First Fridays

Started by Yankee, July 02, 2015, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee

I know there are websites that can tell me this, but I haven't found one that is satisfactory. What are the obligations? Just Mass/Communion and offer my intentions for the Sacred Heart? Is Confession required? Anything else? Thanks for the help
"What bad taste You have, Lord, to love me, hideous as I am; but do not, on any account, change that bad taste, lest I be exposed to the danger of Your putting an angel in my place." -St Teresa

Hiero of Syracuse

I'd like to know more about this. What are the obligations exactly? I am under the impression that one must receive communion on Friday. If so, than it would appear that I can't really fulfill this obligation as I go to confession on Saturdays. Is it permissible to say some prayers in honor of this devotion and make my confession and receive communion on the following day?

MundaCorMeum

I beleive the reqirement is Confession, Communion, and prayers for the intention of the Holy Father.  It must be done on the day of the First Friday of the month, for 9 consecutive Fridays.

Hiero, you could always do the First Saturday devotion, instead.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 02, 2015, 02:56:44 PM
I beleive the reqirement is Confession, Communion, and prayers for the intention of the Holy Father.  It must be done on the First Friday of the month, for 9 consecutive months.

Hiero, you could always do the First Saturday devotion, instead.  It is for 5 consecutive months.

I meant to modify my last post, not quote it....sorry

Yankee

You have to have Confession on that Friday? Sometimes devotions allow Confession within a week. I went last Saturday, that wouldn't count?
"What bad taste You have, Lord, to love me, hideous as I am; but do not, on any account, change that bad taste, lest I be exposed to the danger of Your putting an angel in my place." -St Teresa

MundaCorMeum

I also highly recommend Enthroning your home to the Sacred Heart, if you haven't done so.  We did it a few months ago, and it's been a really beautiful devotion for our family. 

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Yankee on July 02, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
You have to have Confession on that Friday? Sometimes devotions all Confession within a week. I went last Saturday, that wouldn't count?

I don't think so.  What you are talking about is for indulgences. This is a particular devotion. 

The requirements are listed here, if you scroll down a little:  https://www.fisheaters.com/sh.html

I would think you'd need specific permission from a priest to change the devotion requirements.

Yankee

Thanks for the answer. This website does not mention Confession. Is it possible that, that is instead the obligation for First Saturdays devotions? Or is this website wrong- which is entirely possible. Like I said, I am finding it difficult to find an authoritative webpage:
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=876

MundaCorMeum

Hmmm...this site: http://www.catholictradition.org/Two-Hearts/devotion12.htm doesn't list confession, either.  I only looked at the Fisheater's one before, And I haven't done the First Friday devotion, yet.  Perhaps it's just Mass and Communion.  I'll look over my paperwork from when we did our Enthronement later, and see what it says.  This is a new devotion for us, so I'm not as knowledgeable on it as I'd like to be. 

Michael Wilson

Promise #12:
12.   I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months,the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
There is no requirement for Confession to fulfill the request of reparation to the Sacred Heart and gain the "Great Promise".
"No dying in disgrace" i.e. Mortal Sin.
"Final penitence". i.e. Perfect Contrition and the state of Grace.
"Receiving their Sacraments" i.e. Extreme Unction, Holy Viaticum, and if necessary, Confession before death.
So easy, but how many people take advantage of this?
Re. "Confession"?  You probably are thinking of the devotion of the "Five First Saturdays"; which requires Confession, Communion and meditating on the 15 mysteries of the Rosary for five consecutive First Saturdays.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Hiero of Syracuse

But you still have to be in a state of grace before receiving communion and it has been my custom to  always go to Confession before receiving. I think my reluctance to receive might be due to scrupulosity though. Although I don't want to give myself credit where none is due, I am not sure if I commit mortal sins that often, so maybe I'll be okay in receiving on Friday and Confessing on the following day (provided my sins aren't mortal).

Michael Wilson

Five First Saturdays: http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix2.htm
Our Lady then spoke: "See, my daughter, my Heart encircled by thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. Do you, at least, strive to console me. Tell them that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, in order to make reparation to me, on the First Saturday of five successive months, go to confession, receive Holy Communion, say five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for a quarter of an hour, meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary."

The elements of this devotion, therefore, consist in the following four points, all of which must be offered in reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. One should make this intention before carrying out Our Lady's requests. A renewal of the actual intention at the time is best; however, if such an intention is made now, it will fulfill the requirements if, for instance, the actual intention is forgotten at the time of confession.

Confession: This confession can be made before the First Saturday or afterward, provided that Holy Communion be received in the state of grace. In 1926, Christ in a vision explained to Lucia that this confession could be made a week before or even more, and that it should be offered in reparation.
Holy Communion: Before receiving Holy Communion, it is likewise necessary to offer it in reparation to Our Lady. Our Lord told Lucia in 1930, "This Communion will be accepted on the following Sunday for just reasons, if my priests allow it so." So if work or school, sickness, or another just reason prevents the Communion on a First Saturday, with this permission it may be received the following Sunday. If Communion is transferred, any or all of the other acts of the devotion may also be performed on Sunday if the person so desires.
Rosary: The Rosary is a vocal prayer said while meditating upon the mysteries of Our Lord's life and Passion and Our Lady's life. To comply with the request of our Blessed Mother, it must be offered in reparation and said properly while meditating.
15-minute meditation: Also offered in reparation, the meditation may embrace one or more mysteries; it may include all, taken together or separately. This meditation should be the richest of any meditation, because Our Lady promised to be present when she said "...those who keep me company...."
To those who faithfully follow Our Lady's requests for the Five First Saturdays, she has made a wonderful promise which she, as Mediatrix of All Graces, will certainly fulfill: "I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation." This means that our Blessed Mother will be present at the hour of death with the actual grace of final perseverance, (which after the gift/grace of Faith), is the most important grace.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Hiero of Syracuse

That's very consoling especially about the part about holy Communion.  Thank you Mr. Wilson. I much appreciate this.

Michael Wilson

MundaCorMeum

Thank you for that, Michael  :). That's a bit clearer.