Did Pope Martin I recognize Antipope Eugene I as the valid pope?

Started by Geremia, November 25, 2014, 08:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Geremia on November 25, 2014, 08:40:14 PM
Did Pope St. Martin I recognize Antipope Eugene I as the valid pope?
(This is claimed by a Siri Thesis supporter.)
thanks

Pope Eugene has never been counted as an antipope, and is in fact a saint of the Church. The overlap between the Exile of St. Martin, the election of St. Eugene, and St. Martin's death was a period of irregularity, where the Church of Rome was unsure if She still had her bishop. In any event, St. Eugene would have fully assumed the papacy at St. Martin's death, if St. Martin did not express his abdication upon his exile. To call him an antipope is historically false.

Edit: I also find it funny that these Siri-ites never have any evidence for their position. It's just a bunch of conjecture and third-hand accounts.

Geremia

Quote from: GloriaPatri on November 25, 2014, 09:01:27 PMPope Eugene has never been counted as an antipope, and is in fact a saint of the Church. The overlap between the Exile of St. Martin, the election of St. Eugene, and St. Martin's death was a period of irregularity, where the Church of Rome was unsure if She still had her bishop. In any event, St. Eugene would have fully assumed the papacy at St. Martin's death, if St. Martin did not express his abdication upon his exile. To call him an antipope is historically false.
He says here:
Quote"Eugene I" was created in an emergency by the clergy of Rome, as Martin I seemingly could not be reached. Yet he (Eugene I) was an unlawful "pope" (an Antipope) as the eminent papal historian, Artaud de Montor explains Martin I could not have given up the See of Peter validly so long as he remained under duress.
It's a strange situation, but Eugene I technically was an antipope before Pope St. Martin's death.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Geremia on November 25, 2014, 09:21:41 PM
Quote from: GloriaPatri on November 25, 2014, 09:01:27 PMPope Eugene has never been counted as an antipope, and is in fact a saint of the Church. The overlap between the Exile of St. Martin, the election of St. Eugene, and St. Martin's death was a period of irregularity, where the Church of Rome was unsure if She still had her bishop. In any event, St. Eugene would have fully assumed the papacy at St. Martin's death, if St. Martin did not express his abdication upon his exile. To call him an antipope is historically false.
He says here:
Quote"Eugene I" was created in an emergency by the clergy of Rome, as Martin I seemingly could not be reached. Yet he (Eugene I) was an unlawful "pope" (an Antipope) as the eminent papal historian, Artaud de Montor explains Martin I could not have given up the See of Peter validly so long as he remained under duress.
It's a strange situation, but Eugene I technically was an antipope before Pope St. Martin's death.

He has never been counted as such. He has been on the official list of popes for, well, forever. As long as there has been an officially published list, anyways. Even if he were an antipope prior to the death of St. Martin, St. Eugene would've immediately ascended to the papacy at the moment St. Martin was passed. If anything, Eugene could be called a pope-elect, a coadjutor if you will. His election was necessary, as no one could get in contact with Pope St. Martin or even know if he was still alive once he was arrested and taken from Rome.

Geremia

Quote from: GloriaPatri on November 25, 2014, 10:04:44 PMHe has never been counted as such. He has been on the official list of popes for, well, forever. As long as there has been an officially published list, anyways. Even if he were an antipope prior to the death of St. Martin, St. Eugene would've immediately ascended to the papacy at the moment St. Martin was passed. If anything, Eugene could be called a pope-elect, a coadjutor if you will. His election was necessary, as no one could get in contact with Pope St. Martin or even know if he was still alive once he was arrested and taken from Rome.
Yeah, I agree; it's not fair to call him an antipope because he had no intention of opposing the real pope, whom he thought died.

Michael Wilson

There was a pope that tendered his resignation before being sent into exile by the Roman Emperor. I'll see if I can find his name and story.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Here is the wiki article; its interesting to read, as there are some disputes as to the earlier Papal resignations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation

