traditional First Communion preparation

Started by Jayne, October 25, 2020, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I may be in the situation of preparing some of my grandchildren for First Communion.  When I went through this stage with my own children I had not yet discovered traditional Catholicism.  I am not sure I would trust the materials I used then.

What materials/resources do you recommend for this?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bernadette

I've heard of Baltimore Catechism 1 being used.
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

I use the St. Joseph First Communion Catechism.  You could also check Lepanto Press.  They have excellent books.  You might find some stuff there to supplement the Catechism. 

ETA: the Seton religion books are good, as well.  We use those, too

moneil

When I made my First Communion in 1959 and was Confirmed in 1964 we received our preparation at the parochial school and the Baltimore Catechism was used.  Number 1 would undoubtable have been used for our 2nd grade First Communion class, and Number 2 or 3 for Confirmation.

diaduit

coffeeandcigarette

Get the catechism from the SSPX sisters in Browerville. You want "year C," it is the first communion year. Wonderful lessons and beautiful stories. So nice! You can even do correspondence catechism with the Sisters and they grade the work and write letters to your child(ren). Really really nice!

Chestertonian

I like "first communion stories" which you can listen to on libravox there is a spreadsheet that links each story with a corresponding catechism chapter
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Daniel

There's an interesting short novel (allegorical fiction) called The King of the Golden City which I think is intended to aid in first communion preparation. Angelus Press sells it. I think it's no longer under copyright, but I can't seem to find the text for free online anywhere. (There is a free audio version on LibriVox though.)

Lynne

Quote from: Daniel on November 02, 2020, 12:37:40 PM
There's an interesting short novel (allegorical fiction) called The King of the Golden City which I think is intended to aid in first communion preparation. Angelus Press sells it. I think it's no longer under copyright, but I can't seem to find the text for free online anywhere. (There is a free audio version on LibriVox though.)

That is *wonderful* but chapter 12 could be scary for little ones.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Obrien

King of the Golden City is available from St. Augustine Academy Press