There's lots of Catholic entertainment; just not in English

Started by LaramieHirsch, October 20, 2014, 10:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaramieHirsch

I enjoy digital media.  It is instructive and wondrous. 

I cherish movies, the internet, videogames--all of these modern marvels are extremely useful for passing on information. 

And for homeschool, I've been using film and cartoons to help educate the little ones. 

I wanted to find a video about St. Catherine of Siena.  And I found this:

Santa Catalina de Siena, maestra de oración

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ixkmoe10rE[/yt]

This is a great looking cartoon for the kids.  Problem is: we speak English, not Spanish.  And I cannot find any English versions of it anywhere. 

It occurs to me that there is probably a wealth of Catholic movies and cartoons that were produced for Hispanic audiences, and they were probably never translated.
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Apollonia

Quote from: LaramieHirsch on October 20, 2014, 10:09:19 PM
I enjoy digital media.  It is instructive and wondrous. 

I cherish movies, the internet, videogames--all of these modern marvels are extremely useful for passing on information. 

And for homeschool, I've been using film and cartoons to help educate the little ones. 

I wanted to find a video about St. Catherine of Siena.  And I found this:

Santa Catalina de Siena, maestra de oración

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ixkmoe10rE[/yt]

This is a great looking cartoon for the kids.  Problem is: we speak English, not Spanish.  And I cannot find any English versions of it anywhere. 

It occurs to me that there is probably a wealth of Catholic movies and cartoons that were produced for Hispanic audiences, and they were probably never translated.

There's no harm in learning foreign languages...

LaramieHirsch

Quote from: Apollonia on October 25, 2014, 05:41:00 AM

Indeed.  I think it'd be a great feat for the studios who created those hispanic films to learn English and make some English translations that catered to North American audiences.  Or even some translations for those East Asian Catholic markets.

Because there's no harm in learning foreign languages, and learning foreign languages is fun.
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Apollonia

Quote from: LaramieHirsch on November 02, 2014, 05:57:27 PM
Quote from: Apollonia on October 25, 2014, 05:41:00 AM

Indeed.  I think it'd be a great feat for the studios who created those hispanic films to learn English and make some English translations that catered to North American audiences.  Or even some translations for those East Asian Catholic markets.

Because there's no harm in learning foreign languages, and learning foreign languages is fun.

;D

Cesar_Augustus