List of papal resignations
Pontificate    Portrait    Regnal name    Personal name    Reason for Resignation    Notes
Apocryphal
21 July 230
– 28 September 235
(5 years+)       St Pontian    Pontianus    Exiled by Roman authorities    Resignation documented only in the Liberian Catalogue, which records his resignation as 28 September 235, the earliest exact date in papal history.[12][13]
30 June 296
– 1 April 304
(7 years+)    Marcellinus.jpg    St Marcellinus    Marcellinus    Said to have been tainted by offerings to the pagan gods during the Diocletian persecution    Resignation is documented only in the Liberian Catalogue.
17 May 352
– 24 September 366
(14 years+)    Liberius.jpg    Liberius    Liberius    Banished by Emperor Constantius II[2]    Resignation is speculated to explain the succession of Antipope Felix II,[2] although Liber Pontificalis argues that Liberius retained office in exile.
January 1004
– July 1009
(5 years+)    Ioannes XVIII.jpg    John XVIII    Fasanius    Unknown    Resignation documented only in one catalog of popes.
20 January 1045
– 10 February 1045
(1 month)    Silvestro3.jpg    Sylvester III    Giovanni dei Crescenzi–Ottaviani    Driven out of office by the return of Benedict IX    Some claim he was never pope, but an antipope. The official Vatican list includes him however, which assumes Benedict IX acquiesced to his first deposition and that the new election was valid. Sylvester returned to his old bishopric, seemingly accepting the deposition.
Pre-canonical
22 May 964
– 23 June 964
(1 month)    Scherbe vom Grab Benedikt V.jpg    Benedict V    Benedict Grammaticus    Deposed by the Emperor Otto    Deposed in favor of the antipope Leo VIII, who then reigned as valid pope. His abdication is considered valid. Retained the rank of deacon. Lived out the rest of his life in Hamburg under the care of Adaldag, Archbishop of Hamburg-Bremen
October 1032–September 1044 & April 1045–May 1045 & November 1047–July 1048    Benoit IX.jpg    Benedict IX    Theophylactus III, Conti di Tusculum    Deposed briefly from his first term as pope, bribed to resign his second term after several reputed scandals, and also resigned his third term.    Earliest resignation recognized in the ordering of popes. He was pope on three occasions between 1032 and 1048.[14] One of the youngest popes, he was the only man to have been pope on more than one occasion and the only man ever to have sold the papacy
April/May 1045
– 20 December 1046
(1-year+)    B Gregor VI.jpg    Gregory VI    Johannes Gratianus    Accused of simony for bribing Benedict IX to resign    Abdicated or deposed at the Council of Sutri
Canonical
5 July 1294
– 13 December 1294
(0 years, 161 days)    B Colestin V.jpg    St Celestine V, O.S.B.    Pietro da Morrone    Lack of competence for the office    With no administrative experience, Celestine fell under the control of secular politicians. To protect the church, he resigned. He was the first pope to establish canons for resignation.
30 November 1406
– 4 July 1415
(8 years, 216 days)    Gregory XII.jpg    Gregory XII    Angelo Correr    To end the Western Schism    Abdicated during the Council of Constance which had been called by his opponent, Antipope John XXIII.
19 April 2005
– 28 February 2013
(7 years, 315 days)    Benedykt XVI (2010-10-17) 2.jpg    Benedict XVI    Joseph Ratzinger    Physical infirmity/advanced age    Became Pope emeritus upon resignation. Under regulations established in Ingravescentem Aetatem established in 1970, mandatory retirement ages were instituted for Priests, Bishops, and Cardinals.
Conditional resignations not put into effect

Before setting out for Paris to crown Napoleon in 1804, Pope Pius VII (1800–1823) signed a document of resignation to take effect if he were imprisoned in France.[2]

It has been claimed that during World War II, Pius XII drew up a document with instructions that, if he were kidnapped by the Nazis, he was to be considered to have resigned his office, and that the College of Cardinals were to evacuate to neutral Portugal and elect a successor.[15]

In February 1989, John Paul II wrote a letter of resignation to the Dean of the College of Cardinals, which said that he would resign from the papacy in one of two cases: if he had an incurable disease that would prevent him from exercising the apostolic ministry; or in case of a "severe and prolonged impairment" that would have kept him from being the pope.[16]
Incapacitation

Canon law makes no provision for a pope being incapacitated for reasons of health, either temporarily or permanently; nor does it specify what body has the authority to certify that the pope is incapacitated.[17] It does state that "When the Roman See is vacant, or completely impeded, no innovation is to be made in the governance of the universal Church."[3][18]

If requested, a diocesan bishop must offer his resignation from the governance of his diocese on completion of his seventy-fifth year of age[19] and cardinals are not allowed to join a conclave after reaching eighty. However, there is no requirement for a pope to resign upon reaching any particular age. Since the enactment of these rules concerning diocesan bishops and cardinals, three popes—Paul VI, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI—have reached the age of eighty during their pontificates. (Pope John Paul I only reached the age of 65.)

In the years leading up to his death in 2005, some sources suggested that John Paul II ought to resign due to his failing health,[20] but Vatican officials always ruled out this possibility[citation needed] (although it was later revealed that he had considered standing down in 2000,[21] when he turned 80, so he clearly felt the possibility was there). However, Benedict XVI, his successor, resigned for just this reason.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers