Pork & beans

Started by JubilateDeo, June 29, 2016, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubilateDeo

I made a big pot of black beans to have over rice for dinner tonight.  I usually use a few strips of bacon in the pan at first, then remove the bacon and sautee the vegetables in the bacon fat before adding the beans and other ingredients, then I crumble up the bacon and add it back into the pot.  My question is, if I reserve some that didn't have any bacon added back, could I give that to my husband to take to work for Friday's lunch?

Penelope

I don't think so. Stocks and broths made from animals are also prohibited under the "no meats" rule. This seems like it'd fall into that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernadette

Quote from: Penelope on June 29, 2016, 01:22:04 PM
I don't think so. Stocks and broths made from animals are also prohibited under the "no meats" rule. This seems like it'd fall into that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. All this time, I thought they were allowed.  :-[
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

i though they were allowed too that was one of the few protein I was able to eat

My son gets bone broth too
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

St.Justin

From Father Z's blog http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/01/quaeritur-friday-fish-and-chips-cooked-in-beef-fat-wdtprs-poll-meatless-fridays/

"Prümmer says,

"The law of abstinence forbids eating meat and broth from meat, but not eggs, milk products, and also whatsoever condiments from the fat of animals."

Sabetti-Barrett says:

"QUAER. 2. Quid dicendum de usu laridi?

Resp. Certum est non licere illud edere per frustra...

What is to be said about the use of lard?

Resp. It is clear that it is not permitted to eat it groundlessly and for an accompaniment with bread, because it is considered meat. It is permitted to use it even in evening snacks (refectiuncula), either as a condiment or in order to cook foods, provided that beforehand it will have been liquified. ..."

Sabetti-Barrett  is from 1908
Prümmer 1915

Mattock

Quote from: St.Justin on June 29, 2016, 02:34:15 PM
From Father Z's blog http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/01/quaeritur-friday-fish-and-chips-cooked-in-beef-fat-wdtprs-poll-meatless-fridays/

"Prümmer says,

"The law of abstinence forbids eating meat and broth from meat, but not eggs, milk products, and also whatsoever condiments from the fat of animals."

Sabetti-Barrett says:

"QUAER. 2. Quid dicendum de usu laridi?

Resp. Certum est non licere illud edere per frustra...

What is to be said about the use of lard?

Resp. It is clear that it is not permitted to eat it groundlessly and for an accompaniment with bread, because it is considered meat. It is permitted to use it even in evening snacks (refectiuncula), either as a condiment or in order to cook foods, provided that beforehand it will have been liquified. ..."

Sabetti-Barrett  is from 1908
Prümmer 1915

It's refreshing to once again see how relaxed the Church is in her "mandatory" ascetic disciples. (They are mandatory, but at any given time -- given all the exceptions because of age, pregnancy, and illness -- a goodly half of Catholics need not worry about them.)

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 29, 2016, 02:14:08 PM
i though they were allowed too that was one of the few protein I was able to eat

My son gets bone broth too

I don't think the Church obliges abstinence of meat until 14 anyway. The pregnant and those chronically ill are also exempt from abstinence. So Ches, you guys are good either way.
For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire.

Heinrich

That would last until Friday? Not at my house. Sounds delicious! Thanks for the ideer.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Heinrich on June 29, 2016, 03:49:56 PM
That would last until Friday? Not at my house. Sounds delicious! Thanks for the ideer.

Here's the recipe I use:

5 thick strips of bacon,
1 big onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 14-oz cans tomato sauce
4 15-oz cans black beans (preferably Goya or another Hispanic brand)
2-4 packets Goya Sazon (or you can approximate your own w/ cumin, saffron, turmeric, and paprika)
a few pinches of  cilantro

Cook the bacon in the bottom of your pot until it's done, set aside.  Sautee the onion and pepper together in the bacon fat, cook until the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic and sautee for another minute or two, then add your tomato sauce and beans (don't drain the beans!!).  Sprinkle in the Sazon and the cilantro and simmer for about an hour.  Makes enough to feed a crowd with leftovers. 

Greg

If I ate that there really would be a Brexit.

60 million people straight down the tunnel to France
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Greg on June 29, 2016, 06:34:20 PM
If I ate that there really would be a Brexit.

60 million people straight down the tunnel to France

Maybe they'll come back to the UK when it's the season for cassoulet.

Greg

Maybe.  Depends on the prevailing winds.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jacafamala

Best to open a can of tuna tomorrow, Jubi.  ;)
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Jacafamala on June 29, 2016, 06:50:10 PM
Best to open a can of tuna tomorrow, Jubi.  ;)

HAHA..  I was hoping to avoid that!!

Bernadette

Quote from: JubilateDeo on June 29, 2016, 06:31:16 PM
Here's the recipe I use:

5 thick strips of bacon,
1 big onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 14-oz cans tomato sauce
4 15-oz cans black beans (preferably Goya or another Hispanic brand)
2-4 packets Goya Sazon (or you can approximate your own w/ cumin, saffron, turmeric, and paprika)
a few pinches of  cilantro

Cook the bacon in the bottom of your pot until it's done, set aside.  Sautee the onion and pepper together in the bacon fat, cook until the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic and sautee for another minute or two, then add your tomato sauce and beans (don't drain the beans!!).  Sprinkle in the Sazon and the cilantro and simmer for about an hour.  Makes enough to feed a crowd with leftovers.

I must eat this. I've never made beans before (not much of a cook), but this might just give me the push that I need.
My Lord and my God.

mikemac

Yum, sounds excellent over rice.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source