VP Joe Biden Refuses to Kiss Pope's Ring Due to His "Dignity"

Started by LouisIX, March 22, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

VP Biden: Dignity trumps ring-kissing etiquette
By VERENA DOBNIK | Associated Press

Reuters/REUTERS - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill (L) are greeted by Pope Francis in Saint Peter's Basilica after his inauguration at the Vatican, in a picture released by Osservatore Romano

NEW YORK (AP) — Joe Biden doesn't kiss up to anyone — whether a queen or a pope.

The vice president told a gathering of Irish-Americans in New York City on Thursday that as a young U.S. senator he was to meet the queen of England.

He remembers getting a call from his mother, who told him not to kiss the queen's ring.

Years later, when he was to meet Pope John Paul II, Biden says his mother told him not to kiss the pope's ring.

Biden, a Roman Catholic descended from struggling Irish immigrants, says his dad said it was "all about dignity."

Biden says his mother told him that no one is "better" than him. And while Biden should treat everyone with respect, his mother said her son should also "demand respect.'"

(http://news.yahoo.com/vp-biden-dignity-trumps-ring-kissing-etiquette-233606102.html)
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

This isn't surprising but it's almost mind-numbing to try and understand a thought process so warped. 

What a world, where the chief vice is called virtue.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Archer

Not surprising, but I'm shocked his wife is wearing a veil.  She might just be trying to fit in. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:27:05 AM
Not surprising, but I'm shocked his wife is wearing a veil.  She might just be trying to fit in.

I thought the same.  Do many women wear veils at St. Peter's, however?  I would guess not, but I've never been.

Archer

I remember hearing somewhere that Italian women often still cover their heads when in Church.  I can't remember where I heard or read it so I have no idea if I'm way off the mark.  But it would make more sense for her to do it as a culture thing rather than out of understanding and respect. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:32:38 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that Italian women often still cover their heads when in Church.  I can't remember where I heard or read it so I have no idea if I'm way off the mark.  But it would make more sense for her to do it as a culture thing rather than out of understanding and respect.

Call me a pessimist but I didn't even seriously entertain the thought of the latter.

stitchmom

We shouldn't assume things about a wife's beliefs based on her husband's conduct. There are examples in the Bible like Abigail where a good woman was married to a foolish man.

EcceQuamBonum

Well, I'm sure Pope Francis didn't mind that Biden didn't kiss his ring.  Dignity, meet humility; humility, dignity.   ;)
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Gerard

Hard to figure out how Biden has dignity when he destroys the dignity of his soul and nothing he says, does or thinks has any positive value except as a warning to others of what not to do or be.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Archer

Quote from: stitchmom on March 22, 2013, 08:07:57 AM
We shouldn't assume things about a wife's beliefs based on her husband's conduct. There are examples in the Bible like Abigail where a good woman was married to a foolish man.

Yep and there are plenty of other instances in the bible where the woman caused her husband to sin or was the wicked or foolish one in the relationship.  Real quick, what's that story about Eve eating the apple...?

The bible is often misquoted or misinterpreted.  In fact it's been used by radicals for centuries in order to justify their crazed actions.  I would hesitate from pulling random stories from it to try and correlate them with our lives.  I don't think that's it's purpose at all. 

To back myself up I did a quick google search.  Jill Biden shares her husband's views and is pro abortion through and through.

http://archive.lifenews.com/nat4337.html

Quote"Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- In a spat among the wives of the candidates for president, Michelle Obama and Jill Biden say that keeping unlimited abortions legal is important. They disagree with Cindy McCain, who says she is pro-life but knows Americans are worried about the economy.

The skirmish started with an interview McCain gave to ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, in which she repeated her pro-life position.

While she agrees with her husband, the Arizona senator John McCain, on opposing abortion, Cindy McCain told Diane Sawyer that Americans are focusing on the economy and resisted the news anchor's repeated bias in her abortion questions.

"There are people without jobs, that are hurting, whose businesses who have collapsed. This is not the major issue on people's minds right now," she said.

After ABC news showed Biden and Obama the clip, both questioned McCain and claimed that keeping abortion legal is an important issue for women.

"I think it's very important personally," Biden told ABC News' Claire Shipman. "But I am of that generation of women who fought for Roe v. Wade and I can't imagine the Supreme Court overturning it. I think women have to remember that."

Michelle Obama agreed and told the program: "It's one of the many important issues that women are going to be thinking about in this election."

The pair also went after pro-life Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, saying women voters will not support her just because she is a woman.

"Why would they vote for her just because she's a woman?" asked Biden. "I mean, what's the rationale behind that? They have to look at how things are going to change and help their families. That's what they have to focus on."

That Michelle Obama is pro-abortion is no surprise to followers of the campaign.

In May, she came under fire for a letter she wrote defending partial-birth abortions and defending her husband during his 2004 campaign for saying he opposed a national ban on the gruesome abortion procedure.

At the Democratic convention last month, she attacked John McCain's pro-life views at a fundraiser for a leading pro-abortion group that calls for taxpayer funded abortions and promotes partial-birth abortions."

So I'll state it again.  I highly doubt she knowingly veiled herself out of respect for Our Lord or even the Holy Father.  She was probably told by some PR person that it would be a good idea or that it was customary and complied. 

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:27:05 AM
Have you seen the Biden's bible?
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Archer

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on March 22, 2013, 08:27:26 AM
Well, I'm sure Pope Francis didn't mind that Biden didn't kiss his ring.  Dignity, meet humility; humility, dignity.   ;)

My thoughts exactly.  :)

stitchmom

That wasn't an example of twisting a Bible story to fit something crazy.