Linux Shangrila

Started by james03, September 26, 2020, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

I found the distro that I love.  Artix Linux.  I'm running it with the Xfrce desktop and OpenRC init system.  You can also use it with Runit or System V init.

It also can come with Mate or Cinnamon (Gnome before it was ruined)  and KDE.

Basically it is the non-systemd fork of Arch.  Packages are done with Pacman and you can use the official repo's or AUR using Yay.  Since it is derived from Arch, it has everything you can imagine.  However you pick what you want, it comes very basic, which I love.  For example, I had to install the archive manager for zip and tar.  Didn't come with it, but installed in a few seconds with Pacman.

I'm also really liking Xfrce.  Seems to do everything I want with a lot less bloat.

Only real problem I had was installing Libre Office.  A library dependency was not available.  I used Git and compiled it myself.  No problems after that.  By the way the non-linear solver in Calc is pretty slick.  Already used it on a project.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a non-systemd Linux, take a look at this distro.  Insall was fast and easy.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

TheReturnofLive

But I need Microsoft to know how many photos I look at per day.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Greg

I would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if the could make head of tail of it.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

QuoteI would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if the could make head of tail of it.

TL;DR version:

Many people come to LInux to escape the bloat, spying, and instability of Windows.  Not long ago Linux was infiltrated and systemd was added.  Systemd basically turns Linux into Windows and is a security nightmare.  I'm discussing a new version of Linux that goes back to the pre-systemd days, i.e. a return to the Unix philosophy: each part does something simple and does it well.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Greg

Quote from: Greg on September 26, 2020, 09:47:28 PM
I would like to take the OP back to the 1950s and see if they could make head or tail of it.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

maryslittlegarden

I put MX linux (https://mxlinux.org) on my laptop a couple of weeks ago. It's my current favorite linux distro.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on September 28, 2020, 12:12:49 PM
I put MX linux (https://mxlinux.org) on my laptop a couple of weeks ago. It's my current favorite linux distro.

I have a spare laptop now that I could/should convert to Linux. Maybe now's the time!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on September 28, 2020, 12:16:09 PM

I have a spare laptop now that I could/should convert to Linux. Maybe now's the time!

You can download the os if you are really tech savvy - and burn it on a cd or thumb drive.  I buy from this placehttps://www.shoplinuxonline.com/  - much easier.  :):):)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on September 28, 2020, 12:19:17 PM
Quote from: Lynne on September 28, 2020, 12:16:09 PM

You can download the os if you are really tech savvy - and burn it on a cd or thumb drive.  I buy from this placehttps://www.shoplinuxonline.com/  - much easier.  :):):)

I love easy.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Hat And Beard

Quote from: james03 on September 26, 2020, 07:45:40 PM
Basically it is the non-systemd fork of Arch.

My hat's off to anyone that's willing to go through the trouble of avoiding systemd, but for me it's just too easy to use ubuntu/debian/fedora to justify it. I also like being able to install spotify, slack, vs code, postman, telegram, etc.- it's nice to have parity with windows.

james03

You might give Artix a try.  If it's on the Arch or AUR repository, it will be on Artix.  I don't use any of the programs you list, so don't know.

Another thing, you can use a program called debtap to convert a deb package to an arch package.  I recently did this for a third party engineering package that was only available in a deb package.  I'd bet you can run all of your programs on Artix if you are currently running them on Ubuntu.

Just checked on some of them.  It's there:  telegram-desktop 2.4.2-1.  Spotify is on the AUR.  yay -S spotify will give you the program.

james03

QuoteI have a spare laptop now that I could/should convert to Linux. Maybe now's the time!

Probably start with MINT linux.  I've never run it, but supposedly it is crafted for people used to windows.

TheReturnofLive

Put on your slippers and sit by the fire
You've reached your top and you just can't get any higher
You're in your place and you know where you are
In your Shangri-la
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: james03 on October 03, 2020, 08:22:45 PM
QuoteI have a spare laptop now that I could/should convert to Linux. Maybe now's the time!

Probably start with MINT linux.  I've never run it, but supposedly it is crafted for people used to windows.

Mint is very user friendly if you are used to windows.  Elementary linux is supposed to be good for people who are used to macs. 

paul14

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on October 04, 2020, 12:01:55 AM
Put on your slippers and sit by the fire
You've reached your top and you just can't get any higher
You're in your place and you know where you are
In your Shangri-la

Lost Horizon (1973) Opening Theme

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYfSAcEyNs[/yt]