the one that the Jewish establishment takes the least interest in, because their culture in general finds games of any kind (such as sports) to be frivolous. Not saying there are no Jewish athletes or game developers any more than there are no Baptist alcoholics, obviously; it's just a general trend that they find games to be very goy.

The Harlequin King

Btw, I think this subforum is more about forum-based games which can overinflate one's post count than for discussing commercial video games.

The Harlequin King

Another thought: while I admit you're still on your ass, gaming is a lot more active than other passive modes of home entertainment (TV shows and film). It uses more brain activity, and with the right kinds of games, can even sharpen your senses. More importantly, with games that have role-playing elements, you can steer the moral compass and narrative as you see fit. This probably upsets the Jewish multimedia establishment more than anything else. Since the original Warner brothers, they've had the advantage of beaming stories directly entirely by them right into our heads. And what's the worst thing about cable? It's not TV itself, but the constant stream of material that you have no control over. The gaming industry is driven a lot more by the demands of its customer base than TV and film, and is a lot more dangerous to the establishment. This phenomenon was even directly referenced in an Assassin's Creed game once, which was rather bold.

Oddly, I play a lot more games now as a husband and dad than when I was single, and more than any of my bachelor friends. I think they've mostly given up on games in favor of "Netflix and chill", which I abhor. Right now, my wife and I take turns playing Fallout 4.

Prayerful

Good game. Fallout IV has any number of ruinous Boston / Massachusetts churches, some perhaps are landmarks, some others might be just representing this or that rural church. I found a rabid ghoul in the garb of a priessupportst or minister of religion in some ruinous city church. I took it. Overall in that game religious is only vaguely represented. Perhaps that's for the best sometimes.

Gamersgate seems like a fight between two really annoying sets of people, neckbeard atheists v militant feminists. I struggled to care.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Chestertonian

i tried understanding it once and then thought to myself "you know it's bad when spending an hour playingET: tgr video game is a better way o spend the time
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Hiero of Syracuse

I haven't heard much about this particular controversy. Although I am aware of criticisms of the gaming community in some quarters, such as its alleged misogyny, I haven't really paid much attention to them.

Though I found HK's contribution to the discussion rather insightful. The fact that gaming is a bit more resilient to the tendency in other forms of entertainment of beaming messages you have no control over into you head, suggest that it could very well earn the possible ire of those who are unhappy with the fact that games aren't "feminist" enough or whatever nonsense. This is not to say that I am on the side of those who want half-naked women in their games, but I'd approach the problem from a different, more Catholic angle.

james03

Here's an analogy:  During WWII, Hitler had a great stroke of luck when he invaded Russia in 1941.  Not far from the border the German army ran into the Soviet invasion army being set up to invade Germany.  The Soviets were caught off guard and Germany wiped them out.

I see the same thing in this controversy.  The gamers were ticked off by this ethical problem and attacked the press.  It seems like they ran into a waiting feminist invasion army, which was caught off guard.

It is interesting because this was a nothing story about a female game developer who slept with a reporter.  It should have died out perhaps a few weeks afterwards, the main attraction being the gossip.  The strange thing was this coordinated attack by the gaming press against their own audience.  That's the interesting piece of it.

james03

Plot thickens:

QuoteTo ensure people can continue to express themselves freely and safely on Twitter, we must provide more tools and policies. With hundreds of millions of Tweets sent per day, the volume of content on Twitter is massive, which makes it extraordinarily complex to strike the right balance between fighting abuse and speaking truth to power. It requires a multi-layered approach where each of our 320 million users has a part to play, as do the community of experts working for safety and free expression.

That's why we are announcing the formation of the Twitter Trust & Safety Council, a new and foundational part of our strategy to ensure that people feel safe expressing themselves on Twitter.

As we develop products, policies, and programs, our Trust & Safety Council will help us tap into the expertise and input of organizations at the intersection of these issues more efficiently and quickly. In developing the Council, we are taking a global and inclusive approach so that we can hear a diversity of voices from organizations including:

Feminist Frequency
    GLAAD
    The Anti-Defamation League

Fascism from the left wing social issues side.  I also read that the SJWs are invading the Open Source Software teams.  Making everyone sign loyalty oaths to social "justice".  I wander if the ADL has been behind this assault all along.  As previously mentioned, the attack on gamers was well coordinated.  They wanted to control games because TV is dying.  Now they are after social networking.  Don't know why they are after OSS however.

And how about the Orwellian Trust and Safety Council?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: james03 on February 09, 2016, 06:14:27 PM
Fascism from the left wing social issues side.  I also read that the SJWs are invading the Open Source Software teams.  Making everyone sign loyalty oaths to social "justice".  I wander if the ADL has been behind this assault all along.

Well, I have zero doubt that those behind the godless campaigns popping up all over our society would be those same people the ADL purports to defend.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Akavit

Losers that feel unsafe on Twitter ought to peek in on the real world sometime.

The world isn't a safe place.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Akavit on February 09, 2016, 07:27:58 PM

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 09, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Quote from: Akavit on February 09, 2016, 07:27:58 PM

Hillary sees Huma.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.