Question about dates in history books

Started by Daniel, September 06, 2020, 01:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

When history books give the date of a past event that occurred prior to the Gregorian calendar, is the date generally given using the Julian calendar, or is the date "updated" so to speak? Or does it vary depending on who wrote the book?

aquinas138

Quote from: Daniel on September 06, 2020, 01:20:26 PM
When history books give the date of a past event that occurred prior to the Gregorian calendar, is the date generally given using the Julian calendar, or is the date "updated" so to speak? Or does it vary depending on who wrote the book?

I don't know that it's terribly consistent, but it definitely can depend on where and when it was written. Many European countries took centuries to adopt the Gregorian calendar, even for civil dates. We say that George Washington was born on February 22, but he was actually born on February 11 in the Old Style. Britain adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1752, and Washington himself started to observe his birthday on the 22nd from that year.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Santantonio

I don't like to link to Wikipedia, however, some basic background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_of_the_Gregorian_calendar

Hence, the only books which would not automatically employ the Gregorian calandar
which includes date modifications were printed or written before its adoption.

Ecclesiastical history was, of course, date-modified in the late 16th century.

The only place you see unmodified dates are in original copies or facsimilies.
Bede, Alcuin of York, Geoffrey of Monmouth, Jerome, etc.

Alnitak

From what I've seen, dates pre-1582 are almost always given in the Julian calendar that they were originally recorded in.

Prayerful

Any good historian will note any OS and NS calendar issues in his introduction.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.