VP Joe Biden Refuses to Kiss Pope's Ring Due to His "Dignity"

Started by LouisIX, March 22, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Jill Biden is likely wearing a veil because that's what women are supposed to do when meeting a pope (although I was under the impression that that was for private audiences...). Note that she's wearing all black, as is the custom for women when meeting the pope, unless they are queens, in which case they wear all white, veil included.

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 22, 2013, 08:44:50 AM
Even Kennedy refused to kiss Paul VI's ring.

Are we certain of this? His wife certainly did.

Here is a short an interesting piece of film.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmssehvA2E[/yt]

I know that JFK was extremely conscience of not looking like a fool. He would never ever wear a hat given him at an event, etc. Perhaps visiting him as head of state he was advised not to kiss the ring.

Those were different times and his wife kissing it was a nice touch.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Gerard

Notice that at that time, the Pope was demonstrably seated higher than anyone he was meeting?  I think it was JPII who did away with that. 

Christknight104

Quote from: LouisIX on March 22, 2013, 05:28:38 AM
Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:27:05 AM
Not surprising, but I'm shocked his wife is wearing a veil.  She might just be trying to fit in.

I thought the same.  Do many women wear veils at St. Peter's, however?  I would guess not, but I've never been.

It is Vatican protocol for Queens and First ladies to dress in black and cover their heads with a veil when visiting the pope.

Mrs. Laura Bush:

Queen Elizabeth II

Innocent Smith

Interesting point on the pope being higher, Gerard. Thanks for making it.

One other point. I never heard of the Queen having a ring to kiss. What on earth is Biden talking about?

Does he mean he will not bow and his wife will not curtsy?

Of course being that it is Biden, perhaps he is talking about kissing some queen's ring. As in a TG.

I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Innocent Smith

QuoteBiden, a Roman Catholic descended from struggling Irish immigrants, says his dad said it was "all about dignity."

Biden says his mother told him that no one is "better" than him. And while Biden should treat everyone with respect, his mother said her son should also "demand respect.'"

Judging by his hotel bill for one night in Paris, it would appear he is getting what he is demanding. Now I know that Paris is expensive by $585,000 for one night?

He must have been hitting the mini bar pretty hard.

Biden's One-Night Paris Hotel Tab: $585,000.50

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Archer

Quote from: stitchmom on March 22, 2013, 10:41:56 AM
That wasn't an example of twisting a Bible story to fit something crazy.

But you did use the bible to try and make a point about females. A point that I could easily turn around and make in support of males.

You say don't assume something about a woman. All i did was say fine and provided a source. I'm curious why you're so anxious to stick up for a pro abortion woman?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:32:38 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that Italian women often still cover their heads when in Church.  I can't remember where I heard or read it so I have no idea if I'm way off the mark.  But it would make more sense for her to do it as a culture thing rather than out of understanding and respect.

I didn't see veiled women in Italy -- I've spent a month there on two different occasions, always going to church with relatives.

And in the famous churches like St. Peter's, most people are tourists anyway.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 01:00:36 PM

But you did use the bible to try and make a point about females. A point that I could easily turn around and make in support of males.

You say don't assume something about a woman. All i did was say fine and provided a source. I'm curious why you're so anxious to stick up for a pro abortion woman?

Perhaps Stitchmom didn't know that Jill Biden is in favor of abortion.

I'd never even heard the woman's name before this thread.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Archer

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 22, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 05:32:38 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that Italian women often still cover their heads when in Church.  I can't remember where I heard or read it so I have no idea if I'm way off the mark.  But it would make more sense for her to do it as a culture thing rather than out of understanding and respect.

I didn't see veiled women in Italy -- I've spent a month there on two different occasions, always going to church with relatives.

And in the famous churches like St. Peter's, most people are tourists anyway.

Fair enough.  Like I said I'm probably off the mark.  I don't know where I remember hearing that. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Archer

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 22, 2013, 01:22:18 PM
Quote from: Archer on March 22, 2013, 01:00:36 PM

Perhaps Stitchmom didn't know that Jill Biden is in favor of abortion.

I'd never even heard the woman's name before this thread.

A fair point.  But you'd think that before you stuck up for somebody you might do a little bit of research.  She isn't exactly a nobody, it took me less than 15 seconds to find that article using google. 

I thought her use of the bible and assessment of the discussion was extremely biased towards women.  Like referencing the Bible was a trump card or something.   

Archer

Quote from: Innocent Smith on March 22, 2013, 12:37:55 PM
QuoteBiden, a Roman Catholic descended from struggling Irish immigrants, says his dad said it was "all about dignity."

Biden says his mother told him that no one is "better" than him. And while Biden should treat everyone with respect, his mother said her son should also "demand respect.'"

Judging by his hotel bill for one night in Paris, it would appear he is getting what he is demanding. Now I know that Paris is expensive by $585,000 for one night?

He must have been hitting the mini bar pretty hard.

Biden's One-Night Paris Hotel Tab: $585,000.50

That's obscene.  I can't fathom spending that much money in one night. 

Greg

I've seen people do more in Russia.

I guess they have to book the entire hotel for security purposes.  Still comes to $500 per room per night though.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

CamelliaSinensis

Quote from: Gerard on March 22, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
Notice that at that time, the Pope was demonstrably seated higher than anyone he was meeting?  I think it was JPII who did away with that.
We were at least doing it again during diplomatic audiences with B16 sitting in the elevated throne, higher then the audience. Alas, Pope Francis has returned us to the white chair days again.  :(