Flowers by the altar

Started by Relicario, July 22, 2014, 10:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relicario

What is your opinion on having flowers by the altar?

VeraeFidei

Well, it is not a matter of opinion - that is a fact. Now, one can debate the appropriate-ness of some flowers or floral arrangements, or how many of them there are, but flowers have a theological and historical relationship with the Altar. There is Church legislation about when flowers cannot be on the Altar, for example.

moneil

I'm sorry it is too late for me to look up and cite the regs, but flowers are (traditionally) NOT on the altar during Advent, Lent, and at Requiem Masses.  Otherwise, flowers give glory to God.

Jayne

A lot of flowers by an ornate altar looks overdone to me.  There is a Polish parish near me that does this.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Harlequin King

Awful, just awful; at least in that quantity. Augustus Pugin remarked that flowers were not suffered to be on altars before the 12th century, as well.

Kaesekopf

There is too much of a good thing.  Flowers are definitely one of those things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Archer

That is way too many.  They clutter and take away from the ornate beauty of the altar. I would get rid of all the flowers hanging off the top of the altar.  I would also take away some of the flowers off to the side of the tabernacle and just leave a couple of the large lily's. Less is more. 

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Relicario

Michael Wilson

I'm a flower guy myself: "more is better-less is worse"; sounds like something out of Animal Farm.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Relicario on July 23, 2014, 11:48:43 AM
Here is the same altar but with more flowers.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dfR_xG2hpmw/R_CtlWUfGdI/AAAAAAAACXM/CnU3YoBEUek/s1600/08_DM+051a.JPG

Who thought that was a good idea? This is merely a pre-VII form of liturgical vandalism.

Kaesekopf

Oh hey someone put a monstrance in that garden....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LouisIX

I can understand why one wouldn't like the first arrangement.  It certainly does obfuscate the ornamentation of the altar.  But the second one is absolutely ridiculous.  It looks like an altar that has been overgrown with vegetation after being left in a jungle.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

OCLittleFlower

I like the first example, as something for a major feast such as Easter, rather than for every Suday.  The second example is, IMO, absurd.  But then, it's the greenery that bugs me more than the flowers (I don't like greenery much).
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on July 23, 2014, 02:19:12 PM
I can understand why one wouldn't like the first arrangement.  It certainly does obfuscate the ornamentation of the altar.  But the second one is absolutely ridiculous.  It looks like an altar that has been overgrown with vegetation after being left in a jungle.

You can say that again.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

bben15

I like flowers on the altar. Not a lot of parishes do that anymore. But in my opinion, the picture of the altar the OP provided is way too much.