Which edition of Dickens would you recommend?

Started by Bernadette, May 18, 2020, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I'm looking to eventually buy all of Dickens' novels in Kindle format, and I'm wondering which edition has the best notes/introductions. So far I've looked at the Penguin Classics and the Oxford World's Classics editions. It's hard to judge from Amazon's reviews because reviews of multiple editions of each novel are just  all lumped together. Any fellow bibliophiles care to give an opinion?
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on May 18, 2020, 12:53:18 PM
I'm looking to eventually buy all of Dickens' novels in Kindle format, and I'm wondering which edition has the best notes/introductions. So far I've looked at the Penguin Classics and the Oxford World's Classics editions. It's hard to judge from Amazon's reviews because reviews of multiple editions of each novel are just  all lumped together. Any fellow bibliophiles care to give an opinion?

I don't have an opinion about which edition but I *always* get a sample of a Kindle book. That's usually enough to give you a sense of how good the structure of the book is.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

clau clau

I would get Dickens from Gutenberg and side-load it only the kindle.

There is no copyright on Dickens (it's too long ago).

There is also something called Whispernet where you can email a book to your kindle.

Anybody with an Amazon account will have an email like: john.smith@kindle.com
(if you email registered with amazon was something like john.smith@gmail.com, or john.smith@hotmail.com)

If you take the file from Gutenberg and send it to that email the book with appear on you Kindle in about 2 minutes. You need to connect to the wireless and do a sync. Once you have got the hang of it, it is easy as pie.

e.g. Below is the Gutenberg link for Little Dorritt.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/963

... and here is the kindle version (with images)

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/963.kindle.images?session_id=8bc50ebc807b368fd31a9ba9a4822184d845368d

edit:The other way to side-load it is to plug the Kindle into a USB port; It will appear as a Hard disk. Now drag the mobi file to the "My Documents" folder on the Kindle.

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

maryslittlegarden

I love the project gutenberg site.  For the most part, I want just the text and no commentary on it.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace