Fleas!

Started by verenaerin, July 23, 2013, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verenaerin

Ugh!

The weather has been horrible for months. I got mildew in the basement which I am trying to get a handle on. And now, my dog has broken toes with a splint. They told us that he had fleas. It looks to be pretty bad. I've never dealt with this before.  I've changed all the bedding, threw out his bed, vacuumed,  he has gotten treated twice, plus a flea bath yesterday. I dropped him off at the groomers and they called to say he still has fleas.

According to the vet it will take 3 months to get through the cycle.

Now every itch I have, every twitch I am freaking out that it is a flea.

I hate bugs, hate, hate, hate them.

Hopefully I don't have to bomb my house.

Habitual_Ritual

If you can contain him to one or two rooms and lay diatomaceous earth on the floors, this helps to kill fleas. Capstar is the best flea treatment too.Other brands can be highly toxic.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

verenaerin

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on July 23, 2013, 12:37:09 PM
If you can contain him to one or two rooms and lay diatomaceous earth on the floors, this helps to kill fleas. Capstar is the best flea treatment too.Other brands can be highly toxic.

That's a good idea. I can easily limit him to 2 rooms. I don't have carpets- thank God. I am cautious to add any powder or such because I have asthma as well as my daughter.

Do you think mopping gets rid of them? Then throwing the mop in the washer and dryer?

piabee

My mom fries the cat a chicken liver for dinner every night. She claims that it makes the blood bitter so the fleas don't want it. I have no idea if this is an old Italian wive's tale, if it works, or if you want the bother of preparing an extra meal every night. Haha

verenaerin

What does she do on Friday?

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: verenaerin on July 23, 2013, 12:48:41 PM
Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on July 23, 2013, 12:37:09 PM

That's a good idea. I can easily limit him to 2 rooms. I don't have carpets- thank God. I am cautious to add any powder or such because I have asthma as well as my daughter.

Do you think mopping gets rid of them? Then throwing the mop in the washer and dryer?

diatomaceous earth works by putting holes into the exo-skeleton of the fleas when the contact it on the floor. They dry out and die. As long as they is no breeze or anyone kicking up the earth you should be OK. Wear a dust mask maybe if that helps.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Ancilla Domini

You might also try adding some garlic to his food. Most dogs and cats actually like it, but the fleas don't. Even just sprinkling a little garlic powder over their kibble seems to do the trick. :)

verenaerin

I am driving myself nuts. Every thing feels like a flea jumping on me. AHHHHHH!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have wished for an instant, immaculate, auto clean magical ability. That would be my dream super power.

Penelope

Have any of your kids come home with lice yet?

james03

Get the monthly drops or the pill that keeps the fleas off the dog.  I never had a problem with it with my dog.  Also, you have to vacuum daily to get the bastards.  Also, buy flea powder and sprinkle it anywhere there could be fleas.  Sprinkle the dog also even though he is given the pill.  I found that the daily vacuum with the flea powder breaks the cycle after a week.  The eggs get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.

With the flea drops/pill, you have to change brands every 6 months or so.  Check out the active ingredient and make sure it is different for the different brand.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

dymphna17

The drops work, but I've also seen feeding the dog a tablet of yeast work as well.  To kill the ones you've already got, mop your floors with borax acid.  Mule Team is a good brand.  It dries in the cracks of the wood floor and gets the eggs.  Kill those suckas!!!  Good luck!
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica