Home altars

Started by Relicario, March 03, 2016, 05:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ResRev

Quote from: dymphna17 on October 23, 2016, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on October 22, 2016, 08:36:29 PM
I want to share photos of our home altars through the seasons.  Photobucket is being very buggy and giving me lots of pop ups, so I am just going to link to my pretty neglected blog where I have photos of our home altars.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/12/feast-day-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html

Probably one of my favorite altar photos from June
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/06/june.html

Easter
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/04/easter-family-altar.html

Lent
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/03/lenten-family-altar.html

That is amazing, Traditionallyruralmom! My home altar has been the same for about 25 years, other than to add object from those who have died.  I never thought of changing with the liturgical seasons.  Time to recontemplate!
Love, love the statues. I change the main painting above the altar occasionally with the season, but Traditionallyruralmom has really given me some inspiration. Wow! Beautiful.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

aquinas138

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on October 22, 2016, 08:36:29 PM
I want to share photos of our home altars through the seasons.  Photobucket is being very buggy and giving me lots of pop ups, so I am just going to link to my pretty neglected blog where I have photos of our home altars.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/12/feast-day-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html

Probably one of my favorite altar photos from June
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/06/june.html

Easter
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/04/easter-family-altar.html

Lent
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/03/lenten-family-altar.html

Beautiful.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Traditionallyruralmom

:)
Yes, this is what I do!  It is my main form of seasonal decoration in the home.  Our altar is an old buffet, so many of the items I use to decorate are stored within.  The rest is in the basement.  I have more photos, lovely photos of when we had Mass said on our altar.  I will have to see if I can find them and share them.  I love to decorate my altar.  My girls are my own personal altar and rosary society.  We are always looking out for things to use for our altar. 

Right now for the Rosary crusade I have a cork board to the right of our altar with an Immaculate heart on it.  I have rose pins that we use to keep track of daily sacrifices, and a hanging wooden holder to hold the tally booklet.  I will have to share a photo.  My children love the altar, and we try to pray at it every day.  Some nights are lazy and late, so the rosary is said on the couch,but most of the time it is at the altar.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Lynne

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on October 23, 2016, 03:25:11 PM
:)
Yes, this is what I do!  It is my main form of seasonal decoration in the home.  Our altar is an old buffet, so many of the items I use to decorate are stored within.  The rest is in the basement.  I have more photos, lovely photos of when we had Mass said on our altar.  I will have to see if I can find them and share them.  I love to decorate my altar.  My girls are my own personal altar and rosary society.  We are always looking out for things to use for our altar. 

Right now for the Rosary crusade I have a cork board to the right of our altar with an Immaculate heart on it.  I have rose pins that we use to keep track of daily sacrifices, and a hanging wooden holder to hold the tally booklet.  I will have to share a photo.  My children love the altar, and we try to pray at it every day.  Some nights are lazy and late, so the rosary is said on the couch,but most of the time it is at the altar.

I love this. <3
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Obrien

Officially my favorite thread.

Carleendiane

Hope I did this right, but this is our sacred heart and mother corner. The focal point for living room. Oh, so tiny! Will try to fix.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

aquinas138

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 31, 2016, 10:23:53 AM
Hope I did this right, but this is our sacred heart and mother corner. The focal point for living room. Oh, so tiny! Will try to fix.

I love that rosary.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Sagradocorazon

Hope I don't get in trouble for revivg an older thread, but here are some images I put up for Lent:

The image of the Virgin is the Virgin of the Annunciation by Carlo Dolci, but to me she looks melancholy, so I use the image as an image for Our Lady of Sorrows.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jesus, Mary I love You, save souls

Obrien

It is very nice SagradoCorazon. I love this thread and wouldn't mind seeing it revived.

angelcookie

I like this thread too :)

dymphna17

I love that picture of the Blessed Mother, Sagradocorazon.  Thank you for identifying it.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Sagradocorazon

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 09, 2017, 05:12:42 PM
I love that picture of the Blessed Mother, Sagradocorazon.  Thank you for identifying it.
Yes, the picture is beautiful. It was actually the cover for a free booklet I unexpectedly received along with something that I ordered. I tore it off the booklet and cut off the title (hence the slightly curved top). Then I framed it. Here are some more Carlo Dolci paintings:

Madonna in Glory

Virgin at prayer

Blue Madonna (probably my favorite).

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jesus, Mary I love You, save souls

dymphna17

Wow!  What a gifted artist he was.  I love seeing paintings that truly lift your heart to God.  Not everyone can do that.  I don't blame you for taking the opportunity to frame that one.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

Quote from: aquinas138 on June 02, 2016, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 01, 2016, 07:10:04 PM
Quote from: aquinas138 on March 09, 2016, 10:47:53 AM
My icon wall:

I'm hoping to add a row of the festal icons and icons of each of our patron saints. The book stand is on top of my "liturgical bookshelf," so I have access to everything.

That is very nice.  If you don't mind, what are the two reeds crossed over your icons?

Willow branches - my Ruthenian parish has them in addition to the palms. Palm trees weren't easy to come by in the Carpathian mountains and other Slavic territories, so willow branches were often used instead. The Slavs often call Palm Sunday "Flowery Sunday" for this reason.
In Rome, they do Olive branches. ;)
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

I don't have a home altar: I just have a crucifix, and a wooden decoupage placque of Our Lady of Good Counsel that I'm particularly attached to. I put it and a rosary next to my grandma's bed during her last illness, both at home and when she went to the hospice.  :pray3:

If I ever had children, I would set up a home altar, just to help incorporate the Faith into their lives more fully. It seems like an excellent way to help children really internalize truths of the Faith.
My Lord and my God.