Question for old people - vulgarity

Started by Kaesekopf, August 27, 2015, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

For you old folks, I have a question....

Is society more vulgar now than it was in the past?

It seems a lot of folks are loose with vulgar and offensive language (your standard cusswords, etc) nowadays.  Since I'm only 20-something, I don't know what it was like a few decades ago. 

Thanks!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

erin is nice

Kaesekopf

Miriam_M

Given K's definition, I'm old, so therefore qualified to respond.

Yes, society is much more vulgar than in my youth, but my youth was also more vulgar than that of my parents.  Or, to refine this, vulgarity was more limited to certain occasions & settings.  Generally, women and children were spared the worst vulgarity, which tended to be limited to bars patronized by men, to men's locker rooms, to military barracks.  As far as being published, it wasn't in mainstream media, as it is today, much more limited to certain avant-garde novels, "art films,"  and smut stores.

It was not a mark of pride or "liberation" for a woman to use the kind of vulgarity uttered today by women in many movies and IRL.  Rather, it was considered an embarrassing revelation of lack of class.

Kaesekopf

That was my impression, Miriam.  It seems so rampant nowadays, having even permeated somewhat-'respected' journalistic outlets, that I wasn't sure if I just didn't see it because I was a teenager/kid, or if it has gotten worse.

jovan66102

Well, by the definition, I must be ancient, since I'm 68! But, my answer is, yes. I hear words in pubs and general conversation that I seldom heard 50+ years ago.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

dymphna17

Hubby and I were talking about this just the other day.  We were watching a "family" type show and the words dick and pussy were used frequently.  We were both shocked and started noticing it in other shows as well.  In another show the word shit was used and not beeped out.  We knew it was coming soon because you can go to the stupid grocery store and hear kids telling their parents FU when they don't get what they want.  Most people now don't have dignity or as Miriam said, a lack of class.  The lack of God is clearly visible. 
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Lynne

hahaha wow

Yeah, I'm old... <sigh>

Yes, I can't believe how vulgar the world is now, women's clothes, books, TV (especially TV). I knew things were getting bad when several years ago, my daughter (who was 10 at the time?) and I were watching some movie on the Disney channel and the lead girl character mentioned something about a hickey.

I still remember the Dick Van Dyke Show, a weekly sit-com in which the married couple slept in twin beds.

I don't know what it's like at malls and such because I tend to avoid them. You don't hear or see too much vulgarity at quilt stores.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

orate

Another ancient here.  Yes, it is very much more vulgar now.  In my youth, a lady would never use the vulgar language that is common now.  And my parents generation  probably thought my hippie boomer generation was crude.  But we were nowhere near as vulgar as what is accepted now.

I once let slip the a-word (a beast of burden or a part of one's lower anatomy) in front of my mother as I was driving and someone cut me off.  I thought I would die and wanted to melt into my seat.  I immediately apologized.  And though my mom was very gracious about it, I felt horrible about it.  You just did not use any kind of vulgarity in front of my mom!

I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Kaesekopf

As a note, I don't mean old as a pejorative.  It's OK to be old.  :)

I appreciate the wisdom and insight.  It's hard to know about the past without folks who were there and conscious for it. 

Bernadette

Quote from: orate on August 27, 2015, 01:20:56 PM
I once let slip the a-word (a beast of burden or a part of one's lower anatomy) in front of my mother as I was driving and someone cut me off.  I thought I would die and wanted to melt into my seat.  I immediately apologized.  And though my mom was very gracious about it, I felt horrible about it.  You just did not use any kind of vulgarity in front of my mom!

Oh, man, I still remember the first time I cursed in front of my grandma. Someone had left a hot (metal) pot lid on the counter next to the sink, without a potholder on it, and I was washing some dishes and picked up the pot lid to wash it, too. Yikes. I was absolutely mortified. You just didn't do that kind of thing, as a mark of respect.

About ten years ago, I went to a PG movie with my older brother and sister. It was a re-make of Jumanji, but with a space-themed game instead.The nine-year-old character called his brother a d***, in front of their dad, and the dad didn't even bat an eyelash. That was when I knew things had changed. That kind of thing isn't even corrected in the movies or TV anymore, so of course kids pick it up even if their parents don't use the language themselves. Contrast with Ralphie in A Christmas Story, which I think came out in the 80s.
My Lord and my God.

orate

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 27, 2015, 01:27:27 PM
As a note, I don't mean old as a pejorative.  It's OK to be old.  :)

I appreciate the wisdom and insight.  It's hard to know about the past without folks who were there and conscious for it.

No offense taken.  I'm glad I lived to be old! :lol: :grin:
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

ResRev

Uh, I guess I'm old...I expend a lot of energy telling myself I'm not, but now that it's been confirmed... :lol:

Media is worse. Music, movies, television, just everything.

IRL I don't notice a huge difference, really. I grew up in a rough family situation, so I don't see much difference between what I grew up with and what I hear now.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13