How's it growin?

Started by Lydia Purpuraria, April 23, 2014, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lydia Purpuraria

Does anybody here garden? 

I started some veggie seeds this winter- using all old seed packets- so I'm not surprised that I'm having only nominal success with germination.  Anybody growing (planning to grow) anything different/unique/shareworthy this year?

Does anyone else sometimes make decisions on what to buy/plant based off of Catholic sounding variety names?  For example, I've been wanting to put a clematis in a certain spot in my front yard.  Went to the store today and picked up Dr.Ruppel...had to exchange it when I saw "Maria Therese".

Arun

we grow a few things. tomatoes usually, had some lettuce this year but we didn't really eat much so it just sat there and flowered. pumpkins, potatoes. all the easy to grow stuff really. had some broccoli in last year but it didn't really come up very well. also we have a lot of fruit growing around here too, in season. raspberry, grapes, tamarillos, passionfruit, feijoa, and a couple other things i think too.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Arun on April 23, 2014, 05:42:11 PM
we grow a few things. tomatoes usually, had some lettuce this year but we didn't really eat much so it just sat there and flowered. pumpkins, potatoes. all the easy to grow stuff really. had some broccoli in last year but it didn't really come up very well. also we have a lot of fruit growing around here too, in season. raspberry, grapes, tamarillos, passionfruit, feijoa, and a couple other things i think too.

Wow- you grow a lot of stuff, you must have a decent sized yard?

What is feijoa? 

The same thing happened with us as far as lettuce bolting...we used some of it and then kind of "forgot about it".  Our broccoli did ok as long as I smashed the little worms off the leaf undersides, I never get around to getting row covers (as I hear this keeps the loopers at bay?)

piabee

I want to get some herbs started but I haven't decided if I want to put them inside or outside. My apartment faces north so not a lot of sun. I also killed both of my houseplants and the bulbs I was forcing never flowered. To be fair, one of the plants was a poinsettia that lasted about a year longer than I expected it to. I do prune the rosebush in front of the building and it is GORGEOUS.

Mono no aware

I used to have a garden, but I gave it up a couple years ago.  Now I just grow jalapeño, habanero, and banana peppers in pots on the deck.  Basil, too.

Arun

we have a reasonably big yard. we used to graze a horse in the back section, but the horse's owner who used to live across the road has moved away now. i was thinking about getting a toggenburg goat to graze out there and milk so i could make chevre cheese. mmm.

in terms of Catholic names for strains of fruits and vegies, i think it would be awesome if some medical marijuana growers were to develop strains with Catholic-related names. imagine seeing those in the dispensary lol.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Ancilla Domini

Water here is too scarce to make growing fruits and vegetables cost effective. We mainly grow meat. :)