I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

Elizabeth

Quote from: Lady D on April 28, 2013, 06:19:23 PM
I wonder if Bishop Tissier de Mallerais assumes that no sedevacantists actually assist at SSPX chapels when he refers to the "vast majority of Traditionalist Catholics". Many do, usually out of the necessity of receiving valid sacraments, and in other cases, convenience (distance).

I am 99% certain that Bp. Tissier is fully aware of the fact that a number of sede vacantists assist at SSPX chapels. 

RobertJS

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 25, 2013, 11:19:36 PM
To: Fr. Paul Schoonbroodt

2/28/2009

Dear Fr.
I received your letter upon my return from the U. S. I can see why a priest or a
layman can entertain doubts as to the validity of a Pope such as J.P. II or Benedict
XVI; did not Msgr. Lefebvre entertain them? However just as our venerable founder,
I myself do not wish to make this legitimate doubt the main reason for my combat or
as a justification for my actions. My combat is based totally on the duty to defend the
faith as per St. Paul. As for him who is seated on the See of Rome: Because there is
a doubt, the presumption is in favour of the possessor; and since the Sede-Vacante
arguments are not accepted by the vast majority of the traditionalist Catholics, it is
necessary to apply Can. # 209: "in dubio positivo....juridictionem supplet ecclesia pro
fors tum externo tum interno." (in case of positive doubt... jurisdiction is supplied by
the Church in both the internal and external forums.); that is why the SSPX maintains
contact with Benedict XVI; of course, not to embrace his errors, but to convert him.
Please accept dear Fr. The assurance of my religious devotion in spite of all this in
Our Lord Jesus Christ.

+Bernard Tissier de Mallerais

My prime question after reading this would be, why is he not aware of the Catholic principle, "a doubtful pope is no pope", and what would he say once informed of it?

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Bonaventure

You'd have to ask him.

The biggest reason he and others of his persuasion are not sedevacantists is because they don't like where sedevacantism ends up. They think it means the end of a hierarchical Church. If the new popes and new bishops are simply "material heretics" or still possess their offices, the crisis seems easier to get out of.

I thought the same things when I was a sedeplenist.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Othmar

Fr. Paul Schoonbroodt was removed from his parish by his bishop in 1988 for refusing to celebrate the NOM, and Mgr. Lefebvre confirming in his parish. He was excommunicated later that year because the parish still supported him. If I recall correctly, he did indeed become a sedevacantist after his excommunication.

joe17

Fr Schoonbroodt was sedevacantist.  I never met him, but I know he was friendly with sedevacantist priests.  May he rest in peace.

Joe