Pope Francis to Say Holy Thursday Mass at Prison

Started by LouisIX, March 25, 2013, 03:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Pope Francis changes Holy Thursday plans to celebrate Mass in prison
Carol Glatz Catholic News Service  |  Mar. 21, 2013
Vatican City

Pope Francis has decided to celebrate the Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper in a Rome juvenile detention facility and wash the feet of some of the young detainees.

It marks a change in venue of the previously scheduled March 28 Holy Week event from St. Peter's Basilica to Rome's Casal del Marmo prison for minors.

While the practice of his predecessors has included washing the feet of priests or laypeople, the ceremony was normally held in either St. Peter's Basilica or the Basilica of St. John Lateran.

The Vatican said that, as archbishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis used to celebrate the Mass of the Lord's Supper -- which reflects on the call to imitate Christ by serving one another -- in prisons, hospitals or shelters for the poor and marginalized.

"With the celebration at Casal del Marmo, Pope Francis will continue that practice, which must be carried out in a context characterized by simplicity," the Vatican said in a statement Thursday.

The Mass of the Lord's Supper highlights "the commandment of love" and service through the ritual of washing the feet of others, the statement said.

The other Holy Week and Easter events and celebrations were expected to remain as previously scheduled, the Vatican said, including the pope celebrating the morning chrism Mass on Holy Thursday in St. Peter's Basilica, in which the chrism and the oils used in the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, ordination and the anointing of the sick are blessed.

(http://ncronline.org/news/vatican/pope-francis-changes-holy-thursday-plans-celebrate-mass-prison)
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Somewhat noteworthy are Fr. Z's comments on this.  His tone toward Pope Francis had taken a slight turn (though changed somewhat later, as you can see below).

Quote from: Fr. ZThis is a pretty dramatic move by the Holy Father.

Look. I understand what Francis is doing here. Fine. But in making such a dramatic change, I fear that he runs the risk of making these changes all about him, rather than some other message he wants to convey. The same goes for all the other changes he is making. The papacy isn't just his own thing to do with what it pleaseth him to do. The changes can become distractions, especially the way the media will handle them.

We will also have to see if he issues a Letter to Priests for Holy Thursday, as did his predecessors.

In the meantime, we may soon see the appointment of a new Secretary of State, which will tell us a great deal about where Francis is going to aim the Church... and the Roman Curia. That move will make a bigger impression on me than celebrating Holy Thursday Mass in a prison. That will tell he if he means business ...or business as usual.

Though he did amend the above with this:

Quote from: Fr. Z
UPDATE

Apparently the Mass of the Last Supper was to be at the Vatican Basilica. Perhaps this was because Francis had not formally taken possession of his Cathedral, St John Lateran. That throws a new dimension into his decision. Since he wasn't going to be at the Lateran anyway, why not...

(http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/03/francis-to-say-holy-thursday-mass-at-a-prison/)
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Someone1776

Father Cekada actually praised one of Father Z's recent articles on Francis.

This be interesting times we live in...

Innocent Smith

Wasn't Father Z having a knip shin fit over criticizing Pope Francis early in his pontificate?

So it took him about 7 days to start criticizing himself. Actually he criticized his fist Mass in the Sistine Chapel. Something about you need to go high in this situation.

But, he must be superior and only Father Z is allowed to vent or give criticism. Right?

He is basically like John Madden. He ought to run replays of liturgy and draw white circles around the action.

What would we do without any of these guys? These professional Catholics.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Mithrandylan

And, what is to happen with the washing of the feet?  All indications are that this is a mixed sex prison.  Will Francis be washing the feet of women (thereby  violating even the new rubrics)?  If he does, it will be a great triumph over oppressive and arbitrary disciplines, drawing us all closer together in the unity of the human bond, drawing closer to a fuller recognition of our sisters in Christ.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Bonaventure

Quote from: Mithrandylan on March 25, 2013, 08:41:28 AM
And, what is to happen with the washing of the feet?  All indications are that this is a mixed sex prison.  Will Francis be washing the feet of women (thereby  violating even the new rubrics)?  If he does, it will be a great triumph over oppressive and arbitrary disciplines, drawing us all closer together in the unity of the human bond, drawing closer to a fuller recognition of our sisters in Christ.

We'll just wait and see.

Mr. B. is already a modernist. This is just to see how far he's willing to drag NewChurch into the Brave New World. He may go beyond Paul VI.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

dymphna17

What more could we expect?  Of course this Pope will go to the lowest of the...oh sorry, the most humble of us all to show us just how holy he is and we should be.  This man is quickly becoming boring and predictable. 

Does anyone else get the feeling that some of this is being put on to show us that Pope Benedict should never have been elected?  Kind of a "finally I'm in my rightful position" type of thing.  Maybe I'm just a bitter old Trad that finds evil everywhere.   :shrug:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 26, 2013, 08:43:29 PM
Maybe I'm just a bitter old Trad that finds evil everywhere.   :shrug:

Unfortunately, there is evil everywhere anymore...
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

MilesChristi

mixed sex prison? those exist?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: MilesChristi on March 26, 2013, 10:24:50 PM

mixed sex prison? those exist?

It is juvenile.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Mithrandylan on March 26, 2013, 10:29:49 PM
It is juvenile.

Agreed.  Why can't he just use St. Peter's?

Oh, you mean the prison... 

;)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--