Annual Forum Post

Started by Kaesekopf, December 05, 2020, 08:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Here's the annual post I make about the forum renewal.

Keep this place going?  Or let it fade into Internet obscurity? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Stu Cool

I might not post much but I almost look every day.  Lots of good information and discussion.

Prayerful

This place is good. The upcoming and foolish suggested amendment of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act could affect forums badly, making the forum operator responsible for content posted, whereas now there isn't responsibility for third party content. One or two I know will have to close as defending against legal harassment would be become uneconomic.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Michael Wilson

I really like this place; enjoy the people here and the discussions; its a good place to interact with other Trads about serious and non serious topics; even to have a few yuks; I hope we can keep this place open for another year.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

orate

I don't post much, but I do check in every day and would miss this forum if it were gone.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

I vote to keep it open. Great site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miriam_M

I voted Yes. I think there's a better representation of trads here than on the current alternatives.  By "better" I don't mean larger (although it could be).  I mean more in keeping with trad viewpoints, knowledge, and lifestyles IRL.

Heinrich

Can you put a voting system in place for posts? Maybe even cash awards for highly regarded posts?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

andy

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Heinrich on December 10, 2020, 09:56:47 AM
Can you put a voting system in place for posts? Maybe even cash awards for highly regarded posts?

Oh, how thoughtful.  But, I really would feel very uncomfortable taking money for my posts  ;D

FamilyRosary

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on December 10, 2020, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on December 10, 2020, 09:56:47 AM

Oh, how thoughtful.  But, I really would feel very uncomfortable taking money for my posts  ;D

At a dollar per Thanks you'd have a tidy little sum there.

I learn a lot here and read several posts or more almost every day. Catholic Answers will be replaced with something even more liberal I fear. Fisheaters is the only other forum I know of that offers intelligent discussion on real Catholic topics, and I don't think a lack of competition would do it much good.

The Church rescued the great Western tradition of civilized debate. I would hate to see that tradition replaced by nothing but tweets and TikTok videos. SD is one of the last two holdouts giving Catholics an opportunity to discuss their faith or simply post interesting information. I think it should remain even if it's the Last Man Standing.
The family that prays together stays together.

mikemac

SD just about runs itself without moderation.  Why would you close it now.   :)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Acolyte

This has become my " shut up and learn something " forum. I don't post much but it seems to be the best trad forum. An orthodox forum really. Hope it's here for a few years longer.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Lynne

Quote from: mikemac on December 10, 2020, 05:46:51 PM

Cost of registering the domain, keeping on top of software upgrades so the forum doesn't get hacked, etc.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

mikemac

Quote from: Lynne on December 11, 2020, 05:15:01 AM
Quote from: mikemac on December 10, 2020, 05:46:51 PM

Cost of registering the domain, keeping on top of software upgrades so the forum doesn't get hacked, etc.

That's all fairly minimal though.  If he didn't want to do even that anymore then he could just give the forum to someone, instead of closing the doors.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source